SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there any practical difference between 9mm HST and 45 ACP HST in performance?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there any practical difference between 9mm HST and 45 ACP HST in performance? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I carry Critical Duty, but after some extensive gel tests across different calibers and loads, I’ve come to the following conclusions/loads with the modern ammo we have today:

In short-barreled 9mms, I use Federal 150gr HST. Low recoil and low muzzle flash. If that’s not available, I use std. pressure 147gr HST.

In 4” or longer 9mms, I use Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P, but, especially for longer barrels (Beretta 92, Browning Hi-Power, Glock 34, Walther Q5) I’m liking Lehigh Defense 90gr FTM +Ps.

When I first started in LE, we had to carry a 4” 357 Mag. The issue ammo was Remington 125gr SJHP, but we could carry other ammo if we provided it for ourselves. I usually carried 145gr Silvertips (not a great choice, but it was the 80s, so not many options).

In the early 90s they let us switch to semi-autos, provided they were in 10mm or 45. I was the only 10mm guy.

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
IMHO, I would have both. I carry a P938 SAS in the summer and carry my P220 SAS in the winter. Carry what you are most comfortable and train with. I don't feel under equipped with either and carry Federal HST's in both.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump. I stumbled on some standard pressure 147gr HST to try in the Shield and CZ P-01.

I’m looking forward to testing.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BUMPING this up. Like a lot of posts here there's
lots of good info.

Posts: 146 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Ummm... did anyone notice the 230 gr Ranger T that expanded to 1 inch and still penetrated 14 inches? Holy hell!!!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gun Sam Revolver aficianado has a lot of really good tests on youtube

I will say that I have used the +p vesrions of 147 9mm and the 230 grain 45 to take whitetail deer. Both from 5" 1911s. Though the expansion difference was not enough to matter and neither deer died any faster or slower. Both were heart shot about 12 yards from the same blind and both expired within 35 yards. Neither bullet exited the off side but both broke a rib upon entry and got full exoansion, coming to rest in the hide on the offside.

"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"

Posts: 317 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The standard pressure 147 grain HST appears to give more penetration that the standard pressure .45 ACP HST. If you look at the Lucky Gunner video of the ballistic gelatin testing of these two HST loads, the .45 ACP HST produces a righteous temporary stretch cavity, more so than the 147 grain HST, but I'll take the extra penetration of the 147 grain load. Also, the 147 grain HST is a pussycat to shoot- the lightest recoiling of any 9mm HST load. The HST which seems to be the best of both worlds is the +P loading of the 124 grain HST- large (and longish) temporary stretch cavity and excellent penetration.

Moving away from the choices listed, what really impresses me is the Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P. IIRC, this is the FBI's new duty load. Excellent penetration and a largish, long temporary stretch cavity.

I've got 500 rounds of this stashed away but haven't yet had the opportunity to try it out in my Glocks. I think if I were a law enforcement officer, this is the load I'd want in my pistol. Hornady does caution that this load was not developed for and is not intended to be used in short-barreled 9mm pistols. I take that to mean any barrel shorter than about 3.75". I think in a 4.5" G17, the Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P would be a superb self defense load, capable of being effective even after penetrating auto glass. Also, I ran into some testing on youtube a while back which demonstrated that although the HST is an advanced hollowpoint design, it still is a hollowpoint and therefore can clog and fail to expand under certain circumstances (very heavy clothing), whereas the Hornady bullet design has that polymer tip in the cavity and is essentially immune to clogging.

A real sleeper, though, appears to be the Hornady Critical Duty 124 grain, which is available only in +P. I've got some of this put away, too, but as with the 135 grain stuff, haven't yet had the opportunity to try it out. In order to feel comfortable with using a new load, I have to shoot quite a bit of it out of whichever particular pistol I intend it for. I don't make any snap decisions when it comes to this. Test, test, test and test some more.

As it stands, though, I use Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P in my home defense G17 (primarily because I know this pistol/ammo combination very well, after years of use). I use standard pressure Federal HST in my CCW G19, and the same load in +P in my CCW G26. Why the difference? Because these load are what I shoot best in the respective pistols.

Excellent write up, para. Completely agree with everything you said.

Posts: 636 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the often cited FBI report:

http://gundata.org/images/fbi-handgun-ballistics.pdf

He address diameter on page 10, and I am paraphrasing, since I can't seem to cut and paste his exact words:

As to diameter, he says the larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding ... but that edge can not be quantified.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
all im saying is that 115+115= 230 LOL

I do know (personally) an officer that was involved in an OIS w/the hornady critical duty 135gr, he shot thru a car back windshield and struck the suspect in the forehead from a distance of about 8 yards, the round only dented, yes dented, the suspects forehead and did not penetrate, maybe a fluke maybe not. IDK but it (the round) had not garnered much respect from its users then(@ 5 years ago).

big holes make big holes. FWIW I run a 40 cal glock with 180 gr Ranger Ts
and my pers pref is the 357 sig when I can get it

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Purely the opinion of a middle-aged fat man:

In which platform will your carry ammo and your practice ammo have the most similar recoil impulse and POI?

If your practice volume is financially limited, which can you afford to shoot more?

Is a SIRT trainer/other simulator available for the platform?

Will you use/buy such a simulator?

Which platform are you willing to be familiar with?

EG, I usually carry/shoot a snubbie with wadcutters. The POA/POI line up very well, and I practice with the ammo I carry.

My brother is one of those annoyingly gifted shooters, and carries a 7.5 on a ranch in S Texas, to make snap shots on pigs, when he can’t get to his AR 10 fast enough, as do the other folks on the ranch, but I think that’s a particular situation.

In my father’s generation, men carried longer barreled SAA in 357, but also mostly rode. (Predated the era of the 4 wheeler.)

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .45 ACP Nut:
The .45 acp round does make a larger initial hole.

Troy Fowler, a rather divisive / controversial character in the bow hunting world promotes the use of what he calls "A plan B arrow". Meaning anything works great if it hits them in the prefect spot, and/or the arrow head works exactly like it's supposed to. But this arrow system will work pretty good even when it doesn't.

I think the .45 can be looked at today as a plan B arrow.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post