SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do I need for my SW Shield 9mm (Apex trigger)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need for my SW Shield 9mm (Apex trigger) Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I picked up a Shield from a friend. Everyone I have mentioned it to says to get an Apex trigger. Can you guys point me in the right direction for what to get? Can I install myself? Local shop has a kit that doesn't include an Apex trigger but will reduce the trigger pull a bunch for me. So that is probably something I want, link below. But it doesn't seem to include a trigger. Do I need this kit or just a trigger or both? Totally new to me. Massachusetts so I have a 10lb trigger pull now.

https://www.massfirearmsshop.c...manufacturers_id=890

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that MA mandated a 10 pound trigger pull.

On the apex stuff,you can buy the springs, the trigger or both together. Brownells has a few options, but eBay, google shopping, apex website, etc... will get you what you are looking for.

http://www.brownells.com/handg...igger-prod78716.aspx

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I have installed a few APEX S&W kits including the DCAEK with aluminum trigger for the shield and that's the one I'd recommend for you. The "wall" made the gun unshootable (accurately) before. Now it's very nice. You can install it yourself and it's pretty straightforward. I would personally recommend using the OEM trigger spring in place of the heavier one Apex includes. Apex has good videos on youtube.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
watch these all the way through before you begin

https://youtu.be/GuVeqLc-ESU

https://youtu.be/pKvzfG4mBcI

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
frayedends:
Remember the Shield is designed SD pistol not a range pistol. The stock trigger is fine for SD in that everything is sky high at that moment and usually within two or three seconds and often garlic breath distance. (Been there and did it)
I have two Shields (No manual safety) and they're stock with the exception of night sights. Not even sure they're really needed.
Fire five hundred rounds through it (at least) and then decide on any mods. A 6.5 lb. trigger is desirable for a SD pistol.
If the "problem" ever comes up you won't notice a 20 pound trigger!
G'luck and stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Place near me said they do install with the flat trigger for $145. After watching the videos I think I'll leave this up to the pros.

I do realize it's not a range gun. But I do shoot low and left with it and compared to my Sig it's not me. Many folks have told me that it's the trigger. So when money is available I may get it done.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MA 10-lb. trigger rule only applies to dealer sales. There is no prohibition on owners reducing pull. $145 is too much for a DCAEK install: kit is $85 and install takes half an hour. Only tool required is a 1/8" roll pin punch.

Posts: 55 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
But I do shoot low and left with it and compared to my Sig it's not me.

That sounds familiar. Didnt we just do this in a recent thread?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RKG:
The MA 10-lb. trigger rule only applies to dealer sales. There is no prohibition on owners reducing pull. $145 is too much for a DCAEK install: kit is $85 and install takes half an hour. Only tool required is a 1/8" roll pin punch.

Yup I know the rule doesn't apply to me being an owner. But can you point me to a place to buy the kit with trigger for $85? I'll do it myself for that savings.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Can you point me to the thread?

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can you point me to the thread?

The poster deleted his material and left. Spoiler summary: he was absolutely sure the problem was his pistol(s), and not him.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5220056424

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I shot my new Shield .45 today and was shooting low and left myself. Wasn't the gun, just took a little getting used to. By the end of the session I was hitting in the 10 ring consistently at 12 yards. I'll take that all day long with a gun that small.

But to be fair, when I don't shoot for a while I'll shoot low left with my Glock 19 too.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I guess it could be me. I posted about it on a local forum right after I shot and 3 people told me the trigger job fixed this. So I figured if that many quick replies I may as well have it done.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have searched online everywhere. Looks like you may be thinking of the kit without the trigger. They charge $100 for that installed. $145 with the trigger actually seems a good deal based on what I can find online.

These go to eleven.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it could be me. I posted about it on a local forum right after I shot and 3 people told me the trigger job fixed this. So I figured if that many quick replies I may as well have it done.

It is possible that the trigger job would fix it. It's trigger control, a 5# trigger is easier to pull straight to the rear than a 10# trigger. Spend some time in dry fir and grip harder with your support hand, that will fix the issue too, and possibly save you $145.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have searched online everywhere. Looks like you may be thinking of the kit without the trigger. They charge $100 for that installed. $145 with the trigger actually seems a good deal based on what I can find online.

I haven't seen the kit alone for that price, let alone including the install.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it could be me...

It's very likely you and I presume you are right-handed by your "low left" description. Does not mean that a trigger kit is a bad idea, but heavier triggers and unrefined trigger control result in being "off target" a bit. You can fix either or both. The latter being preferable. That way you can shoot any gun well enough to defend yourself.

By the way, I have an APEX kit in an M&P and really like it.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post