SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Defeated by the ruger mark 2. Update got it back together!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defeated by the ruger mark 2. Update got it back together!! Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have a Mk II and a Mk III. I got rid of the mag safety in the Mk III (that was a PITA for me but pretty cheap...bought a bushing of some sort for about $11 IIRC) and it shoots great but its such a pain to field strip and clean I hardly ever shoot it (am I overthinking this...dont need to fully disaseemble every time I clean it??).

The ca 1980 Mk I my dad gave me when I was 13 got stolen when I was in grad school.

With my Mk II the biggest issue was getting the receiver on far enough so that I could replace the hammer spring housing - the receiver and frame were tough to align properly to get the little cylindrival piece back up in the assembly to allow the housing to swing into the grip so it can be locked in place. I had to put a couple towels on the floor and push the barrel into the floor and lean on it a little to get it to go the last few MMs.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I just hose mine out and run a bore snake through the barrel.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have no trouble field stripping and reassembling my MKII (it gets much easier with practice).

Now replacing the trigger assembly with a Volquartsen accurizing kit, that's a real challenge for sure!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I just hose mine out and run a bore snake through the barrel.

^^^^ This. I run between 1 and 2 thousand rounds before I do a complete field strip. I've never had a problem doing this.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bamaman
posted Hide Post
A rubber mallet is my friend on my MK2 Smile

Posts: 500 | Location: N.E. Alabama | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My Mk I needed good hard blows to get the receiver off and on. A gunsmith friend, at my encouragement and his reluctance, tried a trigger job on it and it went very, very wrong. Sent it back to Ruger. They fixed the bollixed-up trigger (and made it absolutely perfect, I might add) and fixed the receiver/frame fitment. Never had a problem with it, since.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I haven't taken my MKIII apart yet, I have been putting it off! I have a few parts sitting here waiting for me to get the courage. I guess I am waiting on a day my wife and baby aren't home Smile

OP, hope you get it figured out.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
It's fairly straightforward.

Key points:
1. make sure the upper receiver is fully seated on the lower.
2. Hammer forward BUT strut behind the pin AND in the plunger when closing the latch.
3. If there's not a small amount of spring tension when closing the latch, remove the assembly pin and try again.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I used this video and it helped a lot. Nice lady made the video too. The block of wood really helped.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I had a Gunsmith I knew a while back take out the mag safety and install the spacer plug for the LCI on my MKIII. That was the first and only time it's been apart in the several years I've owned it.

It's the only gun I still use (non-chlorinated) brake cleaner on. I blast it out, clean it as well as I can with brushes, patches and a snake, then spray the bolt front and rear with CLP which foams up when it comes out of the tube. No problems yet.

When I do have to take it apart, I see no reason to take the receiver off the frame.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And then came the Mark IV. Competition works just the way Adam Smith - and many others - said it would. Hard to find a Mark IV in store or at a show. Would not take the previous Marks as a gift - life is too short.

Locals have wife shooting a Mark IV 22/45 Lite and, so far, it seems to be a match for her strength. She shot 150 rounds of CCI SV this afternoon (heat wave) hitting 25 yard gong almost every time and 50 yard gong much of the time. Only issues are the need for a long rod to push a patch through the barrel - but a snake does the job with ease - and a lot of force is needed to cock the internal hammer - but a wooden rod up the barrel helps and several people make things to clamp on the end of the slide/bolt to help. Mac

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The title of this thread made me chuckle before I even clicked on it. Smile

I took my first Mk 1 apart when I was 8 years old. Took me something like 2 weeks to get it back together. Have loved these pistols ever since. My Mk 2 Goverment is one of my most cherished firearms.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post

It's funny this came up. My son borrowed my MKIII. He broke it down to clean and he said he had not put it back together again. I found this video years ago. It's entertaining and useful. It's how I learned to put it back together again.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just an update, i got it back together!! thank you for all the help and advice.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it. The first time I tried to put my mark 3 22/45..I accidentally jam the pin into the slide. I spent 30 minutes wrestling, cursing, and frustrated. The same e,option as everyone else. The best tip...watch these video before a bunch and during the assembly. Take your time. Do not miss a step. And buy that bore snake.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neckbone
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mk II... the Rubik's cube of firearms.

Posts: 75 | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neckbone:
Ruger Mk II... the Rubik's cube of firearms.

Indeed. My first pistol was a 1983 MK II Standard which gave me fits. I recall the frustration of trying to reinstall the mainspring housing following the initial field strip & cleaning. I recently picked up this near mint 1993 KMK 678 Target at a local shop. Here's a photo of it detail stripped for cleaning. (Ruger does not recommend this degree of disassembly, though a certain amount is required to access the overtravel adjustment on the target models.) Reassembly is definitely an acquired skill and requires some patience. After 35 years I'm much more familiar with the MK II pistol though I still rely heavily upon on drawings and photos to determine the orientation of certain springs and small parts.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I hope the designer of the MK2 is burning somewhere near the ninth level of hades as we speak.

I don't know what, if any, level of Hades he is in, but Bill Ruger died in 2002.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
FYI for any still having trouble, this is the best resource I've found for working on the ruger 22s. Great pics and info.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on that hammer strut when you put the mainspring assembly back in.

Congrats on gettin her sorted out.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post