SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The “Obsolete” Glock 26 got me thinking. How far back would you go before you considered an arm not viable?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The “Obsolete” Glock 26 got me thinking. How far back would you go before you considered an arm not viable? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I think the only caveat to the question should be depending on what type of adversary you are facing. A burglar with a knife, or even a pistol is different than an organized, well trained home invasion team with modern weapons...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would limit myself to cartridge firing guns purely for convenience ( a fully loaded cap and ball 6 shooter would be as effective ballistic speaking as my Glock 42)
But plenty of people can put up a good fight with single action revolvers and lever guns.
I would not want to be on the wrong end of a couple single actions ran by a top cowboy action shooter for example) and both gunsite and thunder ranch run courses on how to fight with these type guns

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I would limit myself to cartridge firing guns purely for convenience ( a fully loaded cap and ball 6 shooter would be as effective ballistic speaking as my Glock 42)
But plenty of people can put up a good fight with single action revolvers and lever guns.
I would not want to be on the wrong end of a couple single actions ran by a top cowboy action shooter for example) and both gunsite and thunder ranch run courses on how to fight with these type guns

I almost mentioned my dad when I wrote my comment. He spent years competing in CAS and kept a Ruger Vaquero on his nightstand. I’ve see him shoot his lever action Winchester so fast it sounded like an AR and he hit every target he aimed at. There is no denying that either gun in his hands would have been more deadly than a Glock and an AR in untrained hands.

But of course most people, myself included, aren’t going to spend that much time perfecting the art of using those firearms unless absolutely necessary.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Id feel well armed with just about anything reasonable that uses brass cased cartridges and smokeless powder. Just have to train with it for a bit depending on the action.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, at least back to 1911 in .45.

Posts: 67 | Registered: August 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Well trained home invasion team? Unless we're talking a SWAT team serving a warrant, I don't know who trains home invasion teams.

Usually multiperson home invasions are carried out by a few POS gang bangers who flee at the first shot in their direction. No training involved.

quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
I think the only caveat to the question should be depending on what type of adversary you are facing. A burglar with a knife, or even a pistol is different than an organized, well trained home invasion team with modern weapons...

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I would say when ammunition for said gun is barely produced, hard to find for a reasonable amount, and cannot be easily converted to another caliber.

Any gun in .356TSW or .41 Magnum are the first two that come to mind.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^ My LGS carries both of those.

I bought all of their 7.65mm Parabellum last time, so they are out of those, but they have about 10 boxes of 45 GAP.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The oldest I have CC'd was made in the 1930's -- a sport model Colt Woodsman.

I was perfectly fine with it, given the limitations of a 10-shot .22LR. But it's reliable, accurate, with a very good trigger, and just the right size to shoot naturally. Far better than any competitor in current production that I know of. Which does strike me as ironic.

There are several 100-year-old autos that I may eventually purchase and CC, so long as they are accurate and reliable.

I tend to disfavor the old ones when I feel the need for lots of firepower -- deep magazines, etc. But I'm normally not in that kind of state.

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Anything that did not use smokeless powder in a self contained cartridge, only because I wouldn't be confident in MY ability to load it, with equivalent performance less than a modern 380.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
^^^ My LGS carries both of those.

I bought all of their 7.65mm Parabellum last time, so they are out of those, but they have about 10 boxes of 45 GAP.

Does he have Bren 10 magazines, too? The only brand I've seen making anything in .356TSW was Underwood Ammo and they were out of that, too.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Viable? Any cartridge based repeating firearm. A Peacemaker wouldn’t be IDEAL, but it isn’t any less effective than it was in 1873.

If I could only own one handgun, it would most likely be one of my 1911s. But then I’m reaching that point in life where nostalgia and the desire to make things simpler start to meet.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I would have to load the powder and bullet separately to consider it obsolete Razz

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
^^^ My LGS carries (356TSW & 41 Mag).

Does he have Bren 10 magazines, too? The only brand I've seen making anything in .356TSW was Underwood Ammo and they were out of that, too.

I doubt if the magazines would be there. FWIW, they also do not carry .440 Cor-Bons, .41AE, or 9mm Steyr.

I gave him by two boxes of 9mm Steyr-Haan as they would not chamber in my 9mm Steyr pistol. Frown

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never thought the G26 was obsolete or ever will be. It is a great pistol and has the ability to share mags with larger guns. How can that be obsolete? Some people say the lever gun is obsolete but I would have no problem using one as a last ditch effort. The only guns I consider obsolete are ones they no longer make or make ammo for. An example, would be the old pin fired revolvers. They are antiquated and require too much time/effort to get parts for. To me, that is obsolete but the Glock 26 I don't ever think will be obsolete. It is a great fighting tool.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Obsolete": when you, the owner, are unable to obtain, or make, parts of sufficient quality to fight the encounters in which you are engaged.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If I see a gimp I might look at a chainsaw but I want a samurai sword.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I honestly think if pressed a cap and ball revolver would still provide me adequate defense.

Comes to that, I have flintlocks (Kentucky Rifle and Kentucky Pistol) that would serve.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
For me it has to be a modern centerfire firearm. If you go back far enough there are some MN rifles that predate the legal definition of the modern era, but they fire modern 7.62x54R ammo. For me it's the ammo, not the gun.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob1972:
"Obsolete": when you, the owner, are unable to obtain, or make, parts of sufficient quality to fight the encounters in which you are engaged.

not the definition, which is what I was causing a ruckus about in the other thread.

Obsolete doesn't always mean completely worthless, just not the most current model...here's another dictionary definition on the verb form

verb US
verb: obsolete; 3rd person present: obsoletes; past tense: obsoleted; past participle: obsoleted; gerund or present participle: obsoleting

cause (a product or idea) to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new.

"we're trying to stimulate the business by obsoleting last year's designs"-the dictionary example

i.e. "The new 5th generation Glock 26 stimulate's our business (Glocks's) by obsoleting our previous generation designs".
-example tailored to our current discussion

I never meant to leave the impression that a so-called "obsolete" weapon couldn't protect someones life.

Just that if a company is making a newer version the older one can technically be considered "obsolete"/out of production.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post