SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SW 44mag, new gun to me. Couple questions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SW 44mag, new gun to me. Couple questions? Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted
I recently purchased a Can-Am Maverick Trail and have scheduled a camping trip up in the Northern woods. This will be my first trip out with it and my first time up in the woods. There has been a lot of bear sightings so I wanted to pick up a 44 magnum as a JIC gun. Also always wanted one and this seem liked the appropriate time to buy one. The gun was a neglected just a bit and I would like to get it re-blued. Does anyone have experience with doing so? Would you send the gun out to Mag na port and have them port it? What about Precision Bluing? Their work looks awesome, and the write-up is great very descriptive.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
Would you send the gun out to Mag na port and have them port it?

NO!

I've two here that I wish weren't.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sir if this fine 29 is going to the woods just use it till it fails. I use a hot .44 special in my revolver not magnums too much pain for me...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Instead of re-blueing, maybe use CCR for a more durable woods-gun finish?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shoot it. Bears don't care about pretty blueing.
I absolutely love SW combat grips but not on a 44 mag. Get you a set of the Hogue recoil absorbing 500 grips. They done list them as fitting the rb frames but they do. Contact Ken@Hogue to verify fitment. I put them on my 629 44 mag and they were worth it but still ended up selling it as i felt with every shot that my wrists were going to suffer permanent damage. Double up on hearing protection also. Did like its range clearing abilities though. Worked every time!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah the grips made a world of difference. I have the same gun with a longer barrel. It is unpleasant to shoot 44 mag so I often shoot 44 special. It is a fun gun. I would not bother with blueing, just get the better grips. BTW do NOT port the gun. It makes little difference and makes the gun hard to clean.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
Shoot it. Bears don't care about pretty blueing.

Truer words were never said!

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of porting either. For a gun you plan to holster and shoot, I wouldn't bother with the expense of reblueing. Just shoot it and enjoy as is.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
S&W does a nice job of rebluing also. I would not magnaport it.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It's a tool for a specific purpose. Why spend money to make it pretty? Leave it as is.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty good to me, I wouldn't touch it. For a carry woods gun I would maybe do the Houge grips or maybe some VZ G10 grips and I wouldn't port it. You're going to have enough flames coming out of the front with that short barrel, who needs more coming out of the top?

Beautiful Smith and I love those combat grips!

Posts: 209 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uhhh.... that short barrel will roar enough without porting. I would pass on that. And for a gun you plan to carry and expose to the elements, I would hold off awhile before a refinish. Looks fine to me!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Uh. I'll partially disagree with the above responses to leave it as is, always. Just wait until it saves your skin. If it does that, then you can even invest in some engraving. The engravers then get the gun reblued, and a quality job to set off their work. If the gun fails and the bear eats you, you've saved the cost!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't port it unless you want to be deaf and blinded when you shoot it in the woods. Put some rubber grips on it are a must. I'd just clean up the blueing it has and leave it alone. Ford's if you want to reblue it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
That's a great revolver. The 3" N-frame is the absolute stuff. If you want to get it finished, you should. I would consider carrying it and shooting it for quite a bit before you do so. Time will give you a better feel on what you want out of the gun. Congrats on that purchase. You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No MagnaPort.
Get some rubber grips.
https://www.midwestgunworks.co.../mgwi/prod/413870000

Running your trail rig, if you encounter trouble, you can be confronted immediately.
So if you can't draw quickly, it won't matter.
Get a holster that you can draw quickly from and practice with it.
This is a chest used in Alaska.
https://gunfightersinc.com/sho...-for-sw-n-frame-629/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DirectDrive,

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
As stated, no on the porting.
There is enough fireworks without the porting.

I like my guns pretty, so I understand the want to reblue.
I'd send it to S&W and have them do it.
Maybe get a trigger job while it is there.

PERFORMANCE CENTER® PRECISION GUNSMITHING

They did great work on one of my 686+ revolvers..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
OP, that’s a nice revolver!

While not a .44, I’ve acquired a S&W 28-2 that, somewhere along the line, was fitted with a 3.5-inch barrel from a S&W 27. This has become one of my favorites very quickly! Shown posed with some Barranti Leather gear (all of which is also working-out nicely) and a shot at the ignition of a 110-grain .357 Magnum round. I’d pondered the Magna-Port notion but also wouldn’t want even more flame, etc. haha...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Jerry Miculek who shoots S&W officially always recommends porting the competition revolver. In the videos I have seen, he never extends this to a woods revolver.

Having a great rust proof finish to me would be of some value for a woods gun. Sure, blued guns have withstood the outdoor environment for centuries now. But, there are many more durable finishes today.

I would never use a spray-on finish on a classic revolver like this, however. Nor would I have it media blasted to look more matte.

If you are simply looking for rust prevention, you can with care wipe down the revolver each day with an oily cloth, and see if you can live with the finish as is.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Looking at the sideplate screws, it appears that they are not deformed by improper use of a non-fitting screwdriver. This is good.

Looking at the hammer, it appears that the hammer is a firing pin mounted case hardened item. This is good.

You may have a collectible revolver. Check on that. There is a forum for this brand on which many people can advise.

If you have a collectible, and don't want a collectible, you could always sell it or trade it for a modern stainless S&W. If you found one pre-lock, say a 629, you would then have a nice JIC item.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone for their responses I really appreciate it.

So no porting, but I do love the flamethrower photos though.

Rubber grips, I am looking at them now and Hogue has a lot of different models to choose from.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post