SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So what are you running for defensive ammo these days?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what are you running for defensive ammo these days? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm now a one platform owner....9mm. For EDC and home protection...I've chosen Hornaday 115gr. Critical Defense.....it has worked flawlessly in all my guns. For range purposes....I've narrowed my use to Remington 115gr FMJ

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sig protects my life, home, and family....."God guards my soul"

Posts: 1477 | Location: owensboro, ky | Registered: December 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
124gr +P HST. Fiancee uses same, but standard velocity in her little LC9.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
In .45, 230gr HST or Gold Dots. In 9mm, 124gr HST or Gold Dots. In 12ga, Federal 00 Buck. In 5.56, M-193 ball.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For those running 147 grain stuff are you running standard velocity or +P? Didn’t the Gold Dot G2 stuff have lots of early teething problems?

This is an interesting thread to me. I am surprised that folks are still running 9BPLE stuff.

Thanks all,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
HSTs in 9/40/45, tend towards the heaviest available. XTP bulleted loads in 380. Still have some Buffalo Bore and Doubletap if I ever convert my G21 back to 10mm again. Hornady CD +P in my 38SPL LCR. Finally bought some of the Lehigh Xtreme Defense in 9mm; if my MPX likes 'em I could load up a mag of that for 'defensive purposes'.

Then there's the rest: Aguila mini slugs in my Shockwave. PDX1 and #4 buck in my 500. Mags of what little TAP 75gr I have left and 55gr Hornady CD for my designated 5.56 defensive gun. Fiocchi SST in my 300BLK pistol. Underwood penetrators in my GP100 for backwoods carry. Barnes Triple Shock if I ever had to pull out a rotary bolt gun for such duty.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
124gr +P HST....

Same. Standard in shorter bbl like my 938. +P in all others.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm and 45 is 124gr HST, 135gr Critical Duty, 230gr HST or 220gr Critical Duty. 10mm is Underwood 200gr Gold Dots or 135gr jacketed hollowpoint.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
147 grain G2s. The ballistic performance data that I have access to from actual shootings is pretty awesome.

The RIP, or Civic Duty?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FOR 9mm: 115gr +p+ Federal 9BPLE. Cheap, accurate, and has excellent real-world results. Gel tests suck, but the results don't lie.
FOR .40: 180gr FEDERAL HST or 180GR RANGER-T
FOR .357SIG: 125gr Winchester RANGER-T
FOR .45 ACP: 230GR +P HST

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
147 grain G2s. The ballistic performance data that I have access to from actual shootings is pretty awesome.

The RIP, or Civic Duty?

http://le.vistaoutdoor.com/amm...handgun/default.aspx

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
For those running 147 grain stuff are you running standard velocity or +P? Didn’t the Gold Dot G2 stuff have lots of early teething problems?

This is an interesting thread to me. I am surprised that folks are still running 9BPLE stuff.

Thanks all,
Chris

If it had early teething problems, I can not wait to see what the final product will be. I am aware of 7 shootings with the G2, and the weight retention and performance bests even the old stand by rounds like the 124+p and 9bple.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, Gold Dot, as opposed to G2 branded ammunition. Got it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Thanks all,
Chris

If it had early teething problems, I can not wait to see what the final product will be. I am aware of 7 shootings with the G2, and the weight retention and performance bests even the old stand by rounds like the 124+p and 9bple.

My best understanding is the first batches out failed to expand even on bare basic ballistic gel, and the shorter the barrel, the worse it got. So Speer recalled it and repackaged it as training only. Then they did the necessary tweaks to ensure reliable expansion and I haven't heard a peep since. Likely means they fixed it.

I get the idea behind the G2 and CD rounds, but just like the HST, the Critical Defense failed in my backyard BS. So I stay away from the plastic/polymer/elastomer inserts.

It's .40 stuff, and nowhere near scientific, but this is just my experience:
https://youtu.be/3UnOSut1B6I

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
For what I have seen, I will never carry nor recommend Critical Duty.

With the amount of money the Feeb spent subsidizing the development of the G2, and how well it is actually performing on the street, the fact that they went to the Critical Duty doesn't make a bit of sense.

But, in another thread, it was mentioned how that one really bad event could swing the LE market back to .40, 357, or .45, and by choosing that ammo, they could pull a repeat of Miami. Blame the event on the ammo, and history repeats itself.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:

With the amount of money the Feeb spent subsidizing the development of the G2, and how well it is actually performing on the street, the fact that they went to the Critical Duty doesn't make a bit of sense.

They did not go to the Critical Duty. It was an additional order above the initial order that Gold Dot could not supply. They are still receiving the complete order of Gold Dot ammunition as requested.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HST and Gold Dot in 124+P depending on availability.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBP55:
quote:

They did not go to the Critical Duty. It was an additional order above the initial order that Gold Dot could not supply. They are still receiving the complete order of Gold Dot ammunition as requested.

Thanks that makes better sense.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Have any of these shootings been from short barrels? The ballistic data I have access to for short barrels does not favor 147 grain anything, except for Ranger and HST. I’m curious if anyone has tested or seen real world results of G2 from G26 and smaller sized weapons.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JBP55:
quote:

Thanks that makes better sense.

Posts: 630 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal 147+P HP (HST)

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Underwood 180gr JHP, topped with Speer Gold Dot bullets. 1300fps from the SIG P220 10mm.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post