SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Put a Single Action Revolver on Layaway (picked it up and went shooting)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Put a Single Action Revolver on Layaway (picked it up and went shooting) Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
...but the slick grips make it a trick for a newbie like me to shoot 357's and keep a steady grip. I had to readjust my grip every shot.

Actually, that is the part of the point to that grip design, that “plow handle” grip is meant to allow the revolver to roll in the shooter’s hand to help deal with recoil, as I understand it. It also brings the hammer closer to the thumb to allow cocking for another shot, though I don’t know if Colt had that in mind when he designed the Model P.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shoots like an absolute kitten with 38's, but the slick grips make it a trick for a newbie like me to shoot 357's and keep a steady grip. I had to readjust my grip every shot. I was thinking about refinishing the grips anyway, but wanted to shoot it first. I'm actually pretty dang accurate with it, which was a pleasant surprise for me, too.

How are you gripping it? All four fingers around the grip, or kinda split with a pinkie finger curled underneath the grip? If the former, try the latter.

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Love that octagon barrel.

Yeah, that’s pretty eye-catching. Quite like the way it looks, myself.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I do need to play with my shooting grip a bit - I'll try the pinky-under next time. I stripped the wood of the lacquer, and it already feels like it'll be more... grippy. A little more work on it, and I'll go try it again at the range.

I love it so far!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Good for you, while I am a revolver lover I have never had a SA. I have been flirting with a Colt Walker with a cartridge conversion....not sure why maybe I want to be Gus Wink

Something about a SA in 45 Colt speaks to me, I have eyed Rugers 45LC/45ACP convertible just not enough to pull the trigger.....yet

Nice looking shooting iron

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do need to play with my shooting grip a bit - I'll try the pinky-under next time. I stripped the wood of the lacquer, and it already feels like it'll be more... grippy. A little more work on it, and I'll go try it again at the range.

I love it so far!

Yeah man, they're too damn fun to shoot not to own one if you're at all into firearms and any sort of red-blooded American. Play around with your grip some and you'll find a comfortable way to shoot it, I have no doubt. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have long wanted a SAA or a good clone.

Who makes the nicest clones? (Internally and externally.)

Is Colt a viable choice, or are they too expensive?

The general answers I kept running into in my research led with qualifying questions, namely: What do you want to do with it? If you want a plinker or fun range gun, you could do pretty well with just about anything. It's a bit of a sliding scale for utility from there. If you want to shoot the ever-loving out of it, get a Ruger New Vaquero since externally and dimensionally, it's very close to an original but has a transfer bar and is a bit beefier overall. If you want a collector piece you may only shoot a few times or never, get a Colt. I've seen numerous CASS guys say they've witnessed shooters wear out Colts in matches. If you want something affordable with lockwork like the originals that you won't feel bad about putting some wear on, the Italian copies are what you're looking for.

Myself, I went with a stainless Ruger because I know I'm hard on the things I own, even when I think I'm babying them. It's a production gun and I think mine was one of the ones to roll off the line late on a Friday, there's plenty of little aesthetic nit-picks I have with it, but it works great.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:

Actually, that is the part of the point to that grip design, that “plow handle” grip is meant to allow the revolver to roll in the shooter’s hand to help deal with recoil, as I understand it. It also brings the hammer closer to the thumb to allow cocking for another shot, though I don’t know if Colt had that in mind when he designed the Model P.

The revolver shouldn't really roll in the hand, but it can; Colt sold their single action army with hard rubber grips.

I have .41 and .44 magnum single action pistols that tear at my hands when shot with checkered grips. A lot of shooters find smooth grips more comfortable. Then again, a lot don't. Pachmyer sold a lot of checkered grips for single action.

Gunfighter grips are designed to help prevent the grip from rotating in the hand, by the shape of the grip; the hand doesn't ride up as easily under recoil, and they're available smooth.

Hammer accessibility is addressed by some with changes in the hammer, using a lower hammer.

I use The Super Blackhawk hammer on all my Rugers; it's got a wider, lower spur, makes an easy reach for my mildly arthritic thumbs.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Im so used to the mindset of a high grip being better, but thats not as true with these revolvers, so its definitely a different thing to learn. I dont want to go for a checkered grip, but just this more bare wood makes it seem less likely to roll in the hand and i can see how the pinkey-under grip will help too.

So far, this Taylors seems like a fantastic gun. Thereve been some things that point to it being slightly cheaper, but im happy with it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it’s weird at first, but the lower you grip them, the easier they are to hang onto. Seems really counter-intuitive if you’re used to gripping a pistol as high as you can get. I’m no instructor or anything, but that kind of grip and extra attention on trigger follow-through to compensate for the lock time is what works for me.

Rolan probably has some pointers.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
OK, so in SASS, you can shoot your revolvers either one handed (Duelist), two handed, or one in each hand (Gunfighter).

I shoot two handed. Right hand is positioned on the grip, If you stretch out your index finger, it is straight in line with the trigger. The real trick is the left hand. Put your first two fingers on the front of the trigger guard. This positions your thumb high to cock the hammer.

Now me, I shoot my left gun with my left hand, and my right gun with my right hand.

Rolan Revolver by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had a SAA clone for a while in .45 and have no idea as to how those cowboys hit anything. Now the lever action rifle is a different animal. Give me a DA revolver or auto any day over a SAA.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Smudge, and for the info Rolan ! I can already see how your method of holding it will definitely help.
I keep practicing at home, but definitely need to get more live-fire trigger time at the range, too.

I also was able to strip the grips and oil them up to lighten the look a lot more.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That looks better already!

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I sure wish we lived closer so we could go shooting.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
same, Brother!

Here's a new picture from today. I'm hoping for some range time on Friday.