SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Put a Single Action Revolver on Layaway (picked it up and went shooting)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Put a Single Action Revolver on Layaway (picked it up and went shooting) Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
When I began shooting about 11 years ago, I never gave revolvers a second thought. They were old, outdated, or hard to use with low capacity in "weird," old calibers. (what can I say, I was an ignorant youngin)

Anyway, after a few cowboy and western themed things piqued my interest of late, I decided to look into the single action world, and settled on one that I thought looked cool - the Taylors & Co. Cattleman "The Drifter."

It's an 1873 clone with a 5.5" Octagonal barrel, and the local gun store happened to have one for a decent price. I went with the .357 because I already have my lever gun in .357 as well.

I've always wanted to try to get into the "competition" scene, and the cowboy action shooting guys (on the forum and those I've met in person) seem to be the nicest kind of people around, and the CAS competitions seem to be less pressure more fun type shooting, which may be exactly what I need to get into something to compete. So after I get this gun out of layaway jail and shoot with it some, I might saunter on down to one of the local CAS matches some Saturday morning and see what's what in the scene.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PorterN,

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Neat gun. I might do the same one day. Check out a CAS that is...

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You are so screwed. Revolvers are like gun candy. And they breed like rabbits.

Nice looking gun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Seriously. Wait until you get into heavier revolvers - you'll go back and forth over the difference between a .44 and a .45 like it actually matters. .357 SA's are pretty much a gateway drug by definition.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats and enjoy! They’re a ton of fun to shoot. I’ll second the prior assertion that one is not enough and it will beg to multiply in different configurations and calibers. I haven’t purchased my second yet, I’m still trying to decide exactly what I want to do, but it’s a question of “when” at this point and not “if.” Wink

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have a Taylors "Smoke Wagon". Amazing gun. Action is unbelievable. When you pull the hammer back, you cannot help but smile.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool!! I haven't done cowboy shooting but do shoot uspsa and I strongly encourage you to try the cowboy shoot. I have met the greatest people since I started shooting and especially since I started uspsa. Just got home from natioanls and it was amazing. Cowboy matches look awesome, they have them at my range. I just don't have all the gear but they look like a ton of fun!

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
By all means go check out a local match.
https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/..._list.php?state=Utah

All my main match guns are in .357. Best way to go. If you have basic woodworking skills, I have lots of detailed plans to build your own gun cart.

I also have a fantastic source for leather who can get you a rig setup for a fantastic price. You don't want to spend too much for your first rig because you will most likely change your mind.

I have a buddy who is selling a lightly used 1873 with action work for a very good price.

Reach out to me with any questions.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love single action revolvers. I don't do much with authentic pistols or copies, but have a bunch of Vaqueros and Blackhawks.

I haven't done the cowboy action thing. I did attend one cops-vs-cowboys meet and shot a round, but with a 1911, Remington 870, and a .40 M4. It wasn't quite the same. Some of the other participants generously allowed me to run through a stage or two with their .38-40 and .44-40, and other more authentic type stuff.

It does look like fun, though I couldn't bring myself to play dress-up or wear a costume...that's going a bit too far.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
By all means go check out a local match.
https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/..._list.php?state=Utah

All my main match guns are in .357. Best way to go. If you have basic woodworking skills, I have lots of detailed plans to build your own gun cart.

I also have a fantastic source for leather who can get you a rig setup for a fantastic price. You don't want to spend too much for your first rig because you will most likely change your mind.

I have a buddy who is selling a lightly used 1873 with action work for a very good price.

Reach out to me with any questions.

A good google search of your CAS moniker has brought up many a forum post of your advice and people thanking you for all the help! Once I get some practice under my belt with the revolver, and visit one of the local shoots a couple of times, I'll probably have some more questions for you, Rolan, thank you!!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I'll probably have some more questions for you, Rolan, thank you!!

WFSST = Watch Front Site Squeeze Trigger!
IJAFG = It's Just A FUN Game!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Right on! I'll shoot you an email about holsters and such, too.

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Can't be a well rounded experienced handgun shooter if you ignore revolvers.

Autos are nice, I like them.
However, they can't match the power and accuracy of a revolver.

Comparable size/weight and production quality being equal.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep looking at getting a Cimmaron 4 3/4" Frontier with a matching 1873 Carbine. Kinda umm, but I like the look of the ejector housing and magazine both being as long as the barrels. Both would be .44-40/WCF. If I was to do modern loading, it would be .357.

Let us know when you get it out of jail!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
I keep looking at getting a Cimmaron 4 3/4" Frontier with a matching 1873 Carbine. Kinda umm, but I like the look of the ejector housing and magazine both being as long as the barrels. Both would be .44-40/WCF. If I was to do modern loading, it would be .357.

Let us know when you get it out of jail!

BuddyChryst,
Unless you reload, .44-40 is very expensive to buy. The case necks are also very thin so you don't get as many reloads out of them before they split. New brass is about 25¢ each (IIRC).

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

sick puppy
posted Hide Post

I picked her up the other day and took her out shooting. Shoots like an absolute kitten with 38's, but the slick grips make it a trick for a newbie like me to shoot 357's and keep a steady grip. I had to readjust my grip every shot. I was thinking about refinishing the grips anyway, but wanted to shoot it first. I'm actually pretty dang accurate with it, which was a pleasant surprise for me, too.

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
nice!! What's your handle gonna be for cowboy shoots?

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
nice!! What's your handle gonna be for cowboy shoots?

Well, since Porter has a nice picture of walnut and steel guns on a bed of leaves, I nominate "Leif Ironwood".

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have long wanted a SAA or a good clone.

Who makes the nicest clones? (Internally and externally.)

Is Colt a viable choice, or are they too expensive?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love that octagon barrel.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post