SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    top round unseated
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

top round unseated Login/Join 
posted
recently saw the top round of my Kahr PM9 mag in my pocket holster was pushed forward-enough to prevent proper seating. Mag holster was in front left pocket. Also, I routinely eject the mag in the gun and wack it against my hand to reseat the top round-only slight movement forward after carrying for a few hours. I do this every morning. Has anyone else gone through this routine. Maybe the mag springs are weak or feed lips too spread. Any ideas? Gun has never malfunctioned.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a Kahr, so if this is something they do, I wouldn't know. But it doesn't sound right. I would think some new mag springs couldn't hurt you to try. This isn't a problem I've ever had with any of my carry pistols.

Regularly ejecting the magazine out of a carry gun to repack the rounds is less than ideal.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have owned two Kahrs, a PM9 and an E9, and the magazines are indeed quirky. Neither of their magazines held the top round tightly. The one out of the gun (reload) needs a tight-fitting pouch or the round will work itself out rather easily. Also, if you eject a loaded mag from the gun, the round will inch forward in the same fashion. If you look through the counter holes, you'll also find that the bullets point every which way inside, some up a little, some nose-down. This probably has something to do with Kahr's offset to one side and deep feed ramp. It makes fast reloading a nuisance, but doesn't affect cycling one bit.

quote:
Also, I routinely eject the mag in the gun and wack it against my hand to reseat the top round-only slight movement forward after carrying for a few hours.

This, there is no reason for. At most, the bullet nose will butt up against the feed ramp. The gun will cycle, as you said yourself in the last sentence of your post.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't malfunction, don't worry about it.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week, I took a course at Gunsite in Ariz.
They taught us how to put a mag into a mag pouch and how to pull it out. They taught us to pull the mag out with your forefinger along the front side of the mag, so you could feel the top round to see if it is sticking out and then your could push it back with that forefinger. I found it hard to push the round back in my .45 magazine with just my forefinger, but at any rate you would know it was amiss.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kahr mags are known for the top round to slide forward.

Once inserted into the pistol, no problem.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Of my nine KAHR pistols, polymer and all stainless...all of them had this quirk. But they all functioned provided the round didn't fall out of the magazine upon draw from the magazine pouch. The previous poster gave good advice about finding a quality magazine pouch that doesn't cause the issue.

Carrying the magazine pouch in the pocket doesn't help if the pouch isn't rigid especially when you sit down and pressure is applied against the magazine.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
IIRC there was an aftermarket company that made magazine followers for Kahr mags to prevent this.

Found it!

https://lakelinellc.com/shop/m...llower-for-9mm-kahr/

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Gee dcowboy, could you possibly be any more helpful? Big Grin

From your link:
If you carry a extra magazine in your pocket the top round does not pop out like it does with the factory follower.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
IIRC there was an aftermarket company that made magazine followers for Kahr mags to prevent this.

Found it!

https://lakelinellc.com/shop/m...llower-for-9mm-kahr/

I have heard of this. Cheap enough to try out. Thanks. The mag in the pocket holster seems to only advance top round if I sit down. So likely there is excessive pressure- it is an Alabama pocket holster.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Very common in single stack weapons. My Walther PPS 9MM does it. SIG P220 did it before SIG added dimples to the top rear of the magazine to hold the top round back.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of single stack 9mm guns.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post