SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    4 reasons why a P220 is better than a 1911
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4 reasons why a P220 is better than a 1911 Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
Both look great in my safe.

^^^^ This! ^^^^

Can't really complain about the 9mm X-Six or the SVI 2011.

But most of the time I shoot my Glock 21 in .38 Super. Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P220 is an excellent .45 handgun with one of the best out of the box triggers out there (and can be improved). I quite like the 220.

The 1911 is a great design, but there are many 1911's, some far better than others. A good 1911 is an excellent tool, as well.

One better than the other? Depends on the user and the use, and the specific pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Blasphemers all of you.

Only 4? There are hundreds of reasons.

Of course the P-220 is better than the 1911. As I once said; one day everyone will own a P-220, or wish they did!

My first 1911 was a 70's Satin Combat Commander, that I purchased when I was 15. then I grew up and into the P-220.

J/K, as many of you know, I am a long time P-220 fan, but it was a journey for me to get here. I have moved to the .38 Super in a P-220, and now find myself moving to a 1911 .38 Super.

As I have aged, I always get a chuckle out of articles like this. Yes, they fuel the fire of caliber and platform.

Viva the 1911 and the P-220.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the P220 compared to a 1911. I am one those people that don't want a cocked and locked pistol as I am just not comfortable with it. But, with that said, I do like the Dan Wesson 1911 pistols. It was the only 1911 I owned that I am sorry I parted with.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saying one is “better than the other” is kind of like comparing blowjobs from brunettes and blondes.

First gun I ever bought (still have it and the box it came in) in 1978 was a Browning BDA in 45ACP. Great gun. Bought another SIG P220 in 2003. Another great gun. Both are exceptionally accurate and reliable.

Have a couple of Colt 1911s. One was custom tuned Combat Commander by Austin Behlert. The other is a Colt TALO Concealed Carry Government. Both are exceptionally accurate and reliable.

Having both I really can’t say that one is better than the other or that one should own one over the other. Some guys like brunettes, come guys like blondes … and some guys like both brunettes and blondes.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
This guy didn't make one single good point though. If someone paid him for that nonsense, they should get their money back.

That was the idea I got from his rant, he just needed to churn out something to keep the money coming in.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prince Herman
posted Hide Post
Query, if the man who designed the P220 went back to the 1911 what would that suggest, if anything?

Posts: 512 | Location: S.E. Pa. | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if Sig began offering the 1911 after the P220? What if Sig still sold the 1911?

Wait, they do.

I own some. They make a pretty good 1911, actually.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Kind of like trying to argue that blondes are better than brunettes... Eek
Or redheads...

I like 'em all!

Also, I have a 1911 and 2 P220s.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Fake News

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Bought myself a P220 in 87 because it fit my hand so well. That and the decocker with firing pin safety block. Disassembly for cleaning was a bonus, it's super easy.

I made it our house gun. Wife doesn't need to think, just point and click, no safety to disengage, just like a revolver except it's a 45acp.

That said, I found and now prefer the 1911.

When I go to the range I take a 1911. The feel of old slabsides is different than the 220 and while the 220 molds into my hand so well, I prefer the 1911 which is no slouch in the fit to hand department.

So, both are good and that's why Baskin-Robins has 31 flavors.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
As a good, basic .45 ACP with a single-stack magazine capacity, I think the P220 (with a rail) has some advantages over a similarly priced 1911. I especially like the P220 SAO versions (I own a Carry and a Compact model). Either can be chamber checked safely with the safety engaged vs the 1911 which cannot. If you are getting a 1911 from one of the better semi-custom makers (Nighthawk Custom, Wilson Combat, etc...), I think the older, Browning renditions are better examples of fine gunsmithing, kinda like owning a Rolex vs a modern, battery operated watch. The craftsmanship has a certain appeal over the technology and it goes beyond the fact that both items get the same job done in a satisfactory manner. Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're trying to choose between a P220 or a 1911 (or any great firearms) you're wrong regardless of your decision. There is only one correct action.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R K9 J:
Saying one is “better than the other” is kind of like comparing blowjobs from brunettes and blondes.

I was going to say apples and oranges but brunettes and blondes is way more descriptive. Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It's like pizza and blow jobs. No such thing as a bad one, but there's always one you prefer.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
quote:
You literally couldn't give me a Sig 220
is no less ignorant that the article mentioned.

Since when is having an opinion you don't approve of, ignorant?

You work for CNN?

Posts: 5132 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the 1911 and have probably owned over a dozen over the years, and still own several. However, if my ass was on the line, and I had to choose between the 220 and a 1911 that I hadn't put at least 2 or 3 hundred trouble-free rounds through, I'd pick the 220 ten times out of ten.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a 1911 just because it was the anniversary edition. If I had to buy a .45 again, I'd probably pass on both the P220 and 1911 and go P227 or FN. I don't like single stacks.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
When the title of the article has grammatical problems you can be fairly certain that what follows is not the pinnacle of thought.

That said, my 1911s have all proven very reliable. My P220, not so much. It's a sample of one, but it's a "good one": original German stamped slide version. I like it a lot, but the pinnacle of reliability it is not.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post