SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    sig sights and sight picture
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sig sights and sight picture Login/Join 
posted
I was reading the Sig web site last night and found that Sig sets its sights up to "cover the bull".
I have always shot a pistol by having the top of front sight even with the top of back sight and the bull sitting on top of the front sight.
or "pumpkin on the post"
Which do you use, 'cover the bull' or 'pumpkin on the post"
LOL I feel silly saying that but it is accurate.
Carl

Posts: 41 | Location: Bofire1@comcast.net | Registered: May 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is from sig, FAQ's

My SIG SAUER pistol is not accurate. Why? What should I do?

All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a “combat” sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bullseye of the target. Using a six o’clock (“pumpkin on a post”) or center mass (“half’n’half”) sight picture will result in low impact. SIG SAUER, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2.5 inch groupings @ 15 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis.

Posts: 41 | Location: Bofire1@comcast.net | Registered: May 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
HK and many other manufacturers use the same "combat" sight picture since they're primarily defensive pistols shot at defensive ranges. It's common knowledge of anyone who has owned SIG pistols for awhile.

Some accept it, others change the front sight to provide them with a "6 o'clock" picture. Those are more "bulls eye" shooters.

The sights are not set in stone and most learn to shoot their SIG pistols in that manner and do fine. Set up your pistol to whatever combination of sights that you shoot well with using the sight picture you prefer.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bofire:
this is from sig, FAQ's

All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a “combat” sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bullseye of the target. Using a six o’clock (“pumpkin on a post”) or center mass (“half’n’half”) sight picture will result in low impact. SIG SAUER, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2.5 inch groupings @ 15 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis.

"Combat Sight Picture" was a whizbang answer that customer service came up with to "combat" the rising tide of complaints they received when SIG stopped actually shooting the guns for zero when they leave the factory. Few, if any will zero worth a damn at any kind of distance because they throw the flavor of the day sights on them before they leave the door.

The SIG Sauer Academy does not teach "combat sight picture" despite what customer service may tell you their guns are designed for.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
You can achieve any sight picture you want by changing the front or rear sight as needed. Almost all of my SIGs have a #9 rear sight so I can aim sub-center.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
this is from sig, FAQ's

"Combat Sight Picture" was a whizbang answer that customer service came up with to "combat" the rising tide of complaints they received when SIG stopped actually shooting the guns for zero when they leave the factory. Few, if any will zero worth a damn at any kind of distance because they throw the flavor of the day sights on them before they leave the door.

The SIG Sauer Academy does not teach "combat sight picture" despite what customer service may tell you their guns are designed for.

What do they teach for sight picture?

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
IMO, this is the only sight picture that makes sense, and all pistols should be zeroed as such. I just don't see any other logical option.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Amen. I can't stand that new pistols are sent out with sights meant to obscured the target. The above sight picture is the only one I use. If I recall, the 6-8 combination is the one that provides the above sight picture, correct?

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:

...The SIG Sauer Academy does not teach "combat sight picture" despite what customer service may tell you their guns are designed for.

This is what I love about SIGforum. Very few fanboys here. I love my SIG's, but I'm old enough to be told the truth. Thanks to all of you who willing to set the record straight.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
An Exeter built P226 I had shot to the "cover the target" hold, and another one (W. German) shot properly as pictured above except with 3 dot sights. My P228 also shoots aligned as above with Mepro NS.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a Sig sight #6 taller or shorter than a #8?
Carl

posted Hide Post
SIG rule, numbers up groups up. So as a physical matter taller.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So now we have three of these threads going...

Two in the "Armorers" forum and this one.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:
quote:
quote:
this is from sig, FAQ's

Tip of the front sight is where the bullet goes was the last thing I saw in their manuals. I had a picture of the page on my old photo bucket, but no longer have access.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:

I've exchanged a few emails with Adam Painchaud of Sig Sauer Academy. They teach "Put the dot where you want the bullet to go". In other words, use the front dot just like the electronic red dot on a rifle.

They indeed do not seem to use the term "combat sighting" very much, if at all, but the official use of this term is not technically inconsistent with their definition of it, i.e. using the dot as the aiming reference.

quote:

Hi Kevin,

We typically teach to use the dot as the aiming reference much like using a red dot on a rifle. Put the dot where you want the bullet to go....

-Adam

Adam A. Painchaud
Senior Director
adam.painchaud@sigsauer.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
IMO, this is the only sight picture that makes sense, and all pistols should be zeroed as such.

What if you need to shoot smaller/farther away targets?

(the usual answer is "I don't")

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
IMO, this is the only sight picture that makes sense, and all pistols should be zeroed as such.

The need to shoot smaller/farther away targets is exactly why you want to use this sight picture.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

I find that picture easier to shoot farther/smaller. Combat sight pic covers the entire target when I do matches with 3-4" steel, especially this one I do where they set the little buggers 20 yards out.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO, this is the only sight picture that makes sense, and all pistols should be zeroed as such. I just don't see any other logical option.

Yup, that's the sight picture I prefer, straight-8s, 3-dot or single-dot. All of my Glocks are set up this way, few of my stainless slide SIGs and HKs are, at least straight out of the box.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is a Sig sight #6 taller or shorter than a #8?
Carl

As stated, number up impact up.
But if you must know. A rear 8 is taller then a rear 6, but a front 8 is shorter than a front 6.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post