SIGforum
S&W Model 41 .22

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9560047044

April 21, 2018, 02:28 PM
arcwelder
S&W Model 41 .22
I just looked on S&W's website, it doesn't say discontinued, but seems like nobody has them.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

April 21, 2018, 04:29 PM
toivo
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Edit: Ah. You mean that the pistol is too heavy – rather than its trigger.

Yup, that's what I meant. It's subjective, but I get tired after a while.
April 21, 2018, 06:55 PM
ACP1
I bought a new one last year and you just need to have your favorite dealer order one for you. By the way there is not much of the 41 on this forum (mostly center fire) but rimfirecentral forum has a 41 section that you may want to review. (hope this isn't against the rules.)
April 21, 2018, 07:12 PM
Davenator
In case anyone's in the market, here's one.
April 21, 2018, 09:04 PM
David Lee
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I just looked on S&W's website, it doesn't say discontinued, but seems like nobody has them.
Last I knew Arc, they were still being made or assembled up in Holton, Maine. I've seen and shot a friends Holton 41 and it's the same exact quality.
April 21, 2018, 10:27 PM
zoom6zoom
I love mine. If you find one, grab it. As noted, they're hard as hell to find, and the prices are only going up.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
April 21, 2018, 11:00 PM
Rob Decker
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Last I knew Arc, they were still being made or assembled up in Holton, Maine. I've seen and shot a friends Holton 41 and it's the same exact quality.

If they're not officially in the Classic line, they probably soon will be. I'd be very surprised if they were made in anything other than irregular batches.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.
April 21, 2018, 11:04 PM
soggy_spinout
The M41 is still in production but it's extremely limited. We ordered three or four about three years ago direct from S&W and was told that it would take "some time" to ship to us. After waiting pretty much forever for nothing, we opted to cancel that order last year and reallocated those funds towards Daniel Defense product.
April 22, 2018, 12:08 PM
critter44
I have one and LOVE the thing! SUPER accurate! But, had trouble with failure to fire and some misfeeds. Switched to CCI standard velocity ammo and it always runs perfectly with it. WAY accurate with it too.

Hint: Makes a wonderful tool for trimming very high tree limbs from shooting lanes around my deer stand.
April 22, 2018, 12:46 PM
djpaintles
Sweet find! There's a lot of good 22lr pistols around but in my mind 41's are the sweetest. Smooth, accurate a quality made.......dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
April 22, 2018, 12:55 PM
ether
Very nice pistol...I always wanted one of those.
April 22, 2018, 07:59 PM
Wasabi
A 41 is on my next to get list near the top. Cool

April 22, 2018, 08:00 PM
jjkroll32
quote:
Originally posted by critter44:
... Switched to CCI standard velocity ammo and it always runs perfectly with it. WAY accurate with it too.

Yep, Mine also enjoys its diet of CCI standards. You have to move a good bit up in price to get any more accuracy out of them, at least ammunition wise, in my experience. Though I am certainly no bullseye shooter.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight
April 22, 2018, 09:51 PM
Rodfac
Great gun...I bought mine in '78 for a pittance. Got lucky and found a "field" barrel for it to compliment the heavy 5" target bbl. Either is FAR more accurate than I can hold. Slim and sporting that Smith trademark red front sight insert, it's a joy to carry afield.

I've never scoped mine, have never really wanted a glass sight on any of my handguns, but a friend used to amuse the firing line at the old Lyman Blue Trail Range in Connecticut by breaking eggs at 100 yds with his sporting a Leupold 4x scope. I'd not have believed it if I hadn't seen it...Off bags of course and with pedestrian Remington yellow plastic boxed .22 LR Target rounds to boot.

I still have mine & shoot it once a year or so but she doesn't get the airing out a fine pistol deserves.

Hope you have equal luck with yours and keep an eye out for that 'field' barrel. It'll make that old gun into an easily carried trail companion. Beware of the magazine release button bumping against your holster, though...we lost a mag one time on horseback for that reason...and Smith has always priced them like they were made out of gold.

Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.
April 23, 2018, 06:14 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:

If they're not officially in the Classic line, they probably soon will be. I'd be very surprised if they were made in anything other than irregular batches.

new ones are Performance Center marked,

bought one off a regular customer a few weeks ago, the newer laminate grips are similar to the vintage grips, but just a bit thicker,

mine is a mid 60's, with a 5" irons, and 7.5" with brake and ancient aimpoint on it,

shoots way better than I ever can,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

April 23, 2018, 06:16 PM
lyman
quote:
As far as getting a .22 with an even longer barrel, I do have something of a rare MkII:

I have bought and sold 2 of those long barrel MkII's in the past year,

first 2 I've seen in many many years,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

May 02, 2018, 12:37 PM
arcwelder

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arcwelder,

Arc.

May 02, 2018, 06:56 PM
MPrimo
Beautiful ... and one of my favorites! I have two barrels with mine ... 7.5" for open sights and 5.5" with a CMore sight for steel shooting. I sprung for Nils grips ... well worth it if you can find them. I also upgraded the extractor and went with a reduced power recoil spring. Shooting FGMM standard velocity very reliably. Great pistol!

That Clark upper is on my WANT list!!!! Nice score!

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!
May 02, 2018, 07:08 PM
arcwelder
The Ultradot was very inexpensive, and it is very very light, which I like a lot.

The Clark barrel was the easiest long barrel that I could get my hands on, and they seem to be out of stock in a number of variants, aside from that one. At some point I might go hunting for a longer barrel, but this will be fine.

It's nice to have an open sight barrel and scoped barrel for the same gun.

I may indeed get Nills for it, I'd just order them from Mactec.

Arc.

May 02, 2018, 07:39 PM
P220 Smudge
Very nice, Arc. I really want a threaded Clark barrel for mine, but it's way down on the list of "things that need to happen first." Going to have to make do with the 5.5" bull and 7 3/4" compensated barrels for now. I could think of cheaper .22 suppressor hosts, but I already have this one and that's the piece that's lacking.

It's a pistol that will absolutely tell you what you're not doing to live up to its full potential. Enjoy it! Smile