SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why 10mm?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why 10mm? Login/Join 
posted
I am on the range a lot -- always 2, sometimes 3 matches a month, 1 or 2 practice sessions a week, and occasionally volunteer as an RO. Besides shooting, there is a lot of gun talk. I would guess that 99% of hard-core shooters could care less about the 10mm, and the less savvy have never heard of it. But the cartridge has a fanatical minority following that I haven't seen elsewhere. I have never met anyone who just says "yeah I like it", it is always some over the top enthusiastic rant. Every GSSF match I have worked has at least one guy who shoots the stage and then says "uh uh, yeah, that's 10mm, you gotta try it, you'll love it". I don't get it -- is just the adrenaline that goes with monster noise & recoil? I am sure these guys are not tuning up a backup sidearm for a dangerous game hunt.

Posts: 2273 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think it's a round that appeals to shooters in theory more than it offers any practical advantage over existing rounds.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought another 10mm a few months ago; a G40. For those who prefer magnum cartridges, the 10mm makes sense. Anyone who has carried a .357 should feel fairly comfortable with it.

To me, 10mm in warmer loads is akin to .41 magnum on the lower end, just with more rounds available than a .41 revolver, and they stay cleaner in the pocket inside a magazine. I don't normally carry 10mm, but have on occasion; for me it's more of a camping cartridge than a daily carry.

I suppose it's a bit like asking why carry .357 Sig; I carry that and it makes sense to me. Fortunately I don't need to justify the choice to anyone but my wife, and she doesn't care.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock 40 MOS and love it. It is flat shooting and accurate. With proper loads, a quality 10mm pistol is a great handgun to use for hunting, camping and hiking protection.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I always thought the G29 would be the best backbacking gun. 10+1 rounds of 10mm with ballistics that are close to 357 Mag.

That come in a light Glock frame gun. *shrug*

Other than that I can't think of a use I'd have for it. But I agree. People that love the round... LOVE the round.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MinkFeet:
Every GSSF match I have worked has at least one guy who shoots the stage and then says "uh uh, yeah, that's 10mm, you gotta try it, you'll love it". I don't get it -- is just the adrenaline that goes with monster noise & recoil?

Why any cartridge? Because people will buy it, use it, love it, hate it, hand load it and talk about it

There is nothing wrong with you not getting the 10MM Auto. I do not like the 44 Special or 44 Magnum. I also do not like the 40 S&W. However I like many other cartridges both more and less powerful.

This is why we have Fords and Chevys

The 10MM Auto cartridge was not designed to be a superior paper puncher. It makes a hole no better than any 9MM Parabellum, 38 Special, 45 ACP or whatever your favorite shooting cartridge happens to be. I personally like target shooting with the 10MM Auto, I even like the 41 and 500 Magnums. However I can see how you and your hardcore target shooters might not have an interest in the 10MM Auto

Also, the 10MM Auto cartridge does not have "monster noise & recoil" in my mind. It is extremely manageable in most all firearms I have ever shot it in. There are many more powerful cartridges in the handgun market

Truth be told I NEVER used a 10MM Auto chambered Glock, so I have no idea how 10MM Auto feels in a plastic gun, but I have fired many lightweights even down to a 24 ounce S&W CS10. As far as the metal framed handguns go, the Smith and Wesson 10xx family of autoloaders were very soft shooting but they could not meet the accuracy of a Colt Delta Gold Cup. The Colts were noticeably harsher in the recoil department. I found the flat main spring housings to be much more pleasant to shoot than the arched version

The 10MM Auto cartridge is wonderful when you have a windshield between you and a armed felon, in fact it is much preferable to any 9MM Parabellum, 40 S&W or 38 Special you could carry as you Patrol the Highways and yes I have had to shoot through a windshield

Yes I am a BIG fan (since 1990) and no I have never entered any kind of match with a handgun chambered in 10MM Auto. I always used my 45ACP in IPSC. BTW, I am not familiar with a GSSF match.

Being here on the SIGForum, I will start with one of best shooting and absoluty the softest shooting pistols chambered in 10MM Auto that I have ever come across is the Mauser M2. These were never manufactured in that cartridge, but it is an easy conversion. The rotating barrel lockup absorbs much of the recoil pulse.

It is a shame that SIG did not do a better job promoting and selling these well built little pistols in their 3 factory chamberings.

The SIG P220 is a wonderful platform for the 10MM Auto cartridge. I have been shooting one for many years now.

I have even developed a 240 grain JHP subsonic loading for use in some integrally suppressed 10MM Auto chambered SMGs

The 10MM Auto cartridge is also great on Hogs and similar tough game . Far superior to either 9MM Parabellum or 45 ACP

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
To me, 10mm in warmer loads is akin to .41 magnum on the lower end, just with more rounds available than a .41 revolver
Much of the "like a 41 Magnum" chatter that goes on around the internet is a mis-quote from an article that John Taffin did on the 10MM Magnum cartridge about 20+ years ago. In that article he did say the 10MM was on par with the 41 Magnum. However he was not referring to the 10MM Auto, it was the 10MM Magnum. Folks have just ended up dropping that last part. . .thus an Internet Urban Legend is born

Yes it is possible to download the 41 Magnum to the level of the full power 10MM Auto, but I have never seen the need. BTW, 41 Magnum is one of my favorite cartridges as well Smile

I have never heard anyone comment after a firefight that they wished they had a less powerful firearm with them that day

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it is the combination of accuracy, power and easily carried size that sell the 10mm for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Not just a 10mm guy. I tend to shoot most any caliber. I frequently like to shoot:

25 ACP
380 ACP
7.65mm Luger
9mm Luger
357 Sig
9mm Steyr
40 S&W
45 ACP
38 Super
10mm Auto
327 Fed Mag
357 Magnum
41 Magnum
44 Magnum
440 Cor-Bon
50 Action Express
45-70 Government
460 S&W

and that is just pistol rounds. Big Grin

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I see it as a hunting caliber. Hits hard and penetrates. Don't think I would want to carry my P220-10 around all day, though.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Not just a 10mm guy. I tend to shoot most any caliber. I frequently like to shoot:

25 ACP
380 ACP
7.65mm Luger
9mm Luger
357 Sig
9mm Steyr
40 S&W
45 ACP
38 Super
10mm Auto
327 Fed Mag
357 Magnum
41 Magnum
44 Magnum
440 Cor-Bon
50 Action Express
45-70 Government
460 S&W

and that is just pistol rounds. Big Grin

I can not believe that you forgot to include 38 SUPER in that list Smile

I know it was implied

Sorry, for being off topic

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Muzzle Velocity: 1600 fps
Muzzle Energy: 767 ft lbs

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Mink feet, all I got to say really is, you should try it sometime, you'll like it.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
I like a 10mm on my hip when out in the woods.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Much of the "like a 41 Magnum" chatter that goes on around the internet is a mis-quote from an article that John Taffin did on the 10MM Magnum cartridge about 20+ years ago. In that article he did say the 10MM was on par with the 41 Magnum. However he was not referring to the 10MM Auto, it was the 10MM Magnum. Folks have just ended up dropping that last part. . .thus an Internet Urban Legend is born

Yes it is possible to download the 41 Magnum to the level of the full power 10MM Auto, but I have never seen the need. BTW, 41 Magnum is one of my favorite cartridges as well Smile

I don't know anything about Taffin's article, but I was speaking for myself, not parroting someone else, and my comments weren't borne of internet lore.

For me, 10mm represents a lower-end .41, in an auto, as that's where it sits.

.41 is an outstanding all-around cartridge, albeit not widely popular. 10mm, likewise, is a great cartridge, just not that popular; the two are comparable in performance and capability.

Even in a "light" Glock, 10mm is quite controllable. I wouldn't win a speed contest against someone firing 9mm, but then I wouldn't win a speed contest either way. I do have some measure of confidence in the 10mm, however, and some confidence in the .357 Sig, too. I don't shoot either one in competition, and I'm not really competitive, but I do carry the .357 Sig, because it's available in smaller frames than 10mm.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Lots of people live in rural places, so having a pistol for 4 legged threats makes sense. Lots of people wish they also lived in rural areas. Have you never seen someone wear cowboy boots or realtree in a city?

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
i am building a house on top of bull run mountain that has bear scat all over the place....

lots of coyote, etc, too

the glock 40 in the kenai chest rig is peace of mind

would my glock 19 work...maybe? bear arent huge in virginia

but the 10mm definitely will work

and i have to say, shooting the glock 40 is a blast (pun intended)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I keep saying it's a really powerful cartridge for people who don't shoot actual powerful cartridges. Big Grin

A few years back I let an aquaintance shoot one of my .45 Colts. Real powder puff loads. He gave it back saying he didn't like it, it kicked like a mule. Confused

Then I realized he'd never shot anything bigger than a 40 S&W in a semi auto. He's the kind of guy wow'd by the 10mm. Wink

I'm still trying to decide if I want another one, I was underwhelmed by the one I had. (semi auto that is, I've had 10mm / 38/40 revolver for many years but I never shoot 10mm out of it.)

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know it was implied

Yup, number nine on the list. Close to a 357 Sig, with the capacity of a 9mm. I know I have it bad when I started modifying Kriss Vector mags for 38 Super.

A double stack 10mm always has my attention. Only 41 Magnum I can find is a single stack. Concerning shooting 'powerful' handguns, I would have to give 50AE the nod for pistols & 460 S&W for revolvers. A good muzzle brake does wonders with these.

If Mink wasn't several states away, I'd swing by and let him squeeze off a few mags.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

I know it was implied

Yup, number nine on the list. Close to a 357 Sig, with the capacity of a 9mm. I know I have it bad when I started modifying Kriss Vector mags for 38 Super.

A double stack 10mm always has my attention. Only 41 Magnum I can find is a single stack. Concerning shooting 'powerful' handguns, I would have to give 50AE the nod for pistols & 460 S&W for revolvers. A good muzzle brake does wonders with these.

If Mink wasn't several states away, I'd swing by and let him squeeze off a few mags.

I have got to stop reading these Forums on my cell phone. I can not believe that I missed it.

If you want 357SIG performance along with 9MM Capacity, there is alwasy 9x23 Winchester in the full size frames or 356TSW in the 9MM frames.

Again, off topic, but I opened up the chambers on my S&W 940s so I could carry 38 Super in them Smile

I know it is pictured with 9MM Parabellum ammunition, I need a new photo

Back on topic, for the double stack 10MM Autos, I am fond of the Witness Elite line of pistols.

The Elite Match is a nice reasonably priced piece, but the two that really make the 10MM Auto cartridge shine are the Witness Elite Limited

And the long slide Witness Hunter

The Limited is quite a bit of firearm for the amount of money that EAA charges for these and the 6" long slide Hunter just gives us that extra velocity that we all crave out of the 10MM Auto

Mink is too far away from me to offer some trigger time to.

I have hosted more than a few of our fellow Forum members that wanted to try out some of the stuff.

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

posted Hide Post
Never thought much about 10mm until moving to N.W. Montana 1-1/2 years ago. Some talk about them at the range and gun counters, and a few people had them last year.
This year more talk and more people had them for hunting, hiking, and backpacking. These are experienced people and the 10mm is making a lot of sense to them.
My shooting buddy, a retired forester, bought a Glock 40. We have enjoyed it this summer. Every one who picked it up shot it well, even me. He took it with him on an elk hunting trip with his boys in grizzly country, and felt comforted with it by his side. It replaced his heavier 44 mag revolver that he usually carried.

Have to keep my garbage inside to keep bears out of it in the fall, this is in a subdivision only a few miles out of town. A Glock 40 is starting to make a lot of sense to me for my investigate the night gun.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post