SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why 10mm?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why 10mm? Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Spend any amount of time in the back country where bear and wolves and big cats and moose and meth labs and grow operations are regular features, and the clarity as to 'why' becomes so Swarovski crystalline (as in extremely clear). For guys who like a little "ooomph" to their recoil it'll make a lot of sense because of the silly grin that becomes such a prominent fixture on one's face whenever the discussion of 10mm takes place.

That's why.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
It's the .357mag of Autos. Although I do not hunt, it is apparently very popular with those who hunt with pistols.

Even if loaded lighter, I expect the terminal ballistics are better than .45ACP.

I just love shooting it.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Big Grin OK, so I'm weird, but I was looking at the new GP100 in 10mm just because I think it'll do what a 357 Mag would but wouldn't require me to add a new caliber to the stash.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why?

Because its FUN that's why.

I carry mine when I'm hiking.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I'm in the bear woods a lot in Michigan. When I can't carry a long gun, (cutting/splitting wood, picking morels, fishing, etc) I carry a Model 20 loaded with 220 hard cast Buffalo bore at 1200fps, and a little over 700 foot-pounds. I know there are hotter loads, but I am comfortable, accurate, and confident with this one. That does not mean I wouldn't rather have a .45-70 or a 12 ga full of slugs. The 10 mm is a handy outdoors guy compromise.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Because there isn't a .357mag or larger revolver that holds 10+ rounds.

Because some of us must contend with four-legged-critters and the two-legged variety.

Because in a G20 you have more oomph and capacity and reliability than almost any other pistol.

Etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good friend of mine picked up his Springfield XDM 10mm today. His 1000 rounds of FMJ should be here tomorrow. Pretty sure we'll run a few rounds through it Saturday.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
10mm Glock 29 an excellent woods / backpacking gun for everywhere except Grizzle country. Shoots flat and has punch.

1911 version a nice thin city concealed carry option using the lighter weight bullets.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) It really deserves a 10" barrel. It gets down right nifty in one.

B) I like the recoil impulse. The 40 is too snappy, and the 45 is a bit slow - feels like its easier to get on top of and run - same as the 357 Sig.

C) Umm... More round capacity than a 45? I think a bit better sectional density - really, though, it's an incredible caliber if anyone comes up w. a reliable carbine/pistol using a shared magazine.

(I know KRISS is trying. Not sure how reliable it is.)

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've got a few. I've always been underwhelmed by them. They don't seem to have the power of a 357, much less a 41 magnum to me.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From looking at advertised ballistics on the Buffalo Bore and Underwood websites, I think the 10mm compares more favorably with the 357 magnum than the 41 magnum cartridge. 180gr 357 lswc is advertised at 1400fps and 783 ft/lb. To get near this energy from a 10mm lighter (135gr -155gr) bullets are required. 200 gr 10mm bullets at 1250fps bring around 700 ft/lb. That seems to be as good as it gets. 41 magnum loads all seem to deliver over 1000 ft/lb. The 10mm is a substantial cartridge when loaded to its full potential but I do think the it has been "hyped up" a bit.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
The 10mm overlaps the .357 magnum ballistics. Anywhere you would carry a .357 magnum revolver is covered by a 10mm semi-automatic with more rounds. Both the .357 magnum and the 10mm can be loaded up to the low end of .41 magnum, but that doesn't make either of them .41 magnums.

I have owned and carried a 10mm since 1992. I currently own two Colt Delta Elites, a Glock G40, a Ruger Match Champion GP100, and a Springfield Armory TRP Operator in 10mm.

There is a lot of internet BS and hype around the 10mm.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LimaCharlie's summation is succinct and describes most of the motivation to own a 10mm pistol:
"The 10mm overlaps the .357 magnum ballistics. Anywhere you would carry a .357 magnum revolver is covered by a 10mm semi-automatic with more rounds."

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why 10mm? Because they don't make a 12mm

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Never owned a 10mm pistol but have shot ones friends owned.

Instead I have a soft spot for the .400 Cor-Bon which, with lighter bullets pretty much matches equivalent 10mm rounds. Heavy fodder is the domain of the full house 10mm though.

Why? I had originally pined for a .41AE which would have been a simple 9mm handgun conversion. But before I could pull the trigger on one, S&W basically killed the market with their .40. That and if you were interesting in their caliber it meant a whole new gun and not a conversion. Yes, they pissed me off with the move.

Well Peter Pi's .400 Cor-Bon is to the .45ACP what the .41AE was to the 9mm. It's a simple conversion. Handloading is a bit touchy as you must go the extra mile to ensure no potential setbacks. I use a Corbin cannalure tool in that effort as well as a solid appropriate crimp.

I have two pistols with .400 C-B conversion kits and enjoy shooting the round since it was introduced at SHOT back in '97.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Would have liked to have seen the 41AE do better than it did. Never had a 400 Cor-Bon, but I do have a 440 Cor-Bon (240 grains @ 1,800 ft/s & 1,727 ft-lbs), but ammo is kinda spendy. The 440 Cor-Bon is the 357 Sig of what 50 AE is to the 40 S&W.

quote:
Originally posted by matai:
Why 10mm? Because they don't make a 12mm

They do make a 12.7mm that is worth shooting. 50 Action Express does the trick. I considered the 50 GI, but the advantages didn't outweigh the expense in my opinion.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
To me, (and I don't own one) the benefit of the 10 MM is that it is the most powerful autopistol caliber that is both easily available in factory loads anywhere ammo is sold, comes in reasonably sized pistols, and is supported in factory original stock by numerous firearm manufacturers.

If I spent more time in the deep woods, and didn't already carry a .44 mag when I do go, I'd have a Glock 40.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10mm only needs to hit you once.

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Because I can use the same ammunition in my Ruger GP100 or my Glock G40MOS. It simplifies things.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
Because I can use the same ammunition in my Ruger GP100 or my Glock G40MOS. It simplifies things.

DAMNIT! Why did you have to post that? I had no idea that such a thing existed and now after checking it out on Ruger's website, I've got one one order.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post