SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FS P320 vs FS M&P 2.0 9mm.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FS P320 vs FS M&P 2.0 9mm. Login/Join 
posted
Which do you prefer and why?

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M&P 2.0 5" or M&P 2.0 compact hands down. I'm not a fan of the P320 trigger or of the way it feels in my hand.

Note: I specifically say the 5inch M&P because the 4.25 is pretty useless now that the M&P 2.0 compact came out.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M&P 5" pistol, Not pleased with Sig P320 and the trigger issues or the Sig response.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to like the 320. Went through the trigger recall thing, which I thought they handled ok at first. But recent info suggests that they knew about the problem for a while but didn't want to possibly lose the military contract (IMHO). That being said, My former 320 Tacops had a lot more muzzle flip than the Smith. Off the topic, but I went with the Gen 5 Glocks.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The P320 is no doubt, a very accurate pistol. I don’t care for Sigs polymer formulation. Feels thin & soul less. I’m also turned off on the promise that was the P320. You know, the Sig marketing screw up with interchangeability that was suppose to be the exchange kits? The ones that were jacked up in price and then Became difficult to find? Maybe it was the QA problem, you know-if you dropped the P320 wrong it could discharge and hurt you or perhaps take your life?

I’ll side with the M&P 2.0, reasons cited above...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had very high hopes for P320. Bought several. Attended their P320 school. Finally, Gray's $100 trigger made them usable. Grips in some cases took six months to procure even with state S&W rep. helping. . . . and then, clearly, SIG did not learn what Glock, S&W, Ruger, Canik and others know about unlatched trigger bars.
It is clear that a pistol with a trigger-bar not having a finger-latch will fire when sufficient force in the right direction is applied to the pistol. A trigger-bar that is only capable of movement when it is unlatched by one's trigger-finger (or a grip "safety") is a needed capability - especially in a striker-fired pistol.

The SIG "fix" appears to result in both worse, about-same, and better triggers.

For not much more than about half the cost, one can purchase a M2.0 in 9mm, replace the sear with Apex two-dot sear, select the one-of-four included grips that fits you, and have a great performing pistol.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a "Sig" guy...228, 220, 938 and 320. I had to do a side-by-side of my 320C and the M&P 2.0 compact...I sold my P320. In my hands there was no comparison. The M&P had the better trigger, more ergonomic, tighter groups at 30Ft., it is a keeper. That said, I put a Talon grip on it. After 1 day my side was raw from the aggressive grip. NOW it is perfect.

Here there is no failure, only varied degrees of success!

Posts: 884 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: August 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Had very high hopes for P320. Bought several. Attended their P320 school. Finally, Gray's $100 trigger made them usable. Grips in some cases took six months to procure even with state S&W rep. helping. . . . and then, clearly, SIG did not learn what Glock, S&W, Ruger, Canik and others know about unlatched trigger bars.
It is clear that a pistol with a trigger-bar not having a finger-latch will fire when sufficient force in the right direction is applied to the pistol. A trigger-bar that is only capable of movement when it is unlatched by one's trigger-finger (or a grip "safety") is a needed capability - especially in a striker-fired pistol.

The SIG "fix" appears to result in both worse, about-same, and better triggers.

For not much more than about half the cost, one can purchase a M2.0 in 9mm, replace the sear with Apex two-dot sear, select the one-of-four included grips that fits you, and have a great performing pistol.

So does that mean that you're going to re-register as "M&P2.0Mac"? Big Grin

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
M&P 2.0. For me it's not even close.

Being the ingrained Glock owner that I am, the 320 doesn't point well at all for me. Even the classic P-SIGs were never this 'off' for me. The M&P is far better in this regard; I can adjust to its grip angle much easier than I ever could with my 320C. It feels thinner in a very good way in-hand. The 2.0 texture is spot-on secure. It works much the same as my 1.0 guns, only better.

The crunchy trigger of my pre-fix 320C didn't exactly score brownie points. And there's the fussy internals of the SIG trigger group; quite upsetting to my simpleton Glock sensibilities. Plus no M&P--2.0 or otherwise--is close to being this clutzy when it comes to all the little bits and pieces that have to be dealt with when detail stripping and reassembling a 320 trigger pack. 'Annoying' doesn't begin to describe it. The only saving grace with the 320 series is the 'grip module' concept. Mess one up and it's only $40 to replace, with no worries over it being serialized, since it isn't. But unless SIG were to offer a module whose angle was more Glock-like, it ultimately ends up being a nice idea that can't overcome the gun's other flaws.

However it's not like the polymer M&Ps are perfect guns; certainly the 1.0s had their share of issues and outright flaws. But S&W has managed to fix most if not all of the things that saddled the 1.0 guns. The triggers still could be better, but at least there's an audible and tactile reset where before there quite often was nothing. And this time around I'm less likely to be concerned over how a company can unintentionally make stainless steel rust, as could often happen in generation 1.0. But most importantly, I feel a bit more confident that their poly frames aren't going to be as susceptible to cracking, as infrequently happened with the 1.0 guns. Like the 1.0s before, the 2.0s shoot very well for me, feel secure and confident in-hand and address most of the concerns I developed over time with the 1.0 (the 2.0 thumb safety location and activator lever still sucks, not that I'd ever buy one so equipped). The only really stupid thing on the 2.0 is the near useless right side of the ambi slide stop.

If I do have another non-Glock striker in my gun-buying future (currently low, low, low on my priority list), the latest S&W M&P in compact form and free of any stupid thumb safety would be the one.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am quite satisfied wiht my P320F. However the grip is/was much too round. I flattened my grip with a belt sander so that the sides are quite flat, with some roundness on the corners. When the X-5 carry grips are available in the large size, I will try one of those.

My pistol shoots 2" groups at 50 yards, I do not belive the M&P 2.0 pistols shoot anywhere near that. In the JLJones thread 2.0 , he mentioned the great ergonomics and great trigger of the M&P, but that the accuracy was only 4"-4.5" at 25 yards once broken in. My P320 is shooting 1" at that distance. With care, I can put in multiple rounds in a 1/2" group at 7 yards, unsupported. That shows a great trigger as well as an accurate barrel.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
M&P. Feels better in my hand, especially with the new texturing. I have no need for the modularity that the p320 offers.

M&P has a larger aftermarket as well.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is why there is a free market. I have both and its not even close for me. 320. With the 1.0's I had to go Apex to start with. The 2.0 is better but I still prefer the non hinged Apex.

As for the plastic feeling thin and soul less I have little response because it is thin and soul less and costs 30 bucks to buy another one in another size. I also can find exchange kits and parts pretty easily. As time goes on I suspect it will continue to improve in that respect. Right now the Sig sight has multiple kits. As to price I agree that Sig is pricing themselves out of the kit market. 407 for a kit is stupid high. I will buy a complete gun for just a bit more.

The three I sent in the triggers were easily the same, plus or minus. They still all shoot one hole and while others find the SC clunky I prefer it to a G26 because I can actually get that third finger on the grip.

To each his own.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
M2.0 hands down for me. Trigger, ergos, sights, and general handling.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently tested both and shot them back to back, I know have a M&P 2.0 5 inch and I'm very happy with my choice. The M&P is a very soft shooter and the texture is great.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Our instructional staff seems split pretty evenly between the 2.0 and P320. I have quite a bit of time on both, and prefer the 2.0. I'd say it would be hard to make a wrong choice with any of the major manufacturers these days.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Probably should change name to something else - like M2.0Mac.

However, a family P320F9RX worked over by Mr. Gray has been shot in Bullseye competition. Loaned a redundant P320F9BSS (early purchase - Gray $100 trigger) to IDPA competitior who proceeded, with WIN ammo, to shoot zero-down.

. . . and I did shoot Gray overhauled P320C9 in IDPA for a while - but M2.0 4.25 with Apex two-dot sear is a lot better.

Reluctant to even think about the expense, lost-time, driving, removal of improved parts, and uncertain result of sending P320s back to SIG - and then possibly back to Gray.

Trigger-bars should have latches - finger activated or grip activated. Stand by for recall of P365.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I am quite satisfied wiht my P320F. However the grip is/was much too round. I flattened my grip with a belt sander so that the sides are quite flat, with some roundness on the corners. When the X-5 carry grips are available in the large size, I will try one of those.

My pistol shoots 2" groups at 50 yards, I do not belive the M&P 2.0 pistols shoot anywhere near that. In the JLJones thread 2.0 , he mentioned the great ergonomics and great trigger of the M&P, but that the accuracy was only 4"-4.5" at 25 yards once broken in. My P320 is shooting 1" at that distance. With care, I can put in multiple rounds in a 1/2" group at 7 yards, unsupported. That shows a great trigger as well as an accurate barrel.

Do you have any pictures of those groupings? I probably am not nearly as steady as you being well into my 60s but I can't match that with any of my guns(unsupported). Don't get me wrong I am not saying you can't do it, I just would like to see groups that tight.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
M&P 2.0

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go for the Smith because SO MANY recent SIGs are the victims of underdevelopement and multiple recalls including the 320. I simply don't trust new SIGs from personal experience with multiple firearms.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lmacrichter:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

Do you have any pictures of those groupings? I probably am not nearly as steady as you being well into my 60s but I can't match that with any of my guns(unsupported). Don't get me wrong I am not saying you can't do it, I just would like to see groups that tight.

Let me work on that. However the action range is often shooting at 10 yards, so the group will be a little wider.

On the 50 yard group, it was Bruce himself who tested my gun after GGI worked on it. He reported to my that mine was shooting 2" at 50 yards.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post