SIGforum
Walther PPQ polygonal barrels

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9560009534

January 09, 2018, 11:29 AM
ziggy308
Walther PPQ polygonal barrels
I just pick up a Walther ppq that has the new Polygonal barrel like Glock would rather have the standard lands and groves. Any one know of a barrel maker that makes barrels for the PPQ. I think it was a big step back for them to do this on such a well selling gun.

need to post picks for item up for sale
January 09, 2018, 12:30 PM
dc54
I was looking for a threaded 45 barrel and Jarvis was the only aftermarket barrel I could find.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers
January 09, 2018, 12:52 PM
BuddyChryst
I'd bet if you shot them side to side, you couldn't tell a difference. Have you even shot it yet?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy
January 09, 2018, 01:10 PM
ziggy308
yes side by side with my p99 after they cabon up they are not as accurate. Leading if you shoot lead reload is a big problem with them to.

January 09, 2018, 01:12 PM
lcbjr77
When did you buy this PPQ?

quote:
Originally posted by ziggy308:
I just pick up a Walther ppq that has the new Polygonal barrel like Glock would rather have the standard lands and groves. Any one know of a barrel maker that makes barrels for the PPQ. I think it was a big step back for them to do this on such a well selling gun.

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

January 09, 2018, 01:15 PM
soggy_spinout
Hmm...I find that I'm very accurate with my PPQ. I shoot it better than I do my P99 AS, and I shoot that one pretty good as well.
January 09, 2018, 04:46 PM
hile
I also find myself very accurate with my PPQ M2. Love it and my Glocks.
January 09, 2018, 06:48 PM
parabellum
Over its 20+ years of production, the Walther P99 has evolved from a DA/SA trigger with a decocker, to becoming a Glock. The trigger has become that of the Glock, safety blade on the trigger and all. The paddle style magazine release has now become in the M2 that of the Glock, with its push button release. The rifling of the barrel was changed from traditional land-and-groove, to polygonal rifling.

I think what Walther has now done is to out-Glock Glock. Recently I purchased a PPQ "Classic", also known retroactively as the M1 (has the old style paddle release). The trigger of this pistol is far better than the out of the box trigger on any Glock I own.

I can't say enough good things about this pistol. It feels fantastic in the hand and I think it's going to prove to be a very shootable pistol, and yes, it's polygonally rifled. I put some Federal HST 124 grain through it, both standard velocity and +P. Too bad the suppressor barrel for this pistol is not threaded 13.5x1 LH.

I looked at the HK VP9 very closely before buying the PPQ. I think I made the right choice.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
January 09, 2018, 07:42 PM
ziggy308
Para is the crown on the end of you barrel flat like my PPQ or does yours have a radius cut.

January 09, 2018, 08:44 PM
parabellum
It's radiused.
January 09, 2018, 08:50 PM
BB61
Allegedly the polygonal barrels are more accurate. I have a G19 G3, PPQ M2 and a VP9. I agree with Para that Walther out Glocked Glock but I would also add in the VP9 too. That being said, I have no complaints about my G19.

As to your original question, I’m only aware of Jarvis. I have thought of getting their conversion barrel for my .40 PPQ M2 but haven’t yet. You could try the Walther forum to see if anyone there may have a lead on an original factory barrel that is not polygonal.

January 09, 2018, 11:15 PM
dewhorse
This post piqued my interest....after reading it and then an article describing how its made I think I finally found my new 9mm or at least I need to try one.

Thanks
January 10, 2018, 08:06 AM
Augen
I became a fan of Walthers a few years ago with the 22. I know others had problems but me not so. This last year I switched to the PPS M2 for CC and bought a 5" PPQ for fun because of the rebate. I am considering picking up another PPS because of the low pricing.

I see the newer m2 version have the US threaded barrels; I believe the m1 versions had the metric threading so that's where I'd look for the LH thread option.
January 10, 2018, 08:30 AM
hile
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I looked at the HK VP9 very closely before buying the PPQ. I think I made the right choice.

I came to the same conclusion between the same two pistols. My Glocks are generally my go-to primary pistols, though. My PPS M2 is my ankle gun.
January 10, 2018, 08:33 AM
sns3guppy
quote:
Originally posted by ziggy308:
yes side by side with my p99 after they cabon up they are not as accurate. Leading if you shoot lead reload is a big problem with them to.

If you're having leading problems in that barrel, it's either too soft lead, or being shot too fast. Leading is not a problem in polygonal barrels.
January 10, 2018, 07:38 PM
parabellum
The P99 Compact is still in production, and there's the PPS as well, so I don't think we'll see it, but a PPQ Compact would probably be a great pistol. Maybe Walther will surprise us at SHOT.
January 10, 2018, 09:28 PM
grumpy1
This is the newest PPQ. pretty much the same size as P99C. 10 round magazine with and without pinky extender and will be able to use 15 round with Walther grip sleeve.

January 10, 2018, 09:31 PM
BB61
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
This is the newest PPQ. pretty much the same size as P99C. 10 round magazine and will be able to use 15 round with Walther grip sleeve.

That's tempting.

January 10, 2018, 09:33 PM
parabellum
Outta sight

BTW, I realize it's advertising hype, but they need to lay off of that "legendary" stuff. The PPQ is still NKOB IMO.

Now, if I can just get that with the paddle mag release...
January 11, 2018, 08:08 AM
Augen
Well that explains the reduced PPS pricing. I’ll have to check the dimensions between the 2. If I do change my cc preference I think I’d grind down the front grooves.