SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need some help with my P220 and the trigger not returning after SRT and E2 grip install.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help with my P220 and the trigger not returning after SRT and E2 grip install. Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
This is my old duty gun. Made around 2000. I have checked the hammer strut and TBS. As I dry fire most times the trigger will not completely return. On the range, it’s fine. I don’t know whT else to do.

My last thought is to send it to Sig and have them fix it. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
Pull the grips off and recheck the trigger bar spring. It is easy to bump the spring and muck it up when installing the grips. Best way to reinstall is with a flat card to make sure the spring does not move.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ What tcfiero said.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Houge (or Sig Branded Houge) G10 grips are the best I've found for a P220. They are slim, grippy, and install with screws. The E2 is a bit fussy IMO, but I agree that the trigger return spring is the likely cause here.

Usually if something isn't right, take it back apart and reassemble it again, somehow that usually takes care of things...

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have taken them off several times. I’ve done the card trick. Nothing works.

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Houge (or Sig Branded Houge) G10 grips are the best I've found for a P220. They are slim, grippy, and install with screws. The E2 is a bit fussy IMO, but I agree that the trigger return spring is the likely cause here.

Usually if something isn't right, take it back apart and reassemble it again, somehow that usually takes care of things...

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
Didn't SIG use a different trigger bar spring on older P220's? Could yours have the older style spring and that's what's causing your headache?

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been awhile but I had a similar problem on my old duty 220. If I remember correctly, the trigger bar reset spring was too long (just the tip where it hooks the bar)when installed and would disconnect upon engaging the trigger to full stroke and thereby not resetting. Considered cutting myself but just called customer service who promptly sent a new one on them. Try dry firing without the grips to assess where the hiccup may be.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Common problem with installing/removing E2's on ANY Sig. TBS has been bent. With the TBS, it's nearly impossible to tell whether it has been bent enough to inhibit proper return of the TBS. Once bent, uninstalling and reinstalling will do nothing for the problem.

Apart from the E2 specific issue, you should always have a spare TBS available. They are cheap and will tell you immediately whether it was a bent spring.

Also, follow Mustang-PaPa's suggestion.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this problem before with the E2 grips on my P229. I did the card trick and it worked great, just put it over the spring while installing the grips. I bought a few of the springs,like some of the other guys are saying, they are cheap and worth it to have on hand. Once the spring is bent,chuck it. It will never be the same again. I even used a P225 spring on it once,which is not as curved as the newer p229 spring and it worked perfectly as well and seemed stronger.

Like some of the other people are saying,some parts may need to be replaced if they aren't the correct ones for the E2 grips. Some people don't like the E2 grips but I love the way they change the overall comfort and angle of the grip.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have done the card trick. I do have another TBS. I’m guessing they’re both bent. Yes, it functions fine with the grips off. I will call sig tomorrow. I appreciate all of the responses.

I really like the E2 grips. I changed the hammer strut, spring, mainspring seat and decock lever.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Talked to Sig today. Said I have the outdated U shaped TBS. Said I needed the updated one with the curly cue spring. Would any of you have a pic of the old and new one?

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I'm technologically challenged and don't do pics but if you Google 220 trigger bar spring, you may get some decent images. Funny though my old 220 functions with the spring without the curly Q.

So I may have led you wrong with trying without the grips. The spring tip may be long that the side of the spring brushes against the grip and disengages so it functions properly without the grips. With no grips, the spring can bode out and the tip wouldn't be pushed out.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Screen cap off the internet, not exact but gives you an idea.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
No problem. I appreciate your response. I did google but was not helpful. Sit did say they didn’t have the spring and it would take a while. As long as it fixes the issue, I’m good with it.

quote:
Originally posted by madmatt:
Sorry, I'm technologically challenged and don't do pics but if you Google 220 trigger bar spring, you may get some decent images. Funny though my old 220 functions with the spring without the curly Q.

So I may have led you wrong with trying without the grips. The spring tip may be long that the side of the spring brushes against the grip and disengages so it functions properly without the grips. With no grips, the spring can bode out and the tip wouldn't be pushed out.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Talked to Sig today. Said I have the outdated U shaped TBS. Said I needed the updated one with the curly cue spring. Would any of you have a pic of the old and new one?

I don't know what the SIG CSR was talking about. The P220 TBS has always been no coil in the middle, new or old guns. Other models, like the P226/228/229, use the coiled TBS in the newer guns, but it doesn't mean the old non-coiled TBS suddenly stop working. I'm sorry, but the CSR was blowing smoke.

TBS for P226/7/8/9

TBS for P220

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your he info and links. It will be interesting to see what they send me.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

I don't know what the SIG CSR was talking about. The P220 TBS has always been no coil in the middle, new or old guns. Other models, like the P226/228/229, use the coiled TBS in the newer guns, but it doesn't mean the old non-coiled TBS suddenly stop working. I'm sorry, but the CSR was blowing smoke.

TBS for P226/7/8/9

TBS for P220

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Just to update. I received the spring and it is the U shaped spring like I had. I’ll try the card trick again.

posted Hide Post
The U shaped one is correct. Install and just put the right grip panel on without screws. Dry fire for function, should work now. Hope it works... this was exactly what was happening with mine when I initially installed the SRT. The longer SRT brushed the trigger spring off the reset bar.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madmatt:
The U shaped one is correct. Install and just put the right grip panel on without screws. Dry fire for function, should work now. Hope it works... this was exactly what was happening with mine when I initially installed the SRT. The longer SRT brushed the trigger spring off the reset bar.
Yeah, that would work if he wasn't wanting to use E2 grips...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What he said, my bad again.... All I have on my 220s are Hogue G10s. But essentially the problem may still be the SRT brushing the spring off the trigger reset bar.
Good Luck; hope the new spring works.

Semper Fi
Madmatt