SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question Re: 1944 Remington Rand 1911A1 Markings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re: 1944 Remington Rand 1911A1 Markings Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
While scrolling through some older photos, I discovered these pictures of a 1944 Remington Rand 1911A1 I sold about 9 years ago. If one looks closely at the M 1911 A1 U.S. ARMY stamping, it appears as though the area beneath the lettering may have been filled with weld and re-stamped. This is most evident below the word ARMY. I always suspected this pistol to have been reparkerized, though it does not display any arsenal rebuild codes. I know some early 1911A1 1911 examples were marked USN while those manufactured later in the war were all designated US ARMY. Since this pistol falls cleanly within the third block of serial numbers assigned to Remington Rand in 1944, I doubt this was a salvaged receiver. Any ideas what we may have here? Thanks!

Posts: 3501 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That looks to me like just a scratch. I don't see any real indication of it being welded up and restamped there.

Or it could possibly be a line from the edge of the stamping die, although I'm not sure I've seen any other M1911s with such a stamping mark, and on other firearms with such stamp edge marks they're generally straighter/more uniform.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I will say that parkerizing is very clean. Maybe it was re-parkerized, but I don't know what that implies, if anything, about the stamps.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see the mark you are talking about and there appears to be a shadow of it clear back under the USP. I can't imagine what it would cost to weld up and remark a scrubbed frame on such a common gun. You might show it on a Colt or 1911 board,

quote:
I know some early 1911A1 examples were marked USN

Really? You got pictures? I did not know of any guns specifically marked for the Navy since 1915.

Posts: 3283 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Sure looks to me like that portion has been filled/restamped. I'm no expert but it looks like metal white-out right around the block of lettering.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Really? You got pictures? I did not know of any guns specifically marked for the Navy since 1915.

You are indeed correct. Going from memory, I thought some of the very early pre-WWII A1's were USN. Thanks!

Posts: 3501 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That looks to me like just a scratch. I don't see any real indication of it being welded up and restamped there.

It's definitely not a scratch. Under magnification, the area in question appears slightly raised. I wish I had clearer photos. Unfortunately, this was 2 or 3 digital cameras ago. Thanks.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Whatever it is under the "Army", I've seen similar looking whatevers on guns/metal before. Blowing up the picture, it's under the 1911 A1 that looks really puzzling to me.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I see the mark you are talking about and there appears to be a shadow of it clear back under the USP. I can't imagine what it would cost to weld up and remark a scrubbed frame on such a common gun. You might show it on a Colt or 1911 board,

quote:
I know some early 1911A1 examples were marked USN

A friend of mine had a WWI US. Navy marked 1911 or pre-WWII that was in excellent shape. He recently sold it to the owner of a large gun store for $10,600.

I spoke to him, gun was in very good condition WW I, with all original parts, was authenticated that it was sent to The USS York and was an officer's gun. His father bought 3 US military 1911's (the other 2 being army 1911's and WW II) and a M1 carbine from a friend for $300 for all of them in the mid 1970's. The owner of the large gun store (and Class III) went crazy over it and bought it for his personal collection.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Definitely put it on the Colt Forum - there's a handful there that can likely lay it all out one way or the other in pretty quick time.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've read of Colt peening away the Goverment Model stamp on commercial guns to mark them for Military use. It left a unsightly recessed area which was not filled prior to restamp. Your GI has that mark put there to drive a thinking person crazy. I've not a clue. It's a sticker hjs. Peel it off. If it reads Singer beneath it, its your lucky day.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
the serial number is in the correct range (late 44 too) and the FJA and P look right,

cannot remember if it should be NO. or No. for that range,

how is it marked on the top of the frame, (any inspector marks on the top shelf near the disco hole?

I'd have to dig Clawson's out to see if the 3 on the trigger guard is the correct inspectors,

the folks on the Colt forum may help, or the military section of the 1911 forum,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is a scratch on a great gun. I had one of those Remington with a SN indicating from the first contract of 1500. I didn't have the original mag, but otherwise superb. I showed it to a collector friend to be sure all was good with it. He later mentioned it someone who offered me several hundred more than it was worth, so I no longer have it.

229, 220, 320 Xcompact, 365, 365XL

Posts: 38 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post