SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gun Aesthetics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Aesthetics Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I know we've talked before about pretty vs ugly guns, but I was wondering what the percentages are along the line between and including the extremes.

Question:
Where are you on the continuum of gun aesthetics ?

Choices:
I don't care what it looks like, if it functions well I don't give a rip how it looks
Good guns are like a good wife, pretty is just icing on the cake if she's good to be around
If she's not hot, sexy, and racy, I won't even look
You're asking the wrong guy I can't afford either
It's just a tool, the question is irrelevant
None of the above, please splain thyself

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
As Arnold said... "All".

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I chose "Good guns are like a good wife..." b/c let's face it, how many of you guys would feel comfortable if the gun shot the lights out, but looked every inch like a dildo. Just sayin' Big Grin

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Some people consider them tools and treat them as such. I do not. Looks matter to me as much as how they shoot. No reason to compromise when you're spending that much money on something like that.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I voted for the second option, but functionality does seem to carry something of an aesthetic value with it. A good pistol tends to look attractive without even having to try.

quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
I chose "Good guns are like a good wife..." b/c let's face it, how many of you guys would feel comfortable if the gun shot the lights out, but looked every inch like a dildo. Just sayin' Big Grin

I hear what you're saying, but, you know, there's a chack-chack element to the equation. If you were a thug and you'd just broken into someone's house in the middle of the night, would you really want to rush some homeowner who was pointing a loaded dildo at you?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Will not own a long external extractor SIG. Nuff said. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I will not own an external extractor 1911. To me it just does not look right.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own external extractor Sig 1911's. They function great.

My firearms are not for show and tell. How they function, and their reliability is everything.

I've bought quite a few used. This spring I bought a G35 former police pistol, after following a thread here, and ordered a KKM .357 Sig barrel for it...which just arrived at my house today (and which I won't see for another couple of months...). The pistol is scratched and beaten up; it was someone's daily carry for who-knows-how-long. I went through it, changed the sights, replaced the springs, cleaned it, and it's good. I don't care that it's scratched. I don't care that its got a police logo on the side. I care that it functions.

I'd really hate to have a pretty firearm that didn't function when needed most. My only hope then might be to mesmerize the bad guy and sneak away, or grab an actual functioning firearm, or hope my functional but not pretty knives didn't let me down.

Looks are vanity. Function is life.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
It depends on the gun for me.

My Glocks are like a good reliable work truck. As long as it works, I dont care if its scratched up with honest wear.

If I were in the market for a nice 1911, I would want it to look and work good.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:

I hear what you're saying, but, you know, there's a chack-chack element to the equation. If you were a thug and you'd just broken into someone's house in the middle of the night, would you really want to rush some homeowner who was pointing a loaded dildo at you?

Haha, good one!

Notice I said guys though. If a lady was doing the brandishing, the situation might turn out differently Wink

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Im old enough to remember when gun makers actuslly tried to make their guns asthetically appealing as well as reliable and accurate.

And while those who constantly yammer about reliability being number one, are correct, life is too short to buy an ugly gun. And thats the reason all my guns were made prior to 2001. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Depends. Looks genuinely matter, but I also often have fairly low standards on judging aesthetics if I find some other aspect that clearly outweighs how pretty something looks. Conversely, if a gun is gorgeous but doesn't work worth a damn, then what's the point?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I consider a gun's aesthetics, but in a more of a form fits function kind of way. I want a gun that looks like it will do what it's supposed to do well, and that it is well made. If it looks like it has intentional cosmetic embellishments, it kind of turns me off.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
For instance: looks:

I did not like the original Ruger LCP. But really like the LCP II.

The Beretta 2000 looked like a wild, neat pistol, but holy moly, felt terrible gripping it.

To me , however, quality ranks after reliability.

Whoops, my bad, Beretta 9000, not 2000 (shotgun)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
There are so many options out there today that there is no reason to have an ugly gun. That's why I'd say it matters.

For example, if you don't like the looks of a Glock, buy a PPQ, M&P, XD, CZ P07, HK...etc.

If there was some unique gun that was ugly but had no equal, and it fit my needs perfectly, I'd buy it despite being ugly, but that'd be a rare bird.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my guns like I like my women:
Experienced.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
For me, functionality and ergonomics trump esthetics. That said, I'd sure like to have a Walther P5 compact to fondle and gaze upon…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I like to think mine is a sweet looking pistol, but hey, she has had some work done...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like pretty guns, sure. But an ugly gun starts looking downright gorgeous for some reason when I find out it just works.

The Beretta APX is a prime example. I was repulsed when I saw the first pictures. Then I handled and shot one and now I can't stop looking at them.

Posts: 23 | Registered: November 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I like to think mine is a sweet looking pistol, but hey, she has had some work done...

And the winner ! Ha !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post