SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Update, P365 range report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update, P365 range report Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a P365 a week ago and finally got to the range yesterday.

Initial impressions prior to shooting it:

- This gun is small yet feels good in the hand (I have XL hands with sausage fingers).
-The trigger is okay but feels a bit gritty.
-The fit and finish are on par with other sig pistols.

Range Time:

300 rounds total, 250 rounds of Federal target 115gr and 50 rounds of Speer GLDT 124 gr +P
-Range, 25 and 50 feet
-This pistol points naturally in my hands.
-This pistol is very accurate and shots to POA. On par with my full size sigs.
-Recoil is snappy yet very controlable. It was easy to get back on target.
-By the time I had 300 rounds through it the trigger smoothed out and feels excellent
-Shot with both the flush and ext. mags. I preferr the ext. mag. Better purchase on the grip.
- I had several failures to lock back the slide. This is definetely my fault and I was able to adjust my grip to eliminate it.
- I also had 2 FTE in the first 150 rounds. It was on the federal ammo and I belive it was due to my fat thumb riding the slide. The cassing was fully out of the chamber but stuck on the barrel hood. It appears that the slide didn't come back all the way.

Over all I'm very pleased with the feel, accuracy and performance of the pistol. It definetely takes some practice to shoot a pistol this small. Proper grip is critical. A few more range sessions and a few hundred more rounds with no failures and it will be good to go for EDC.

Happy Shooting All!

UPDATE:
Put anouther 150 rounds through the P365. 100 Federal target 115gr and 50 rounds of Speer GLDT 124 gr +P. My daughter shot half of it. She has 2 FTE (extract). The FTE's were on the federal ammo. So that is a total of 4 FTE in 400 rounds. I have inspected the ejector and it seems to be tight and holds a round in place when I shake the slide. Im wondering if this failure could be caused by limp wristing? She also had one light primer strike that went off after a second try. I spoke to sig customer service and they suggested sending it back and they would look at it. Because the failure rate is low, I think I should shoot it a bit more to rule out operator error. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MarkW,

Posts: 103 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you have larger hands you will love the 12rd mag. It changes the grip completely. You will fall completely in love with it.

Posts: 114 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the range report, and happy to hear that you are pleased with your P365 thus far!

Just curious about the type of ammo that you are planning use for the next ~300 prove-in/break-in session (SD/HP vs. FMJ).

Will you run a higher ratio of SD ammo to range ammo?

Thanks,

Rob

Posts: 3465 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the range report, and happy to hear that you are pleased with your P365 thus far!

Just curious about the type of ammo that you are planning use for the next ~300 prove-in/break-in session (SD/HP vs. FMJ).

Will you run a higher ratio of SD ammo to range ammo?

Thanks,

Rob

I plan to run at least 200 rounds of the speer GLDT 124gr +P. This will be my carry ammo. Then 100 plus rounds of various FMJ.

Again I believe practice with this pistol is critical because of it's size and the fact that I have to change my grip from what is normal for me with a larger pistols. As soon as I can find 12 round mags for this thing I'm going to get several.

When I do my part this pistol has no problem hitting 8" steel at 50 feet with double taps.

Posts: 103 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Great report.

I have been shooting nothing but 124 and 147 grain ammo in mine. I ran some 124 grain Federal AE in it, and the recoil was cut way down.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
FTE - extract or eject?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
FTE - extract or eject?

- I also had 2 FTE in the first 150 rounds. It was on the federal ammo and I belive it was due to my fat thumb riding the slide. The cassing was fully out of the chamber but stuck on the barrel hood. It appears that the slide didn't come back all the way. Failure to Fully eject.

posted Hide Post
UPDATE:
Put anouther 150 rounds through the P365. 100 Federal target 115gr and 50 rounds of Speer GLDT 124 gr +P. My daughter shot half of it. She has 2 FTE (extract). The FTE's were on the federal ammo. So that is a total of 4 FTE in 400 rounds. I have inspected the ejector and it seems to be tight and holds a round in place when I shake the slide. Im wondering if this failure could be caused by limp wristing? She also had one light primer strike that went off after a second try. I spoke to sig customer service and they suggested sending it back and they would look at it. Because the failure rate is low, I think I should shoot it a bit more to rule out operator error. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I put 300 rounds through mine a few days ago. Everything operated as advertised. No failures of any kind.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I also have about 300 rounds through my P365 with no issues, other than one round that was a very light load, and failed to cycle the slide. That was an ammo issue and no fault of the gun.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am at 750 rounds with no issues or wear. I think with the tiny size of this gun there will be more user failure issues than normal. I tried to "limp wrist" mine but it refused to give me trouble. If I grip the gun with my thumbs on the slide it will not lock back on the last round. I don't really care if the slide does or does not lock but I suspect that same action could possibly contribute to other feeding/extraction comments.

At this point I shoot this gun mostly offhand at 30' -75' with a firing rate of about two seconds per round with no failures of any kind.

Overall, I find this to be a very neat tidy package that has become my daily carry.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about a 365 for several months before I let my FFL expire; but didn't want to buy one until I could "scratch and sniff" an actual gun. Went into my LGS for some cleaning supplies and asked if they had 365, which they did. Knew I was in trouble then and like Comey, became a little nauseous at the prospect of paying retail for a gun for first time in 14 years!

Liked the trigger, although a long take up will take some getting used to, liked sights mag capacity and ability to take 12 rd mags

I was not thorough on a critical issue is, activating the mag release with thumb of shooting hand. My thumbs are long enough; but IMHO gun has a design flaw in that button is angled toward back of trigger guard, making it impossible for me to activate with my big paws!
ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE? Guess this issue could be easily solved by offering an "extended mag release" by enlarging it slightly, especially raising height on edge closest to rear of trigger guard? I've been shooting guns for nearly 50 years with mag releases in usual
"US" position, be it one of numerous Sigs, BHP, 1911, Beretta, etc. and this 365 is ONLY one!

I am somewhat ambidex and can shoot a pistol with either hand, so just for grins, tried using trigger finger of "weak" hand to activate mag release and was much easier doing it that way, so may have mag release reversed since that is an option? Hope Sig offers an option and can'believe Sig put it out like that?

Slide release very small and stiff; but shooting may well solve that. In a 2 hand hold the strong hand thumb rests on top of weak hand thumb, so this grip probably won't induce the slide issues?

Very good and thorough review on Guns.com on
365: but saw review day after I purchased!

You all are mentioning ammo and in 9mm and 40 I've been carrying Horn Critical Duty in full and compact sized guns; but need a fast burning powder load with low flash for both 365 and 9mm
Ruger LCR, critical for short barreled pistols!
Anyone considering this issue?

Hope I might be of some help on a couple of issues, my BladeTech IWB for my Kahr PM9 is a perfect fit for 365, so if you have a PM, you might want to try it. Mag carrier bigger issue as mag is unique and so new. Speaking of mags, guessing many of you might be having a hard time finding 12 rd mags? Recently learned of a mag source(to me) called gunmagwarehouse.com and bought a couple for $44 each, did I say I hate paying retail??? Was looking for Magpul Pmags in FDE and went to Magpul to find out why they couldn't be found? Turns out FDE has been discontinued. However, they are manufacturing a Gen3 mag for Marine contract called "medium coyote brown" similar to FDE; but a little darker. Magpul said Marines get preference on supply: but sometimes they produce a few extra that go to bigger players like GMW above. {ut my name on notification list and a few days later some became available, so I bought 12 for my
PMCX Virtis. Not just mags, GMW has other things as well: but did not have any 239 9mm mags.

Sorry for long winded post!

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mag release can be swapped to other side to facilitate using index finger

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks snw' but I did refer to that in my post@

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post