SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wet gear performance test
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wet gear performance test Login/Join 
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted
Last week, I was assigned to do hurricane Harvey flood rescues. as a result of this, I spend almost 36 hours wearing a duty belt that was submerged in flood water over and over again. During this period, I was carrying a gun I keep around entirely for these sorts of operations, namely and early Gen 3 Glock 19. The weapon and spare magazines were loaded with 124 +P 9mm Federal HST's. The water I was in was not salty, but was contaminated with a variety of substances I prefer not to spend too much time thinking about (think required tetanus shot and prophylactic antibiotics this week). Here is a summary of my observations from this:

1 The ammo held up well. After this, I assumed at lease some of it was compromised, so I stopped by the range and shot all of it out of a Beretta 92F this week. Every single one of the 46 rounds I was carrying fired exactly as designed, with no apparent loss of accuracy of velocity.

2. My TLR-1 still worked and was dry inside when I changed the batteries

3. The Glock had some very light surface rust on the slide, inside and out, the barrel looked like it sustained no damage, There was some brown stuff in the striker channel (I assume rust from the striker spring) and the sights had some light surface corrosion (Ameriglo Spartan operator sights). Other than that, it was in pretty good shape.

3. My Safariland 6280 (STX size 832) shows no effects. dried out overnight after I was finally able to get home, the hood functions fine, the suede didn't de-laminate and it doesn't even stink.

All of my clothes received a Viking funeral. My Waders were abandoned early on as they kept filling up due to excessive water depth

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Got any tips for those of us who might have to deal with something similar sometime in the future? Things that worked/didn't work? Helpful tricks?

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Got any tips for those of us who might have to deal with something similar sometime in the future? Things that worked/didn't work? Helpful tricks?

No, not really, it was alot easier to deal with once I embraced the suck and stopped trying to stay dry.

At least the water was relatively warm for the first two days. Once we got into lake water dumped out of dams upstream, the water cooled off considerably and it became possible to get quite cold.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this practical info, and thank you even more for your efforts.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
Great post.

I would suggest one thing. When working around water, add a lanyard to your duty rig.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Thank you for responding to our fellow countrymen and women in a time of desperate need! You, and others like you, are what makes this the greatest country on Earth. (I include all emergency responders and our military in that group.)

Hurricane Irma is looking to make more rescue and recovery work forthcoming.

Stay safe!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all you have done and for the report.

Can't say I'm surprise - you have solid equipment known for reliability under harsh conditions.

Stay safe!

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off thank you for all you did and have been through. Hope you haven't been effected personally by everything that's happened down there. We had a guy take a trip through a nasty canal here and his striker channel also came out pretty gross when we popped it open. Thanks for the gear report, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear about the ammo. Stay safe for the post disaster looting everyone seems so fond of.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you and be careful.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That was interesting car. God bless you for doing that work. And a great testament to Glock pistols, though I still don't like them. But, I should probably get one because I'd never want to put my sig or cz in the drink. What I'm even more impressed with is that your HST ammo didn't let any water in. That's impressive. I wonder if they seal their ammo ? I don't think all manufacturers do. I don't know if Federal does either with their exceptional HST line of cartridges. Great choice in both gun and ammo for your mission.

Take care and God Bless.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
First of all, a big Thank You for what you do.

I'd just like to add a comment about ammo:
I had a P225 magazine loaded with Hornady Critical Defence 115 gr. ammo go through the washer and dryer.
My wife found it in my pants pocket when she was folding them.
I took it to the range and every single cartridge fired without issue

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post