SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You need the SRT
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You need the SRT Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
I put it back in, was just an experiment, but was long before the P320 was around. However, there are lots of pistols sold without drop safeties, for example 70 series 1911s, CZ85. I do like the SRT in 3 of my Sigs, but my P6 is one of my favorite shooters.

I'm well aware there are lots of pistols without drop safeties. I'm not one of the folks who got overly excited about the issue, if you recall the pages and pages on that. I do find it puzzling that removing a safety feature from a pistol is considered, just for a better trigger. The only way this makes sense, is for range use. For defensive use, it would be foolish.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
I put it back in, was just an experiment, but was long before the P320 was around. However, there are lots of pistols sold without drop safeties, for example 70 series 1911s, CZ85. I do like the SRT in 3 of my Sigs, but my P6 is one of my favorite shooters.

I'm well aware there are lots of pistols without drop safeties. I'm not one of the folks who got overly excited about the issue, if you recall the pages and pages on that. I do find it puzzling that removing a safety feature from a pistol is considered, just for a better trigger. The only way this makes sense, is for range use. For defensive use, it would be foolish.

Agreed!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I carried SIGs for years before there was such a thing as SRT. Opinions vary, but I like the SRT and wish it had been standard, or at least available, years sooner. The long, rather indistinct, trigger reset on non SRT SIGs,and FN/Browning Hi Powers,is one of the few gripes I have with these guns. For me, the SRT eliminates the likelihood of short stroking the trigger when shooting rapidly under stress. I carried a revolver full time for years, so I understand allowing the trigger to go fully forward when shooting double action,etc. But with semi-autos,I guess I've been spoiled by using guns with very short trigger reset,e.g.,1911s, S&Ws, Glocks, etc. I liked the SRT so much that I sent my X-5 Allround to SIG to have the SRT installed back before they would sell the SRT kits. I have little doubt that some of the custom SIG trigger work is superior, but the SRT is pretty darn good IMHO for a relatively inexpensive parts kit that can be installed by the end user.

I don't honestly know if the SRT would hamper my shooting at 50 yards or more, since I rarely had occasion to shoot my traditional DA/SA SIGs beyond 25 yards. I did plink with my X-5 out to a hundred yards or so from the bench. I don't recall results were any different before or after the SRT was installed. But I am not the shot that some are, and I admit that I may not be proficient enough to utilize any advantage there might be in the non SRT trigger for longer range shots.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the srt in my 225. Everyone that shoots it loves it. I'm a believer.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
The SRT allows me to shoot my Sigs much faster under stress. I never realized the improvement in speed and accuracy they would have for me. Shooting a police qual on paper under time with turning targets really proved it to me.

How much faster and with which Model/caliber/ammo?

Which police qual? I’ve shot every qual I find printed online. No LEO qual I’ve ever seen requires you to be fast.

226 40, 220 in 45. 229 in 40.

Its a standard 50 round qual course ranging from 3-25 yds with turning targets on an FBI Q. The emphasis, of course, is hits in the bottle and not "tight" groups.

I focus on tight groups and notice an increase in speed with the SRT. Still not quite as fast as the Glocks for me but I am not on a stopwatch or timer either. It's not me against the target but me against myself.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I love the SRT in my P229. It was a huge improvement over the stock trigger, and allows me to shoot the gun faster. I still shoot the P320 better, though.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SRT is a welcome improvement to those who can benefit from it. Smile

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
May I ask why? I’m not trolling of looking to start interwebz arguments, but what specifically do you like about it? I have handled P-series guns both with and without it and I remain kind of blah about SIGs SRT.

I’m clearly in the minority. Most of the guys I know who have them swear by them. I’ve just never heard them articulate why but for the occasional “it’s faster”. In my experience it ain’t.

Did you actually use the gun with the SRT?

Just "handling" it, isn't going to illuminate the difference.

This struck me as particularly funny. HR, I think, has "used" a SIG 229 with the SRT. Big Grin

Not bombing anyones thread, but I'd venture a listen to his opinion on speed shooting, accuracy, and gun fighting with the P-Series SIG pistols. The million or so rounds per year that he watches go down range through them at the most stringent federal agency when it comes to speed shooting and gunfighting gives him a pretty fair assessment of the SRT. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is this Legion 226 9mm SRT is unbelievable. If I really practiced I could faster than lightening. Lol.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
The SRT is a welcome improvement to those who can benefit from it. Smile

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. I shoot faster with one. If you don't feel like you shoot better with it, don't spend the extra money. Easy peasy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this thread, it motivated me.

I got two SRT kits, the install into my P226 Combat and P226 AK was easy.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Its a standard 50 round qual course ranging from 3-25 yds with turning targets on an FBI Q. The emphasis, of course, is hits in the bottle and not "tight" groups.

I focus on tight groups and notice an increase in speed with the SRT. Still not quite as fast as the Glocks for me but I am not on a stopwatch or timer either. It's not me against the target but me against myself.[/QUOTE]

Forgot about this thread. Let me start by saying I’m not trying to be a douche. I like the SRT.
But it didn’t make you faster until it was faster on the clock.

Arc and the guy make some great post. This one struck me only because I see this issue all the time. Everyone wants/NEEDS the SRT!!

No you don’t.

I think Chris Orndorff has the best post in this thread, “The SRT is a welcome improvement to those who can benefit from it.”

It doesn’t make me more accurate. My ability to break a shot without screwing up depends entirely on my trigger control and sometimes what I had for breakfast

It’s not faster. I’ve shot a lot of guns with and without the SRT. I can shoot guns with it at .18 splits and I can shoot guns without it at .18 splits. All while making A zone hits out to 10ish yards. Again, breakfast and color socks come into play.

So why do I like it?? Beacause it’s a little easier to be consistent when I eat the wrong breakfast or wear the wrong socks....when I’m having a bad day.

I think we as shooters need to be careful of looking for tricks and gimmicks. Don’t get me wrong. If it makes you feel better, then get it. If you just want it, then get it. But don’t let that cloud you ability to see these tools for what they are... enhancements not fixes.

If you are a hobbist and shoot for fun then this doesn’t matter. If you’re serious then I think it does. Hunt out deficiencies in technique, learn, practice, repeat... buy tools that make this easier for you. DO NOT let the new tool fool you into thinking the problem was fixed.

If the SRT or anything else makes you immediately better it was some combination luck, good design or paying more attention to your process because you bought something new. But it didn’t fix the problem. It minimized it. It made it easier for me to lie to myself.

The opinion of one dude trying, slowly, to figure it out. YMMV

Posts: 204 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I really like having the reduced reset. It is much more rare for me to short-stroke or miss the reset with a short reset. I got an SRT in my P229 and appreciated the shorter reset, but did not care for the (subjective) change in the feel of the trigger. Off it went to the Volcano Base to remove the SRT, replace the original parts, and get a Grayguns reduced reset duty/carry action job. When it came back, the reset was short and (subjectively) the trigger felt much better, even better than it had originally.

HR is definitely right that it is a lot more about the Indian than it is about the arrow (at least I think that summarizes his point). This indian still has plenty more work to do, but having a nice trigger with a short reset helps make that work easier. Sadly, it also removes an excuse. Wink

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I LOVE the SRT. I was totally against it (for some dumb reason) until I tried it. Amazing upgrade. Wish they had made one for the original P225/P6.

Wish granted. Smile Call SIG and order one.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I focus on tight groups and notice an increase in speed with the SRT. Still not quite as fast as the Glocks for me but I am not on a stopwatch or timer either. It's not me against the target but me against myself.[/QUOTE]

Forgot about this thread. Let me start by saying I’m not trying to be a douche. I like the SRT.
But it didn’t make you faster until it was faster on the clock.

Arc and the guy make some great post. This one struck me only because I see this issue all the time. Everyone wants/NEEDS the SRT!!

No you don’t.

I think Chris Orndorff has the best post in this thread, “The SRT is a welcome improvement to those who can benefit from it.”

It doesn’t make me more accurate. My ability to break a shot without screwing up depends entirely on my trigger control and sometimes what I had for breakfast

It’s not faster. I’ve shot a lot of guns with and without the SRT. I can shoot guns with it at .18 splits and I can shoot guns without it at .18 splits. All while making A zone hits out to 10ish yards. Again, breakfast and color socks come into play.

So why do I like it?? Beacause it’s a little easier to be consistent when I eat the wrong breakfast or wear the wrong socks....when I’m having a bad day.

I think we as shooters need to be careful of looking for tricks and gimmicks. Don’t get me wrong. If it makes you feel better, then get it. If you just want it, then get it. But don’t let that cloud you ability to see these tools for what they are... enhancements not fixes.

If you are a hobbist and shoot for fun then this doesn’t matter. If you’re serious then I think it does. Hunt out deficiencies in technique, learn, practice, repeat... buy tools that make this easier for you. DO NOT let the new tool fool you into thinking the problem was fixed.

If the SRT or anything else makes you immediately better it was some combination luck, good design or paying more attention to your process because you bought something new. But it didn’t fix the problem. It minimized it. It made it easier for me to lie to myself.

The opinion of one dude trying, slowly, to figure it out. YMMV[/QUOTE]

THIS!!!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot "Bullseye" and it definitely makes a difference with the SRT. I have it installed in most of my Sigs.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post