SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 33 magazine fell apart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 33 magazine fell apart Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Was moving something out of the trunk of the car and heard something fall on the ground. Look down and it's black plastic pieces. Didn't recall seeing the box I was getting out of the trunk having any plastic on it.

Looked down for more details and noticed a spring, follower, pinky rest and another plastic piece. Reached for my pistol and the pinky rest was off. Drew the pistol, shook the rest of the rounds out of the magazine, dropped the shell of the magazine and cleared the chamber.

It was a Pearce +1 I carried in my G33 for years.

I do believe I will reassemble the mag, spray paint it and use it only as a range mag. Not worth trying to save $20 when a magazine failure would be catastrophic.

Posts: 13045 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen loaded glock magazines spring apart when dropped, before; hitting just the right angle, sharp rap in the right direction, and the baseplate can slide off. I've seen it with aftermarket baseplates.

I wouldn't be too quick to junk the mag; it's probably fine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pearce

There's your answer. The only time I've had problems with any of my Glock mags has been with Pearce plus base plate extensions.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, aftermarket extended capacity baseplates for Glocks are known to have a small chance of failure, especially if dropped, struck, or caught or something.

Check the mag body. It's probably fine, and if so, no need to shitcan the entire mag. Just reassemble with factory parts and continue to use it.

If you need some extra capacity or somewhere for your pinky to go, carry it with a factory G32 magazine with an X-Grip, or get a factory +2 baseplate.

(If you want to buy a whole new magazines, Glock offers factory 11 round magazines with the +2 baseplate already installed. MF08820 is the part number for the G33 version.)

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar but different experience. I opened up a filing cabinet drawer (no kids, so have firearms throughout the house) and saw 9mm rounds, a spring and plastic parts. Not sure the exact age or round count, but the plastic base plate on one of my USP compact mags had given up the ghost and the lip that keeps it in place had broken. Sure am glad that didn't happen when I needed the weapon.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:
Pearce

There's your answer. The only time I've had problems with any of my Glock mags has been with Pearce plus base plate extensions.

Make that +2. I sheared 2 Pearce basepads off my G19 mags during a formal training session. Switched to Taran Tactical and have never looked back.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I thought throwing a GLOCK magazine on the ground was SOP to remove the base plate. Razz

I did buy a GLOCK 'tool' which leverages the base plate off fairly easily. Those little nubs on the tube are a PITA.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the little locking teeth that are on each side of the bottom of the mag tube. They, and the corresponding notches on the floorplate can round out and wear the more you disassemble the mags which causes them to be easier and easier to pop off.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been dropping Glock magazines along with others on concrete for many years and never saw an issue like that with an All OEM Glock magazine.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post