SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I inherited my uncle Bill's Astra 600
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I inherited my uncle Bill's Astra 600 Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
My cousin called me up and asked was there any of Uncle Bill's guns I wanted.
I lit up like a Christmas tree! I want his ASTRA!
This was his actually carry/defense gun!
I remember him having it in every car he had since I was a boy.
It's LOUD, it has the worst trigger ever but it NEVER jams.

I've wanted one of these forever!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
It's LOUD . . .

No doubt in part to the straight blowback action combined with the 9mm Luger cartridge. Very cool indeed. Does it display any WW II German markings?

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
It's LOUD . . .

No doubt in part to the straight blowback action combined with the 9mm Luger cartridge. Very cool indeed. Does it display any WW II German markings?

No, not this one. But it's an early serial number of the second contract.
But it was used by the police, it does have the LBPN markings.
It has no import markings and it has the ORIGINAL holster and a spare mag.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Nice A600. I shot a coworkers A600 once and it was a lot of fun. Recoil wasn’t bad at all. I would love to snag an A400 someday.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
SC, based on the stamp, was that a West German variant (i.e., sold to West Germany)? Curious where you uncle picked his up.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very interesting pistol. I have seen one, but never seen one in action. Thanks for sharing the video.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
SC, based on the stamp, was that a West German variant (i.e., sold to West Germany)? Curious where you uncle picked his up.

Yes, but not actually sold to WG as they were already paid for and the invasion stopped them from being transported.
So after the war they were delivered for police use.

No telling where he picked it up.
As he was very, umm, frugal, I'm sure it was a bargain as no one wanted a 9mm much less an Astra. Big Grin

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The slide is glass smooth.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I bought one in 1965 at the Kitzingen (West Germany) Rod and Gun Club. Hand carried it and ammo to Vietnam in '65. Got more ammo in county from an Australian Army Engineer unit. Left it there. Wish I still had it.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these capable of firing more than one type of 9mm chambering? I'm thinking 9mm Largo, etc.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No the Astra m600's are 9MM luger omly. The model 400;s are chambered for 9MM largo, but will sometimes function with ,38 automatic ammo

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Astra 300 in 9mm Kurz that my father brought back from WWII, even has all the German Stamps and Waffenamp {?} on it. actually it's rather convenient in the caliber sense because 380ACP is the same as 9mm Kurz so I have all the reloading gear I need to make rounds for it.

It took me a bit to figure out how to Field Strip it but now understand that mystery file mark made by the manufacturer on the frame and slide, it's where the release point for the barrel is. Trigger indicates that WWII military folks were much stronger than us wimpy baby boomers, because the single action trigger break is at 11 lbs. per my Lyman Digital. One thing that is notable is just how well made these pistols are. The slide on mine is fitted just perfectly, moves smoothly but there is zero discernible wiggle at all. The grip angle is also a bit funky but if you take the time to line up those tiny little sights and squeeze that stiff trigger smoothly you will be rewarded with rather good accuracy.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Almost reminds me of a Tokararev at least in shape and size.

Was one inspired by/copied off of the other?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The design basics for this series of Astra pistols dates back to somewhere around 1918 as I recall it. Add in that the Spanish have a rather long history of making firearms leads me to believe if anything is a copy it's the Tokarev. Yeah, I know, the Spanish makers also have a history of making copies but in this case I suspect the Astra pre-dates the Tokarev by decades.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I bought one in 1965 at the Kitzingen (West Germany) Rod and Gun Club. Hand carried it and ammo to Vietnam in '65.
Left it there.

What made you decide to leave it there?

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I bought one in 1965 at the Kitzingen (West Germany) Rod and Gun Club. Hand carried it and ammo to Vietnam in '65.
Left it there.

What made you decide to leave it there?

He probably was barred from bringing it back to the states by Customs MP’s

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Almost reminds me of a Tokararev at least in shape and size.

Was one inspired by/copied off of the other?

Nope. (And I don't really see the resemblance...)

The Astra family predates the Tokarev by over a decade. And besides external differences, they are very different internally. The Tokarev is based on several Browning designs (1903/1911) and uses a short recoil, tilting barrel system. The Astra uses a simpler straight blowback system.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
He probably was barred from bringing it back to the states by Customs MP’s

Odd that he'd be allowed to bring it in, but not take it back out. Especially since it was his personal property, purchased legally on base in Germany.

Unless he smuggled it into Vietnam in the first place.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This inspired me to shoot mine. How is the trigger on yours? I think mine may have the worst trigger I have ever used.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine. The sights are....of the time, but the rest is fantastic. Trigger isn't 1911 incredible but my example is good. Very happy with it. Oh, I almost forgot. Tackdriver.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post