SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    There's just something about loading a single-action revolver.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There's just something about loading a single-action revolver. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
It gives me a little thrill. It makes me feel like a part of history, I guess.

It's not like the tediousness of loading an AR, Glock, or so many other double-stack mags. Those just get tiresome, especially without a loading tool. It's too much like work instead of fun.

Loading Garand enblocks seems to fall halfway between the two.

DA revolvers with a crane come somewhat close.

Slipping shells into a break-action shotgun comes even closer.

But for my money, there's nothing quite like opening the loading gate on a Peacemaker style pistol and thumbing rounds into the chambers, closing the loading gate, and if you're a purist and not a Ruger rube like me, cocking it and then de-cocking it on the empty chamber. Even though I don't have to, I still do the "load one, skip one, load four, cock it and decock it" method to build good habits for a part of my collection I intend to expand on.

Maybe it's just me, and it's not quite as applicable as I'm talking about .357 and .44 mag and he was talking about .45 Colt, but as a friend of mine put it "there's just something about dropping those big slugs into those chambers that feels absolutely primal." Big Grin

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Although I've never handled a SA revolver, I can tell you I enjoy shooting wheelies much more than bottom-feeders. A semi-auto is a tool; a wheelgun is a weapon.

And you're right...it all starts with loading. Slowly and thoughtfully. One round at a time. Almost in a meditative state. Speedloaders? Nah. Why would I deprive myself this visceral satisfaction?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There is something zen about the slowness and mechanics of both man and machine when you are a deliberate part of the action. Lever actions and break barrel air guns are similar sensations for me as well.

I enjoy shooting everything and shoot far more semi auto but there is almost a sensation of being along for the ride vs driving yourself.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Totally agree. I love my SA revolvers. I just added a 1851 black powder Colt Navy .36 caliber (reproduction of course) to my collection a couple weeks ago. I can’t wait to shoot that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge..you still need to run some specials through your .44 to appreciate what the 45 Colt shooters feel. That big gental round in a true Peace Maker revolver is the Beretta of wheel guns. The 45 Colt round has me forever enamored with the Model 25 S&W. Someday, it and money will meet head to head. OK primates, back to single actions.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Same here, it’s a completely different experience to load and handle one of my Colt Single Action Armies, or old Three Screw Rugers. The process of listening to the crisp clicks of the action, and sliding 5 big cartridges of .45 Colt, .44 Special or .44 Mag is just plain satisfying.

Loading my Ruger Flattop Bisley with heavy 255gr Buffalo Bore 44spl’s reminds me of how Elmer Keith must have felt when he loaded up his famous Number 5 SAA for a day out on the range.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
There is something zen about the slowness and mechanics of both man and machine when you are a deliberate part of the action. Lever actions and break barrel air guns are similar sensations for me as well.

I enjoy shooting everything and shoot far more semi auto but there is almost a sensation of being along for the ride vs driving yourself.

Amen...as much as I enjoy sending rounds down range in my Glocks and Browning (and I do)...but shooting my SA Ruger .45s brings me a great amount of satisfaction...even the Single Six Smile which many feel is a lot of work for a .22 (and it is also a Bisley Wink)...

Plus reloading for the .45 Colt is zen like in itself...it’s a simple cartridge to load, especially for a Ruger.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SAA came together on that rare plane of existence, where a man made utilitarian object transcends its purpose and becomes a tactile and visual piece of art. It's always been my favorite gun to load and shoot.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yes. It is a very....deliberate....action.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are a blast to shoot. I was finally able to get a Blackhawk and it is a fun gun.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Loading .44s in my JP Sauer and Sohn makes for an awesome day at the range.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Load one, skip one, load four. Cock the hammer fully, then lower it gently and ride on, cowboy.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
But for my money, there's nothing quite like opening the loading gate on a Peacemaker style pistol and thumbing rounds into the chambers, closing the loading gate, and if you're a purist and not a Ruger rube like me, cocking it and then de-cocking it on the empty chamber.

Is this a New Model? The "old model" (1953-73, if not "safety-converted") operated like the Colt.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s a New model with a transfer bar. I know it’s not necessary, but it’s part of the fun. Smile

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who feels this way. At the range, it’s just a whole different mindset than shooting my semi-autos. I’m not a mag dump kinda guy to begin with, but there’s just something very different, focusing, about shooting an SAA or clone. It’s just pure fun for me.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Slows time down just a little, doesn't it?

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I love my Blackhawk in .45 Colt/.45ACP. the ACP rounds in particular just plunk right in there, and I'll agree with your friend...it's really satisfying to feel those big slugs drop into the chamber. It doesn't hurt, either, that it has an excellent trigger and is supurbly accurate as well. Not to mention drop dead sexy with deep bluing and maple grips. It's even practical and versatile...reasonably cheap to shoot in ACP, and it makes a great woods gun with stout .45 Colt loads.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
C-O-L-T, the four clicks a good 1871 makes as you cock it.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Slows time down just a little, doesn't it?

It surely does, and I like that. I actually take my extra-sweet time at the range when I do. Handling and working the gun are about equally as enjoyable as shooting it, for me, at least. I can't say that about every firearm.

quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:

I've handled a few clones and a real Colt isn't in the budget, but some day, I fully intended to own at least a few different variants of clones. I've only owned a few Rugers, and well... the lockwork only clicks twice. Big Grin

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Probably too late, but heck, feel free to post pics if you want, folks. I probably ought to do the same. People love eye candy. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:

A friend of mine has a Pietta .357 5.5" single action. It's an exact replica of the Colts and it's a very very well put together gun with a really nice action and trigger. It's really surprising for what he paid for it several years back.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post