SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suggestions for carrying moon clips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for carrying moon clips Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Anyone have suggestions for carrying extra moon clips while carrying concealed? I've got a Ruger PG100 3" in 10mm that I've started carrying more and more recently. Usually carry extra loaded moon clips in a jacket or vest pocket. Problem is today, it's a little on the warm side for a vest or jacket.

Thanks in advance.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will they fit in a speed loader pouch for a .357?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Problem with using speed loaded pouches is that they sit deep down inside of them and it takes some digging to get them out.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
Check out Barranti Leather; Doc has a recent design that carries the loader split over the belt. He’s done a lot of good work for me and I recommend him highly.

https://barrantileather.com/sh...ducts/barranti-spare

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Del Fatti Holsters makes just the thing, though very pricey.
Sorry can't do the link on the phone.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

For the same gun, I have been using Simply Rugged's Full Moon Pouch. It does seem to be built around the longer.357, and I do recall calling him to discuss my needs and sent him a pic of a loaded 10mm clip. What I got is a pouch where the clip sits vertically, and the sides do come up above the rounds. But there is a deep U-shaped cutout in the front that allows you to easily snag a clip with your index finger in the cutout grasping the clip, and your thumb in the middle hole. Sounds funny describing but they come out right quickly.

I've looked all over and it does not seem anyone is making something just for this purpose. Plenty of competition moon clip carriers out there, but almost none for everyday belt carry. I would like to see a pouch that actually fits the 10mm moon clip, where it sits right up top, and a flap over that with a snap.

Here's of pic of what I'm using right now, from Simply Rugged:

Del Fatti is not taking any new orders right now, and is working off old orders from 2015, currently.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of these “Moon Pockets” on-order from Jeffrey Custom Leather. They appear to be tailor-made for concealed-carry. I’m looking forward to trying them out - will be carrying .45 ACP moon clips for a S&W 625 Mountain Gun from time to time.

http://jeffreycustomleather.co...uchsAccessories.html

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LMLarsen:
Check out Barranti Leather; Doc has a recent design that carries the loader split over the belt. He’s done a lot of good work for me and I recommend him highly.

https://barrantileather.com/sh...ducts/barranti-spare

I also have one of these on-order from Doc for a N-Frame .357 HKS speedloader. I’d emailed him about possibly using the Barranti Spare for moonclips - he told me that, while the pouch would indeed hold a moon clip, he couldn’t guarantee how well it would retain same.

My Barranti Spare should arrive soon and I can certainly put a .45 ACP moon clip in and try it out.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Carry two in the space of one.

http://4wheelguns.com/IDPA.html

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Jump on these FMC carriers while they're "In Stock" from Matt Del Fatti! Best thing out there if you want compact carriers for .45 ACP sized clips and ammo.

http://www.delfatti.com/In-Stock.html

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
My Jeffrey Custom Leather moonclip carriers are in and being worn / practiced with. They’ll head to the range soon with me; this far, they are working nicely. I like how they position the moonclip high.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
My Jeffrey Custom Leather moonclip carriers are in and being worn / practiced with.

How is the moon clip supported/attached? For example, in the third picture, what keeps the clip from falling straight down?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I should have posted the attached shot of the empty pouch. There is a Kydex shelf or insert on which one “hangs” the moonclip, if that makes sense. Two rounds slip behind that shelf, holding the whole moonclip there.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to give the Jeffrey Custom Leather moonclip pouches a try at the range - they worked quite well.