SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 9mm Exchange Kit Rear Sight HELP/Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 9mm Exchange Kit Rear Sight HELP/Question Login/Join 
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted
The exchange kit for my classic P229 came in today. I changed from 40 to 9mm. Gun shoots great and sights are just about right on. There is something strange going on though and maybe someone on here knows what it is.

The rear sight does not have a dovetail. So, no way to move it over or even remove it if I wanted to. I can't tell how it's even fastened to the slide. Anyone have a clue on what's going on here? Here's a pic from a cell phone:

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2407 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
Since my new X-Change Kit is with my P229 frame while it's getting a Cerakote job, I thought both the front and rear sights were dovetailed in. That looks like it's pressed in like older 1911 front sights.

It may be in a slight dovetail, one that is not as pronounced as others.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I think it's kind of sneaky on Sigs part to do this. The front sight is the normal dovetail but I guess I can't upgrade the sights without paying for mill work to be done on the slide.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2407 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its more than sneaky. I'd call and complain myself.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if this type of rear sight will become the Sig standard. Sure is a less costly install but isn't consumer friendly. It would limit us to using only this type of sight for future mods or repairs.

John

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Anybody out there know if these immovable sights are what Sig is going to use in the future or do you think I just got a bastardized slide?. I really don't want to call and get the run around.

Not too many comments on this thread.

John

posted Hide Post
I have never seen this before. And I consider it obnoxious on sig's part. But before I did too much about it I would call and make sure that it is in fact what they intended. S*** happens sometimes. I've bought a few exchange kits and none were like this. Personally if you bought it direct I would ask to return it for one with a dovetail.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
A Google image search of “229 XChange kit” shows a few just like yours.

Kinda jacked up...

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Dry firing tonight, I noticed my Mk25 has the same rear sight set-up.
(IIRC, it's not even a year old, DOB-wise).

I'll try and get pics posted in the AM.

It looks they aren't milling the "flare" on the sides of the dovetail, for lack of a better term.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
This sucks. I'm 73+ years old so I don't need to worry about swapping out my bastardized rear sight when the tritium dies. Looks like only sig will have replacement sights and who the hell knows how to change these mongrel sights?

John

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Bruce and Steve will be up at SIG next week, I'll see if they can get the low-down on what's up with the new rear sight configuration.

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
Dry firing tonight, I noticed my Mk25 has the same rear sight set-up.
(IIRC, it's not even a year old, DOB-wise).

I'll try and get pics posted in the AM.

It looks they aren't milling the "flare" on the sides of the dovetail, for lack of a better term.

Snake, I just watched the Sig promotional video for the MK25. You can clearly see that the gun in the video has the bastardized rear sight.

John

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Looks like a dovetail to me, just not as deeply cut?

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rear sight on mine is exactly the same. My front sight is dovetailed. Is this a cost saving measure on the part of Sig?
rmc

Posts: 13 | Registered: July 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motorheadjohn:
Really looks like that to me.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
So, can I nudge that rear sight just a bit? I'd like to try to move it but I can't see the dovetail under the sight. Maybe Snake will get some answers.

John

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Did the OP attempt to push the sight or does he really believe it’s not dovetailed as all P-Series slides are?

Who else actually thinks this, versus those who are just piling on for whatever reason?

I’m verklempt.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If that is a rear night sight, I'll bet Snake207s paycheck that it's really a smaller, shallower dovetail instead of the 'mongrel sight'.

Because I hardly thinking that machining a rear sight into the slide, then having it drilled and tritium vials inserted is 'cheaper' than just putting on a fracking rear night sight.

And I'm not gonna pull punches when SIG fracks it away (which they have made an all too common occurrence, I agree), but this 'mongrel sight' doesn't seem like it would save any money or time (if it's a night sight).

Anyway OP, if you can take a photo of the SIDE of the slide / sight, it will be easy to tell. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motorheadjohn:

Dovetail - yes.

Shallower, I think so too. It might explain why I have a "6" rear on a "8" front on a MK25.
(A particular combo I've never seen or heard of before - but that's not saying much LOL)