SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Sphinx generously paid shipping on my Sub and I'm awaiting the fix and return. I can't wait. Now that fall is approaching it will be much easier to conceal the Sub. I sold my P938 to get the Sphinx Sub and the only other pistols I have to carry are really not concealable in this weather in Tennnessee (P229 and a S&W Model 66). It's going to be a dream to get my sub back with the sights on target. I'll report once I get it back from warranty work. At least I get a little Sphinx fix in this thread in the mean time.

That was relatively quick. Sounds like Kris's took care of you well.

It was. Now just waiting to hear details and receive it returned repaired. Thank you for your help Prefontaine! Can't wait to drive tacks.

Just curious if you've gotten your Sphinx back 10X. Looking forward to hearing about it. Shot my duotone today and once again, really enjoyed it and continually amazed at how well made this gun is for $1100. I think Prefontaine found a source for night sights..waiting to let him discuss it once he hears back from them.

They've had it for about 3 weeks now. I'm a rather impatient fellow when it comes to waiting for highly cool firearms so I gave them a jingle yesterday to inquire. They told me they have production push going on and all hands are on deck for that production push including warranty workers. When that is done they'll get to it and return it Blah blah blah. It's only been three weeks but... I truly hope they get those sights right. If not I'll definitely shell out the cash for the adjustable sights listed somewhere in one of these Sphinx threads. All that disappointment and impatience aside, I want another (hoping of course the sights are right on the second). I've even contemplated tossing a trade offer out for one of my two German P229 non railed 9mm's (gasp). Probably says a lot about how much hope I hold for these pistols despite my anomaly. I'll definitely update as it goes along.

Are you serious? KRISS told you your warranty issue will have to wait vs production needs?

Serious as a heartattack.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
That's lame. I'd be raising hell.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sphinx generously paid shipping on my Sub and I'm awaiting the fix and return. I can't wait. Now that fall is approaching it will be much easier to conceal the Sub. I sold my P938 to get the Sphinx Sub and the only other pistols I have to carry are really not concealable in this weather in Tennnessee (P229 and a S&W Model 66). It's going to be a dream to get my sub back with the sights on target. I'll report once I get it back from warranty work. At least I get a little Sphinx fix in this thread in the mean time.

It was. Now just waiting to hear details and receive it returned repaired. Thank you for your help Prefontaine! Can't wait to drive tacks.

Just curious if you've gotten your Sphinx back 10X. Looking forward to hearing about it. Shot my duotone today and once again, really enjoyed it and continually amazed at how well made this gun is for $1100. I think Prefontaine found a source for night sights..waiting to let him discuss it once he hears back from them.

They've had it for about 3 weeks now. I'm a rather impatient fellow when it comes to waiting for highly cool firearms so I gave them a jingle yesterday to inquire. They told me they have production push going on and all hands are on deck for that production push including warranty workers. When that is done they'll get to it and return it Blah blah blah. It's only been three weeks but... I truly hope they get those sights right. If not I'll definitely shell out the cash for the adjustable sights listed somewhere in one of these Sphinx threads. All that disappointment and impatience aside, I want another (hoping of course the sights are right on the second). I've even contemplated tossing a trade offer out for one of my two German P229 non railed 9mm's (gasp). Probably says a lot about how much hope I hold for these pistols despite my anomaly. I'll definitely update as it goes along.

Are you serious? KRISS told you your warranty issue will have to wait vs production needs?

10X, please keep the forum posted as to anything that materializes concerning this. This is an important issue and I'm hopeful it will be addressed.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

10X, please keep the forum posted as to anything that materializes concerning this. This is an important issue and I'm hopeful it will be addressed.

I sure will.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Don put the subcompact review up.

http://youtu.be/kDQwfH7ybiA

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I love my Sphinx Compact and Subcompact, which had to go back to the factory for multiple issues, I believe the sub-compact is a bit of a problem child for them. I have not heard about issues with the Compact but have read IIRC 5 separate reports about Sub-compacts going back.

Mine runs 100% now I hope yours does too 10X when it returns. Maybe they are busy working on the Fullsized Alpha. LOL

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was one production run with the issues. My subcompact from February and my new one (same production run as sootch's), no such issues. Those out there in the field with issues have been that one production run. Then there are some other owners who haven't owned or don't understand a "tight" pistol. When go to a subcompact size you have to understand what a tight pistol is. Gonna be stiff when new, needs to be well lubed, and will need to be broken in. They have identified the production run, the issue with it, and hopefully we will never see it again.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It was one production run with the issues. My subcompact from February and my new one (same production run as sootch's), no such issues. Those out there in the field with issues have been that one production run. Then there are some other owners who haven't owned or don't understand a "tight" pistol. When go to a subcompact size you have to understand what a tight pistol is. Gonna be stiff when new, needs to be well lubed, and will need to be broken in. They have identified the production run, the issue with it, and hopefully we will never see it again.

I understand what you are saying but that is a lot of excuses and blaming the consumer for what is clearly a production issue. The subcompact is not any tighter than say a Les Baer or even the Compact so blaming the tight pistol is a cop out IMHO.

If they know the issue and what the problem is why not recall?

Don't get me wrong the issue I had with my Sub Compact did not taint my few of Sphinx to the point I am not chomping at the bit for a fullsized Alpha but I think people are giving them too much of a pass. They messed up and they know it and they are putting off repairs of guns with known defects so they can push out more metal. Seems like pretty poor customer service and support from a premium brand if you ask me.

For a gun that is supposed to be a piece of Swiss perfect the subcompact is falling a bit short. I would be interested in knowning how many guns are out there with issues that are part of that run which they have done nothing about. I know that they will never tell us but it would be interesting to know.

You seem to have some info was it early pistols or later Seems like info Sphinx sub-compact owners would like to know.

Mine went back and had the barrel, slide lock, guide rod and the pivot pin. They also replaced the rear sight for me which had a tooling mark. The customer service side was great. IIRC it was door to door with a call tag paid for by them in 15 days. So I am not bashing them I am just not overlooking their errors.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Me neither, just stating the facts. I'm not happy about these issues either, believe me. Making 10X wait is bullshit and I fired off an email to my contact for him. I'm just not throwing the baby out with the bath water because of a bad production run.

From what I know it wasn't the early ones as both Tundra and I have those. No issues but brilliance all the way around. My new one I just got, same thing. So in between is all I know. I'd call it growing pains for a small co. I think they are making changes to address everything currently.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me neither, just stating the facts. I'm not happy about these issues either, believe me. Making 10X wait is bullshit and I fired off an email to my contact for him. I'm just not throwing the baby out with the bath water because of a bad production run.

From what I know it wasn't the early ones as both Tundra and I have those. No issues but brilliance all the way around. My new one I just got, same thing. So in between is all I know. I'd call it growing pains for a small co. I think they are making changes to address everything currently.

Could you sum up what the issues were with this run? I'm still working on breaking in my sub. I've had 4 Stovepipes in the first 200 rounds but I recognize this could come from a few different reasons. Just wanted to know what to be looking for.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1837 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
This is just what I have gathered from reading different forums. The ones with issues all had the barrels replaced. One of the owners who had their barrel replaced would be the ones you want to chime in.

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
I can't say for sure, but I believe the tolerances in the chamber were loosened just a tiny bit to accommodate more types of ammo reliably. The ones that have been sent back, and the new ones. My subcompact did not like Corbon 115 jhp. I had some laying around and found out real quick it didn't like to chamber the round. Me personally, no big deal. I wasn't going to send the gun back because it didn't like this brand or type ammo. It ate everything else that I had, which was basically Underwood 124gn +P+ and Winchester Ranger 127gn +P+ ammo for self defense along with 115gn and 124gn FMJ practice ammo. This was good quality stuff, no cheap steel cased crap. Speer Lawman, CCI Brass, Fiocchi, Sellier & Bellot, Prvi Partizan, some PMC Bronze, and American Eagle. No issues with any of that. I suspect there might have been more brands out there that the gun just didn't like because of tolerances. I just didn't have them so it was never an issue and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

The Compact Duotone all stainless was a little different story. This thing was even tighter than the subcompact,....as tight as any $3K-5K custom 1911 I've ever owned. I just had happened to picked up the PMC Bronze to break it in. I had several failure to cycle because of the tightness and the weaker PMC 115gn ammo. It settled down around 150 rounds and no issues since.

Do I think it's a fault with the gun because it might not like a certain brand of ammo or profile of bullet? Of course not. Have a recall? Seriously? We're not talking safety or parts breakage rendering a gun useless. Have a recall because it don't like a certain brand or type of bullet? I promise you there are quite a few guns on the market that if you run enough different types and brands of ammo through them, you'll find something they don't like. Sometimes we see it here on the boards.

I believe there have been a few posts on other forums with the same issues as mentioned here...I don't doubt it. It's certainly the exception and not the rule. I just believe it's now been taken care of and it won't be an issue going forward. I might also mention that to my knowledge, once the problem was brought to KRISS's attention, it was a one time trip to them with everything taken care of. Also note not everyone needed to send their gun back. Early, middle or new production.

You can look on youtube....look at every video posted about these guns, there are many, and I've yet to find anyone complaining about a jam or cycling problem. Take your pick of a pro reviewer or some guy who just wanted to post a video of his new Sphinx. There might be one, but I've yet to see it. All you hear about is accuracy, tightness, trigger pull, and most importantly, build quality....no MIM...all metal parts are forged or machined from billet. Find me another similar style gun anywhere near this price range that gives you all these guns do. I don't know of any.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
*Update* - I was contacted by a person a little higher up the food chain at Kriss who monitors the forum a few days ago. He made inquiries for me and was sensitive to my experience. I have a tracking number and expect the pistol Monday. I'll laser bore sight before I hit the range and post the results. Thanks again to Prefontaine and to the gentleman who contacted me from Kriss. I'm so giddy I've already loaded up mags in anticipation.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Excellent 10X, excellent. I hope it's up to your satisfaction.

I'll be doing a torture test on my new subcompact this weekend.

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if there is a dealer in the PDX area that has stock on hand? They sound like great pistols but I sure would like to hold one in person.

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
This might help:

http://www.sphinxarms.com/inde...p&option=com_locator

I'm No Quitter
posted Hide Post
quote:
This might help:

http://www.sphinxarms.com/inde...p&option=com_locator

Currently ---I don't have any In Stock Now -- but I do have a "Waiting List" (Orders Already sent in) for the Duotone Compacts and the Standard "Black" Non Alpha models.

I am currently ordering Sub-Compact Alphas --- Compact Alphas -- Grey Wolf Compacts --- almost Every Week for new customers!

I have called and ASKED Kriss/SPHINX -- to ADD me to the site that shows Direct Dealers Listed.
So far - they have NOT updated the list to show My Name --- to that List.

And So .... I will be waiting patiently... Frown

Bummer.

Donna

Posts: 4083 | Location: Lauderdale , Mississippi | Registered: June 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am chomping at the bit to pick up a Duotone and a Alpha Standard.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I was able to continue my break-in of my Subcompact this weekend with great results. 250 rounds of various FMJ and HP rounds from Fiocchi, Hornady and Winchester. It really seemed to like the 147 g Winchester Train and Defend. Not a single failure and I enjoyed ringing an 8" gong at 20 yards over and over. Fun! I am much happier and getting close to moving this into the carry rotation.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1837 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
No gong for me, but an 8 inch paper plate doesn't stand a chance at 75 feet with range or SD ammo in my Subcompact.

I have to wait to reel the target back in in place of your ringing immediate feedback.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post