SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artoffence:
Wowza! That's got some juice on it. How's the gold dot hold up to that kind of velocity in testing? Might have to get a box or three for myself.

It's the bonded version of the Gold Dot, so it holds up extremely well, almost total retention.
Here is an good video of various ammo velocity testing, some real good loads, to include Underwood 124 JHP Gold Dot +P+, which all went over 1300 fps with the testing, and very consistent. That's getting mighty close to Speer Gold Dot 125gn JHP 357 Sig ammo....basically within a few fps. In fairness, Speer downloaded the original 357 Sig Gold Dot ammo from 1450 fps to 1350 fps many years ago, shortly after introduction. The original stuff, which I have a good stock of, is much hotter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3rcjYzb-fQ

Another test video with the Underwood ammo and gel testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcrsOyAa0gY

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I can't watch the videos right this moment, but the quality of the ammo sounds very promising. Thanks for this great tip-off Tundra. It's a shame Speer downloaded that 357 Sig option considering -hot- is the whole point.

Psalm 144:1

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by rhart:

I had the same experience shooting my SDP and my P-07 side-by-side. My P-07 has the CGW short reset and lighter springs along with the oversized roller, but the SDP is nicer IMHO. I have not put the CGW hammer in the P-07 yet though. SDP is much easier to shoot and is softer shooting to boot - due I believe to the built-in buffer and the undercut trigger for a higher grip.

The thing that gets me, is if you let CGW or CZ's pro shop fuck with it and get it right....after you've paid for the gun, paid one or the other for the short reset and trigger work, you are basically at the price of a Sphinx and don't have as good as a handgun. Didn't make much sense to me and I put my P09 up for sale immediately.

I found out about Sphinx and found this thread...I was looking for a EDC with a similar manual of arms to my Sigs (all DA/SA) and my new Shadow Custom that is my intended USPSA competition gun. Only thing is that the IWB holster I like (Stealthgear) doesn't list Sphinx as of yet, I currently carry an H&K P2000SK. That said I would love to get my hands on a Subcompact for an EDC - I'll have to give SG a call to see if they have any plans to make a holster for it. If they do get around to making one, or if the MS holster is good, I may end up selling my H&K and getting the Sphinx.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: March 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, my SDP Compact just arrived... Ordered from Donna (Mississippi Gal) last Friday, and it's here today (Mon)...
What a Woman, been buying from her for many years... and always a total pleasure to deal with!!
Will clean and lube it... and out to the range tomorrow. Looking forward to how she shoots. Will do a Range Report tomorrow.

A couple of SIGs and some others...

Posts: 979 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Watch out dude, they multiply quickly after a range visit.

Happy shooting Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pre... heading out to the range shortly...
BTW: Ordered a holster for my new SDP and just received one from Kriss (Safariland-STX Tactical Paddle)...
Gonna run an ad in Classifieds and see if any new owners need one and want to switch/trade for a mag.

A couple of SIGs and some others...

Posts: 979 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Well I been "lusting" for a BLACK with the aluminum grip since I first read this thread. Looking but not finding one, and after handling them at the NRA Meeting in Nashville, I bumped my goal slightly and found a relatively good deal on the Sphinx SDP Sand. The fit and finish is unreal and this has the best SA trigger of any of my semi-auto pistols. Have a little consulting work today so won't be able to get to the range till tomorrow. Will post results then.
Just what I need another "addiction"Smile

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Nice thom. I said they were addicting.
I let my gunsmith fondle and play. He was quite impressed Big Grin

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
My next range trip will be my real CCW test--- how it performs with hollow points.

My Subcompact has been running like a dream with Blaser ball ammo, but I have fired only 1 hollow point through it to see if it fed that, and it did.

So next range trip I take a bunch of Winchester Ranger T-Series and make sure they all run perfectly.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Should be fine. I've fired several hundred rounds of critical duty 135gr +p and Fed HST 124gr +p through all 3 of mine without a single hiccup.

Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post

STOP IT........ before I have to post a pic here too.

Wink

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I like that color, Thom. If I get a second one, I want it in Sand or Krypton. I think I prefer the Sand.

quote:
Originally posted by thomjb:
Well I been "lusting" for a BLACK with the aluminum grip since I first read this thread. Looking but not finding one, and after handling them at the NRA Meeting in Nashville, I bumped my goal slightly and found a relatively good deal on the Sphinx SDP Sand. The fit and finish is unreal and this has the best SA trigger of any of my semi-auto pistols. Have a little consulting work today so won't be able to get to the range till tomorrow. Will post results then.
Just what I need another "addiction"Smile

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
I looked at both and choose the Sand, I have a lot of FDE firearms and this one just blends inSmile
I was amazed by the detail on the grip front...

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
thomjb, the machine work on that front strap is awesome. I too have been patiently waiting for the all black with full aluminum lower. I keep hearing it's going to be soon. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics and looking forward to your range report.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
My next range trip will be my real CCW test--- how it performs with hollow points.

My Subcompact has been running like a dream with Blaser ball ammo, but I have fired only 1 hollow point through it to see if it fed that, and it did.

So next range trip I take a bunch of Winchester Ranger T-Series and make sure they all run perfectly.

MP

I ran a box of Winchester Ranger 127 gn JHP +P+ through my subcompact without any issues. That is my carry ammo in it, but as soon as I can get back out, I'm going to run a box of Underwood 124gn JHP Gold Dot Bonded +P+ though it as well. I'm stocking up on that ammo now as it's up around 1300 fps and I'm a firm believer in high velocity high performance rounds.

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
...I'm going to run a box of Underwood 124gn JHP Gold Dot Bonded +P+ though it as well. I'm stocking up on that ammo now as it's up around 1300 fps and I'm a firm believer in high velocity high performance rounds.

Damn, that's 465 ft.-lb. of muzzle energy; too hot for my girly wrists in a Sub. I stop at +P.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Just found some of the Underwood and ordered a bit of it. The Win 127g +P+ is my normal carry round also.
Will let you know when the Underwood arrives and I make a range visit.
Thnaks Tundra

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomjb:
Just found some of the Underwood and ordered a bit of it. The Win 127g +P+ is my normal carry round also.
Will let you know when the Underwood arrives and I make a range visit.
Thnaks Tundra

Underwood makes some fantastic ammo. Very consistent, and it reminds me of the original nickel case Triton ammo. They got my business now. I think you'll like it. Check out reports on their ammo on youtube. I particularly like the 357 Sig reviews with the 125 gn Gold Dot JHP. Serious 357 Magnum level performance.

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
...I'm going to run a box of Underwood 124gn JHP Gold Dot Bonded +P+ though it as well. I'm stocking up on that ammo now as it's up around 1300 fps and I'm a firm believer in high velocity high performance rounds.

Damn, that's 465 ft.-lb. of muzzle energy; too hot for my girly wrists in a Sub. I stop at +P.

MP

I've shot it through the Smith & Wesson Shield I got recently in a trade and it's my carry round in it. Not bad at all, but yes, you do indeed know it's not a regular 9mm round. Wink

Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Just back from a couple of hours at the range.
Great day and low stress. Well the new Sphinx Sand shoots just as bad as the other ones I have. One hole if I do my part at 10 yards all day long.

I did try it in some holsters and found it is an almost perfect fit for a KT Mech Kydex holser for the Sig P320 Compact.

The Sphinx Sub Compact also fit in this very well. YMMV

Have a good evening all!

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member