SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
Picture of testfire
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the thread drift, but what is the make of the axe in 10X's picture?

Posts: 386 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: May 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
It's a RMJ Tactical Jenny Wren. Made by Ryan Johnson in Chattanooga TN. They run over $400. Differentially hardened 4140. Grips are made by VZ Grips. Super light and super sharp.
http://www.rmjtactical.com/jen...pected-release-june/

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm No Quitter
posted Hide Post
My Dream Pistol (one Day!)

Don't really want the TB But Love The Grey Wolfe Finish!
Donna

Posts: 4083 | Location: Lauderdale , Mississippi | Registered: June 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just called ZR TS about their fiber optic front sight. Right now you can see them on their site, www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/sh...er-optic-front-sight.
In order to order them since they are out of stock, you must email them at, info@zrtacticalsolutions.com. Tell them what you want your and information. They say that they should have a batch out in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
Ok what's the story on this. I think I am late to the party sounds like the subcompact has had some issues in the past and maybe some financial troubles for the company. But I must admit I am tempted to pick up a LNIB don't think it was fired Subcompact for $750. Need some help making the decision. I am worried that not being the original owner if it has problems if it could ever be fixed. Should I do it?

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the Sphinx handguns. They really are built extremely well, and if you can find the time to read this thread, you'll have a real good idea at the end.

That subcompact you're interested in is the size of a Sig P239 yet carries 14 rounds of 9mm. It was my first Sphinx.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that at least some of the new product that's now out is now U.S.-made, right?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
Ok what's the story on this. I think I am late to the party sounds like the subcompact has had some issues in the past and maybe some financial troubles for the company. But I must admit I am tempted to pick up a LNIB don't think it was fired Subcompact for $750. Need some help making the decision. I am worried that not being the original owner if it has problems if it could ever be fixed. Should I do it?

The previous problems with the SDP Subcompacts were chambers that were too tight, and hang-ups when not firing +P ammunition. It is my understanding that these problems have been corrected.

Regarding financial trouble, I have heard varying stories about this. One of the common themes is that Sphinx/Kriss management is so poor, that it's impossible to find out any concrete info about whats going on with the company. Literally almost no one at the company seems to understand whats going on, leaving their distributors totally in the dark. My understanding is that Sphinx hit financial troubles, and Kriss is in the process of bringing the tooling/machining to the USA. Subcompacts are no longer being made/imported from Switzerland. They are supposedly only going to be available from the USA, and last I checked (about a month or two ago) very few USA guns had been shipped yet.

Another confusing thing is that apparently similar to when Sig moved production to Exeter, there are conflicting reports from Kriss staff regarding what guns are US made / vs. Swiss made. Supposedly all US made guns will not have 'Switerzland' on the slide, yet guns have been shipped with SKU's listed as USA made, but still have swiss markings...

One sample I saw had swiss markings, but the SKU was for a USA made gun, the finish looked pretty crappy, lots of tooling marks on the outside and inside of the gun, not at all up to everything else I've seen in the SDP line.

What I can tell you is that the SDP subcompact I own (knock on wood) has been reliable thus far, accurate. It's probably my favorite semi auto for carry. Reason - every other gun, no matter what it is, seems to match the size/weight/reliability/capacity equation when compared to a Glock 19. With a 13 round capacity and the small size, the SDP Subcompact is the first semi auto that (besides weight) has an equal equation. It holds less rounds, but it's also smaller, has a better trigger, is sexier, better sights, better ergo's than the Glock 19.

The biggest downside is lack of pre-made holster options, which, if you get a custom kydex holster made, or if you prefer leather (rgrizzle) is a non issue.

I might wrong - but I have a feeling that swiss made sdp subcompacts will be highly sought after years from now. I suppose it all depends on how good the USA made guns end up, assuming they materialize.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
Then there is the lack of night sights, which I bitch about endlessly.

Sphnx/Kriss had showcased their H.A.L.O. tritium sights, but it turned out to be a vapor product in the USA.

There is a workaround if you want to go through a custom shop install.

I just keep bitching in hopes that Sphinx/Kriss might come through, but they probably are beyond being shamed.

The pistol is great, the company is miserable.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
Then there is the lack of night sights, which I bitch about endlessly.

Sphnx/Kriss had showcased their H.A.L.O. tritium sights, but it turned out to be a vapor product in the USA.

There is a workaround if you want to go through a custom shop install.

I just keep bitching in hopes that Sphinx/Kriss might come through, but they probably are beyond being shamed.

The pistol is great, the company is miserable.

MP

I second that and concur wholeheartedly. Now that I installed adjustable sight (non-night sights) and have it shooting on target, I carry it regularly. I fear I'll never see parts available. Love the pistol, less so the company.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
Any way to tell from the serial number how early of production it is?

I pulled the trigger so to speak. Cabelas has it I paid to have it shipped to my local store they said they would sale it for $725 if I want it. The guy on the phone said the slide release was beyond tight is that a red flag that it might have issues?

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
Any way to tell from the serial number how early of production it is?

I pulled the trigger so to speak. Cabelas has it I paid to have it shipped to my local store they said they would sale it for $725 if I want it. The guy on the phone said the slide release was beyond tight is that a red flag that it might have issues?

No, the fit and finish is very tight on the guns. Similar design to a CZ, but much tighter. It will break-in a bit, but that is the magic of the sphinx. Not wobble, no rattles. People love to use the term 'like a bank vault' when talking about pistols. I've never seen another pistol (including semi custom 1911's like Wilson etc.) that actually feels more 'bank vault' tight than a Sphinx sdp compact/subcompact.

As long as it's reliable, you will love it. And if it isn't, Kriss sucks, but they will fix it.

It's an arguably better shooting, better fit and finish gun that holds 13 in the mag, and is a bit smaller than a P239.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
The slide release should be tight at first. Even the P938 has a tight slide release. In no way is a tight slide release a predictor of an issue. Not an expert but that has been my understanding. The only two issues I recall, one from personal experience, is that the sights were not right in that the pistol was not hitting even close to where the fixed sights showed. Kriss tried but did not fix my issue. The other problem was some tight chambers. My chamber appears to be fine. My sight issue was resolved by me with installation of a set of Novak adjustable sights. Then there is the issue of lack of night sight options. I'd love to see Kriss take the company and run it top notch and get all the wrinkles ironed out with the SDP Sub.

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I went over the edge and had Cabelas ship a compact version so I will have the choice between the subcompact and the compact. If I get real stupid maybe I will get both of them.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Rock on. Let us know how it shoots and your thoughts.

posted Hide Post
Next month will be one year waiting for my compact duotone.
Sigh.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Next month will be one year waiting for my compact duotone.
Sigh.

Sorry to hear of your wait, but it doesn't surprise me as Sphinx/Kriss is acting like Sphinx/Kriss.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and did it. I will not get a chance take them to the range until this weekend. I must say the trigger is fantastic and the overall quality seems to be very impressive.

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Congrats. Cool

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
Ok I finally had a chance for the range today. I can honestly say these are some of the best pistols I have ever had. Both performed very nice. The Subcompact had one failure to extract but I think thats more ammo related than anything else. I have never like Winchester white box.

Here is my first two magazine with the compact. The subcompact was almost the same results.