SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
My range report on my Compact DuoTone

The pistol functioned flawlessly although I only put 100 rounds of ball through it today. I find the controls and slide significantly easier to manipulate than the Subcompact, which makes sense. Recoil was a nothing, and muzzle flip was extremely moderate (if the oxymoron "extremely moderate" is allowed).

I did two things that probably affected my accuracy with the pistol. I had exchanged the medium grip for the "small", and then felt it did not fit my hand nearly as well when at the range. Also, I had just received a new slide stop from Springfield to solve a "lock back on empty" issue that I was having with a customized 1911. I shot this competition pistol first; just a total of 10 mags with two rounds each to test lock back. When I picked up the Sphinx, I was already accustomed to the Springer's Dawson FO sight and competition trigger.

I shot the Spinx OK, but not nearly as well as I know I can, so I stopped at 100 rounds until I put the medium grips back on, and then shoot it without transitioning from the custom 1911. Hopefully, I will be able to do this tomorrow.

It is a very impressive pistol. Too heavy for me to carry, but I knew that going in, and that is what my Subcompact is for.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If it isn't going to be a carry gun slap that large grip on. My carry compact has the medium but my HD has the large. I like the large the best.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Sphinx generously paid shipping on my Sub and I'm awaiting the fix and return. I can't wait. Now that fall is approaching it will be much easier to conceal the Sub. I sold my P938 to get the Sphinx Sub and the only other pistols I have to carry are really not concealable in this weather in Tennnessee (P229 and a S&W Model 66). It's going to be a dream to get my sub back with the sights on target. I'll report once I get it back from warranty work. At least I get a little Sphinx fix in this thread in the mean time.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Sphinx generously paid shipping on my Sub and I'm awaiting the fix and return. I can't wait. Now that fall is approaching it will be much easier to conceal the Sub. I sold my P938 to get the Sphinx Sub and the only other pistols I have to carry are really not concealable in this weather in Tennnessee (P229 and a S&W Model 66). It's going to be a dream to get my sub back with the sights on target. I'll report once I get it back from warranty work. At least I get a little Sphinx fix in this thread in the mean time.

That was relatively quick. Sounds like Kris's took care of you well.

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

It was. Now just waiting to hear details and receive it returned repaired. Thank you for your help Prefontaine! Can't wait to drive tacks.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
DuoTone Compact -- more comprehensive range report

I took Prefontaine's advice and put the large grips on, and the pistol felt perfect in my hand at the range; thank you Prefontaine.

I had 1 FTExtract within the initial 30 rounds, but that doesn't concern me, as this pistol is still extremely tight. Shooting at 7 and then 10 yards was almost boring, so I took the paper plate targets out to 50 feet. I was able to group well at that distance with the sights returning to target quite naturally. I did both precision and one round/second shooting today totaling 150 rounds,

I found the trigger break varying slightly when precision shooting. I am being very critical as I am an ex-competitive bull's-eye shooter and accustomed to custom triggers. I believe the slight variation will go away with some additional rounds smoothing everything out. Something that I did not pay attention to yesterday was trigger reset. I did today, and it is terrific. It is fairly short and extremely positive. There is no question when it resets, and you can shoot consecutive rounds without coming off of the trigger and avoid slapping it. Of course this adds to practical accuracy.

The mags seat very solidly and also completely release with a push on the release button. I had no mag related issues at all, and the mags load easily with fingers or an Uplula.

I really like FO front sights on a non-carry pistol, and with Kriss not having any solid information of when their HALO sights will be imported, I will probably look to install a modified Dawson front sight. I have a pistolsmith who is quite good, so I'll see if he can modify an existing sight to match Sphinx's mount and avoid the need to cut a dovetail into the gun. Even with the stock sights and the slightly varying trigger I was mainly at 5 inches at 50 feet with a few hits out an inch or so, and this included some fairly rapid shooting. With use, I'm sure I can do substantially better.

If anyone has a FO front sight solution, please let me know.

MP

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MusProd,

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The holdup with the Halo Defiance NS is the NRC. I'm tired of the government in so many ways.

Mus, with any of these pistols on this platform, they need 1k rounds, or close to it. They are built so tight with such quality forged parts the entire gun needs some trigger time to break everything in. They are are not custom guns but they aren't typical production guns either. Somewhere in the middle leaning well towards the custom level. 500-600 it gets damn good then at 1k, she is running like the rails ride on glass and the trigger becomes the standard for what you want in a DA/SA SD platform. They do need a minute though.

When I break one in I run it as fast as I can with a stack of loaded mags. High powered stuff helps too. They are like good wine man and get so much better with time. I think you will love it.

Since you are an ex competitive shooter I'm sure you'll be getting a production gun when they are available and give us a range report.

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
Pre, I agree with your entire post.

I'm keeping X5 Black & White and P210 Legend Target, but I sold one P239 today, but will probably keep my other one. The rest of my SIGs are in question.

MP

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I just got another one. Got 500 rounds ready for it tomorrow or next Saturday.

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine,....you're a fuckin showoff! (damn,...I've heard that from somewhere) Cool

You guys are really killin me. I've got the duotone and subcompact, yet I feel I'm way behind here, and I'm the one that started the thread. I plan on rectifying that when the Standard comes out.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
Prefontaine,....you're a fuckin showoff! (damn,...I've heard that from somewhere) Cool

Hmmm. I seem to recall your post of : Smile

MP Smile

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
quote:

Hmmm. I seem to recall your post of : Smile

MP Smile

True...it is one to be proud of...as you now know. Big Grin

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Prefontaine....that's a whole lot of TMI..... Razz

Well the forum Gods deleted the photo so it's irrelevant now. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prefontaine,

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:

You guys are really killin me. I've got the duotone and subcompact, yet I feel I'm way behind here, and I'm the one that started the thread. I plan on rectifying that when the Standard comes out.

Big Grin

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
Do we have any release dates for the Standard or Production?

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrtuna:
Do we have any release dates for the Standard or Production?

I hate to say October, but that's the last word I heard on the Standard, and even that is unofficial. I'll just be happy if it's released before the end of the year. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. There are a whole lot of folks waiting patiently for it. The Production,....I don't have a clue. I'd hope sometime soon as that will be the crown jewel in my Sphinx collection. I want the manual safety option, and it will be very close to equaling the 3000. Wish I had more info to share.

posted Hide Post
2017?

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was. Now just waiting to hear details and receive it returned repaired. Thank you for your help Prefontaine! Can't wait to drive tacks.

Just curious if you've gotten your Sphinx back 10X. Looking forward to hearing about it. Shot my duotone today and once again, really enjoyed it and continually amazed at how well made this gun is for $1100. I think Prefontaine found a source for night sights..waiting to let him discuss it once he hears back from them.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just curious if you've gotten your Sphinx back 10X. Looking forward to hearing about it. Shot my duotone today and once again, really enjoyed it and continually amazed at how well made this gun is for $1100. I think Prefontaine found a source for night sights..waiting to let him discuss it once he hears back from them.

They've had it for about 3 weeks now. I'm a rather impatient fellow when it comes to waiting for highly cool firearms so I gave them a jingle yesterday to inquire. They told me they have production push going on and all hands are on deck for that production push including warranty workers. When that is done they'll get to it and return it Blah blah blah. It's only been three weeks but... I truly hope they get those sights right. If not I'll definitely shell out the cash for the adjustable sights listed somewhere in one of these Sphinx threads. All that disappointment and impatience aside, I want another (hoping of course the sights are right on the second). I've even contemplated tossing a trade offer out for one of my two German P229 non railed 9mm's (gasp). Probably says a lot about how much hope I hold for these pistols despite my anomaly. I'll definitely update as it goes along.

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They've had it for about 3 weeks now. I'm a rather impatient fellow when it comes to waiting for highly cool firearms so I gave them a jingle yesterday to inquire. They told me they have production push going on and all hands are on deck for that production push including warranty workers. When that is done they'll get to it and return it Blah blah blah. It's only been three weeks but... I truly hope they get those sights right. If not I'll definitely shell out the cash for the adjustable sights listed somewhere in one of these Sphinx threads. All that disappointment and impatience aside, I want another (hoping of course the sights are right on the second). I've even contemplated tossing a trade offer out for one of my two German P229 non railed 9mm's (gasp). Probably says a lot about how much hope I hold for these pistols despite my anomaly. I'll definitely update as it goes along.

Are you serious? KRISS told you your warranty issue will have to wait vs production needs?