SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Did you get yours locally? If so , where?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
If you're asking me WARPIG... No, I didn't get it locally. I got it from Prepper Gun Shop (North Dakota), they were running a Valentine's Day Special for $799. I think they're back up to $829 now. They were great to deal with, shipped it out next day. They've also got the Compact for $849, which is tempting.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
If you're asking me WARPIG... No, I didn't get it locally. I got it from Prepper Gun Shop (North Dakota), they were running a Valentine's Day Special for $799. I think they're back up to $829 now. They were great to deal with, shipped it out next day. They've also got the Compact for $849, which is tempting.

Holy crap do they have a terrible website. Nearly impossible to navigate on the mobile device.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
Shooting the compact is what really woke me up to this gun. Getting great groups was pretty much effortless. I don't anticipate this Subcompact disappointing me. I know yours didn't disappoint you.

Tundra, curious if you've had the opportunity to shoot this next to a CZ P-07? If so I'd love to hear your thoughts.....I really REALLY like the P-07, and from what I understand the Sphinx line is a CZ clone, albeit a high-end one. Anyway, curious your thoughts.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:
quote:
Shooting the compact is what really woke me up to this gun. Getting great groups was pretty much effortless. I don't anticipate this Subcompact disappointing me. I know yours didn't disappoint you.

Tundra, curious if you've had the opportunity to shoot this next to a CZ P-07? If so I'd love to hear your thoughts.....I really REALLY like the P-07, and from what I understand the Sphinx line is a CZ clone, albeit a high-end one. Anyway, curious your thoughts.

I have not had the opportunity to shoot the P-07. There are a few tests comparing the two on youtube if memory serves me correct. From what I've heard, the Sphinx has a little better trigger, but really shines in the accuracy department. Every test I saw on this gun you could see the testers eyes light up and they would comment just how accurate the gun was, and how easy it was to get that accuracy.

Prefontaine just bought a P-09 and he has both the SDP Compact and Subcompact. I think he might be able to better comment on the difference he saw. Maybe he'll chime in soon.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
There is no comparison between the CZ P07/P09 and the Sphinx SDP's. I bought a P09 to use as a trainer/range gun for the Sphinx. The full size or SDP Standard isn't out yet and my plan was to buy a P07 along with the purchased P09 instead of buying duplicate or spare Sphinx SDP's since they are much cheaper in cost.

Shooting the P09 back to back with a SDP compact, there is just no comparison. The P09 has more muzzle flip (for me at least), and while the Omega trigger is good it just doesn't compare to the Sphinx. The SDP's trigger, reset, everything, far superior to me.

During shooting you can really feel the difference when the slide cycles. The full length rails on the SDP are so smooth and slick they make the CZ feel crude. Was incrementally more effort to shoot the CZ in comparison. It took a better grip, more focus, while the SDP is effortless and gives much room for stance or grip error. The SDP also produces much tighter groups than the CZ can achieve.

On its' own the CZ is a fine weapon, especially for the cost. Compared to the SDP it's really unfair. The SDP is a hand fitted weapon made of premium parts with full length rails. The one video we found doing a comparison made them sound much closer together. My opinion is they are much further apart. I immediately put the P09 up for sale and ordered another SDP compact.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I guess I am becoming jaded as I get older as fewer new guns seem to interest me lately. But this Sphinx is pressing my buttons and getting my attention...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Dammit tundra, I was talking myself out of my insatiable attraction to the Sphinx (especially since the other models all have rails) but now I'm going to have to lay my hands on one of these. So the grips are plastic and the top part of the lower reciever is aluminum, correct?

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Dammit tundra, I was talking myself out of my insatiable attraction to the Sphinx (especially since the other models all have rails) but now I'm going to have to lay my hands on one of these. So the grips are plastic and the top part of the lower reciever is aluminum, correct?

I'm sorry,...I haven't been this into a new gun in ages. Smile I promise you, you shoot this thing, I would be shocked if you didn't like it and weren't impressed with the straight out of the box match trigger and accuracy. The link I list below will help you understand what is what, but Yes, the Subcompact and Alpha line have the polymer grip with the aluminum upper frame. The Black line, Krypton line, and Sand line have the aluminum grip, which is what I'm going to buy next, but damn it, I sure like that duotone. One of the two is next. A few other lines are there too. Here is the link....just click on "Products" at the top of the page once you get there.

http://www.sphinxarms.com/

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The standard/full size is number 3 on my list currently.

Sig 220 10mm
Remington 700 build
Sphinx

Though the Sphinx may slide into the number two spot once I get a feel for the ergos.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification. Nice photos and coverage btw.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Tundra, if you don't mind my asking, could you tell me where you picked up your Sphinx? Was it a LGS?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
How hard does it look to swap to night sights? From the pictures, it looks like the front one is just bolted on and the rear has some set screws and can probably be drifted out easily. Does this sound about right?

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
How hard does it look to swap to night sights? From the pictures, it looks like the front one is just bolted on and the rear has some set screws and can probably be drifted out easily. Does this sound about right?

Yes. Waiting on Defiance. They have sets already made with a combo tritium/fiber combo ready to go if the U.S. gubmint will get off their ass and give approval. That's all we are waiting on.

http://www.defiance-ops.com/in...cle&id=90&Itemid=335

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Yep, those are the ones I was looking at. Prepper Guns or whatever it is called had some compacts with the sights already installed. It was the first I had seen of them, but it looks like you can't order them that way anymore. I want a subcompact anyway.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
Yep, those are the ones I was looking at. Prepper Guns or whatever it is called had some compacts with the sights already installed. It was the first I had seen of them, but it looks like you can't order them that way anymore. I want a subcompact anyway.

Yes sir. Kriss did one run with them already installed, and I don't think they were the alpha line. They were one of the more expensive and heavier options. That's what Kriss told me at least but you pretty much confirmed it.

Out of mine I do like the subcompact just a bit more. They did a fine job getting it right. The capacity and how well it shoots is phenom for the size, to me. It's a nice small subcompact with just enough grip to get that last finger on. If holsters were out for it I would have bought a duplicate of it first.

Sights shouldn't be too much longer I'm told. We'll see.

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
There is no comparison between the CZ P07/P09 and the Sphinx SDP's. I bought a P09 to use as a trainer/range gun for the Sphinx. The full size or SDP Standard isn't out yet and my plan was to buy a P07 along with the purchased P09 instead of buying duplicate or spare Sphinx SDP's since they are much cheaper in cost.

Shooting the P09 back to back with a SDP compact, there is just no comparison. The P09 has more muzzle flip (for me at least), and while the Omega trigger is good it just doesn't compare to the Sphinx. The SDP's trigger, reset, everything, far superior to me.

During shooting you can really feel the difference when the slide cycles. The full length rails on the SDP are so smooth and slick they make the CZ feel crude. Was incrementally more effort to shoot the CZ in comparison. It took a better grip, more focus, while the SDP is effortless and gives much room for stance or grip error. The SDP also produces much tighter groups than the CZ can achieve.

On its' own the CZ is a fine weapon, especially for the cost. Compared to the SDP it's really unfair. The SDP is a hand fitted weapon made of premium parts with full length rails. The one video we found doing a comparison made them sound much closer together. My opinion is they are much further apart. I immediately put the P09 up for sale and ordered another SDP compact.

Thanks! This is what I was looking for. I do really like the P-07, but been itching for another "high end" pistol for a while. I figured if they were that close I'd skip the Sphinx, but it sounds like it's worth the investment.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
Tundra, if you don't mind my asking, could you tell me where you picked up your Sphinx? Was it a LGS?

Mine was bought through Buds on the internet. Easy transaction.

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks, I saw that there were a few authorized dealers in my area, but I have never heard of or dealt with many of them before.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks, I saw that there were a few authorized dealers in my area, but I have never heard of or dealt with many of them before.

The good thing with that is at least you could go and get your hands on one and check it out. I think I would give them a call just to make sure they had one in stock.