SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 26...obsolete?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26...obsolete? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So I have been contemplating another CCW Pistol. I have been looking at the Sig P365 so I can have a second one, another Glock 43, or a Glock 43X. Then someone suggested I look at the Glock 26. With the current state of CCW and the new guns that are out, who out there has any experience with these and are they obsolete or is this still a viable / good CCW choice? In CA I can still get one (Gen 3) without having to get an LE Only purchase - but Am willing to do the LE buy if the Gen 5 is worth it.

I carry AIWB so I like the idea of the shorter grip, but I’m worried about it being so chunky. Does anyone still choose the G26 over the slimmer models?

Thanks all for your input.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I ditched my G26 in favor of the P365. But then I never really warmed up to the Baby Glocks. I much prefer the mid-size and full-size Glocks. Heck, I even preferred the S&W M&P9c 1.0 to the G26.

The P365 has the same capacity (10), and same realistic reload capacity (12/15), in a noticeably smaller and much slimmer package that can even be pocket carried. The grip is more comfortable for me. And it has a better trigger to boot.

The P365 is better in every way, IMO. (Other than aftermarket support, I guess... There's no competing with Glocks for that.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
I find the 26 a very accurate Glock with a decent trigger. Have an optic on mine that is quick on target and lets the gun reach out. My Glock 43's trigger is so gritty and heavy it impedes accuracy, not a useful option for me. 26 is a bit clunky but is so all around useful I accept it sort of like a wife of 20+ years who may have gained 10 pounds since she was a bride but is still a keeper.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Obsolete? Big Grin

Umm, no.

Ultra-reliable and very shootable, with 9 gazillion parts and accessories available, and capable of holding a 33 round factory magazine. If the G26 is obsolete, all pistols should be obsolete.

As a matter of fact, if I were forced to choose one pistol only to do everything for personal defense, I'd probably choose the G26. In its size class, no self-loading pistol is more reliable and that includes the P365.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Personally I think near terminal. I'd rather carry a G43x or the P365/XL because of the improved grips.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Terminal? As in near death?

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see you live in SOCAL. Anyway, if you are a resident of the few fortunate counties that allow CCW, then congratulations! I have a G26 on my CCW and I like to carry it. However, in SOCAL, CCW is quite rare. The G26 would most likely be carried in a IWB holster. That means that when you go to the head in a store, you will need to make sure you use the stall. The snowflakes here will call the PD on you in a second if the weapon is seen. The G26 has 10 round mags. I carry an extra 10 round when I carry the 26. It is a little heavy compared to a more modern gun. The P365 is not on the roster and would have to be purchased private seller. This will be very expensive. Probably double the cost of the gun at retail. My IA does not allow any modification of the weapon outside of grips or so. No trigger jobs are allowed. Even modification of the slide with writing or fancy milling would probably be rejected. Otherwise, my G26 is very reliable and I carry it when I am in Arizona. Personally, I carry a P938 in a Sneaky Pete in CA. With the Sneaky Pete, I can at least use the urinal without a snowflake starting to cry.
Lineman101

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've also been thinking about the G26. While I've shot the P365 (great shooter) and the G43x (pretty good shooter) I keep thinking about the G26.
Plus, I haven't bought a glock since the early 90's so my Gen2 17 mags would have double purpose.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Obsolete?

As long as the Glock 34/17/19 are being used as main carry or duty weapons, I cannot ever see the Glock 26 being obsolete. Inside the shirt, SOB, ankle or glove box, it excels if you are carrying the 34/19/19.

As a primary carry weapon, possibly for me. If I am going to go that wide and bulky, I will just carry my Glock 19. Since the 48 and the Shield S15 mags, even my Glock 19 gets left in the safe more often than not.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Glock 26 is far from obsolete. 5 years of owning and shooting without a failure of any kind. I use Pearce +2 extensions on the 10 round magazines. I load them with 11 rounds and with one in the chamber there are a dozen ready to go. I carry 1 or 2 15 round mags with the grip adapters as backup. I generally carry OWB but sometimes I carry in the front right pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. It is probably my most carried pistol.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Obsolete? Big Grin

Umm, no.

Ultra-reliable and very shootable, with 9 gazillion parts and accessories available, and capable of holding a 33 round factory magazine. If the G26 is obsolete, all pistols should be obsolete.

As a matter of fact, if I were forced to choose one pistol only to do everything for personal defense, I'd probably choose the G26. In its size class, no self-loading pistol is more reliable and that includes the P365.

100% agreement; versatile firearm that remains an excellent CCW choice.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 796 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of stock at Buds, both 10 and 15 shot versions.
Lots of folks buying this obsolete pistol.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta go with Para on this one. Sure there are smaller 9's, some hold a couple more rounds, some might have a better feeling grip, or you might find a more accurate compact 9, BUT when you put it all together there is no other pistol that combines all of those things better than a G26.
Notice i didn't put reliability in the list above. That's because you just will not find a more reliable gun the size of the G26. You just won't. I have personally put tens of thousands of rounds thru probably a dozen G26's over the years and never 1 hang up.
So add it all up, not sure what it means but it sure cannot mean obsolete !!

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Last month I went backpacking in South Dakota with my brother. I could only really take one gun, because I didn't want to carry two in the trail, and I wasn't going to leave one in the car at the trailhead unattended for days.

Of everything I own, I chose to take the G26. It's light, very shootable, decent capacity and can take a 17 round mag as a reload. It's impervious to the elements, and I'm 100% confident in it's reliability. Not obsolete by a long shot.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
What I really want is a Glock 26 MOS. They're hyper-accurate for their size and would be fantastic with a red dot.

Also would love to see a Glock 26X. I don't love the pinky extensions but I do like the short slide.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The g26 is my primary carry gun and I doubt I will ever change or go away from that for something else.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Terminator
posted Hide Post
Although I like and appreciate the newer offering, I’ll never let my 26 go. For some reason, I Shoot that model better than any other pistol I have or have ever had. Weird I know, but it is what it is.

Posts: 641 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Have a Gen 4 19 and a 43x. Would gladly trade my 43x for a 26 - shoulda bought it in the beginning.

As for comparison to the 365 and it’s capacity, let’s see the 365 carry 33 rounds of 9mm and then we’ll talk. Until then the 26 is still the one “near perfect.”

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife switched her EDC gun to the Glock 26 back in 2006, its been on her daily since then, 100% of the waking time, year round.

For me, my EDC is now a MR918 - replaced my 19s. The only Glock that I still own - a Glock 26 with a custom grip reduction and stippling job that fit me perfectly. Its funny - cause I've never liked the 26 due to the grip hump, but now its the only Glock that I own.

No the Glock 26 is not obsolete in our home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My G26('s) aren't outdated and given that Glock keeps releasing the G26 with each generation, I suspect it will be around a bit longer. The G26 is a perfect companion to any other double stack 9mm glock and runs the same magazines. It rides just fine in an ankle holster. I've pocket carried the G26, G27, or G33 many times (though the G43 was a great improvement in that respect).

Obsolete? Not by a long shot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post