SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 26...obsolete?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26...obsolete? Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I think it's the opposite. Glock doesn't use full length frame rails, so the barrel lockup only contacts frame rails at four small locations. On a pistol with a longer barrel, there is more space in between frame rail sections, so if there are the same tolerance dimensions in every Glock, the deviation from POA POI will be greater the longer the barrel\slide is. Shorter barrel\slide, smaller potential deviation every time the slide cycles.

quote:
Originally posted by White Phosphorus:
Perhaps it doesn't matter too much how long the barrel is? That would explain the accuracy of the 26.
V.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I think it's the opposite. Glock doesn't use full length frame rails, so the barrel lockup only contacts frame rails at four small locations. On a pistol with a longer barrel, there is more space in between frame rail sections, so if there are the same tolerance dimensions in every Glock, the deviation from POA POI will be greater the longer the barrel\slide is. Shorter barrel\slide, smaller potential deviation every time the slide cycles.

That's a good point.

Still, the gist of the article was that you really don't gain any advantages, accuracy wise, from larger/longer pistols.

I would think you'd get SOMETHING from a longer slide and barrel but it didn't show up in the testing. Maybe less muzzle flip due to greater mass but there didn't seem to be much difference in terms of accuracy.

I always remembered the article since I never could get a noticeable difference in performance from any of the 9mm pistols I've tested. They didm't perform well in a Ransom Rest due to frame flex.

V,

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I know 2 people who just recently ditched their G43 and P-365 and went back to the G26 after shooting all 3 side by side by side.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Except that the barrel doesn't contact the frame at all, save for the lug, and not at all on the rails.

The only place that consistency matters is not in the cycling of the slide, but in the forward in-battery position, where the shot is actually fired.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Except that the barrel doesn't contact the frame at all, save for the lug, and not at all on the rails.

The only place that consistency matters is not in the cycling of the slide, but in the forward in-battery position, where the shot is actually fired.

You are correct on the barrel lock up except when the barrel is fully locked in the slide there is a slight upward pressure on the slide, and that exerts force against the rails. The way you do a quick and dirty test for a poorly fitted barrel is to push down on the back of the hood. If you get any vertical movement, the barrel isn't fitted properly. If you take normal manufacturing tolerances into consideration, the longer the barrel\slide is, the greater the movement can be even if the tolerances are in spec.

When my USGI 1911 locks up, there is play in the slide, but not in the hood area, and the pistol has military grade accuracy. I shake my wrist, and gun actually rattles. When my target 1911 is in battery, there is no movement what so ever, and I get target grade accuracy. When I shake the gun I hear nothing. I don't know what the tolerance is in a Glock, but I can safely assume that a 1\32" of movement results in more muzzle deviation on a 5" barrel than it does on a 3" barrel.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are correct on the barrel lock up except when the barrel is fully locked in the slide there is a slight upward pressure on the slide, and that exerts force against the rails. The way you do a quick and dirty test for a poorly fitted barrel is to push down on the back of the hood. If you get any vertical movement, the barrel isn't fitted properly. If you take normal manufacturing tolerances into consideration, the longer the barrel\slide is, the greater the movement can be even if the tolerances are in spec.

When my USGI 1911 locks up, there is play in the slide, but not in the hood area, and the pistol has military grade accuracy. I shake my wrist, and gun actually rattles. When my target 1911 is in battery, there is no movement what so ever, and I get target grade accuracy. When I shake the gun I hear nothing. I don't know what the tolerance is in a Glock, but I can safely assume that a 1\32" of movement results in more muzzle deviation on a 5" barrel than it does on a 3" barrel.

When pressing down on the barrel hood of your 1911, you're checking the play in the barrel link, not fit to the slide, and nothing to do with the rails.

Four rails for travel on the Glock have nothing to do with accuracy, only insofar as the barrel returns to the same place every time when in battery. By the time the slide moves on the rails, the bullet is gone and accuracy is unaffected. What counts is where the barrel is at lockup and in battery.

The 1911 is quite different from the Glock.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

When pressing down on the barrel hood of your 1911, you're checking the play in the barrel link, not fit to the slide, and nothing to do with the rails.

Four rails for travel on the Glock have nothing to do with accuracy, only insofar as the barrel returns to the same place every time when in battery. By the time the slide moves on the rails, the bullet is gone and accuracy is unaffected. What counts is where the barrel is at lockup and in battery.

The 1911 is quite different from the Glock.

Put a looser gun in a ransom rest and you'll get a bigger group. It's just that simple. It's an issue of tolerance stacking, nothing more.

posted Hide Post
I’ve explored the Nano, PPS, PPS M2, G43, and P365. I like the convenience of their small-of-back carry. And I’m generally fascinated with the challenge of making things smaller.

I still have the last three because I can make them work to my satisfaction.

But, if the choice came down to any one of them and my Gen4 G26, the latter would win. Three things make this so: real choice in capacity while still being concealable; a firing pin that strikes a fraction slower than the micros, and, thus, more directly and, thus, with a smaller chance of breakage; and a grip that fits my largish hand.

Not obsolete here.

--------------
Don't put me in fear for my life.

Posts: 255 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Put a looser gun in a ransom rest and you'll get a bigger group. It's just that simple. It's an issue of tolerance stacking, nothing more.

You'll have to be a bit more specific. You're drifting topics and bringing things into the discussion that are irrelevant: what your barrel link does on your 1911 has nothing to do with the accuracy of a Glock.

What exactly is being "stacked" on a larger Glock that isn't being "stacked" on a G26, that intrinsically makes the G26 more accurate?

Your comments are grasping at straws; when asked about the G26, you inferred it has something to do with pressing the barrel hood like your 1911; this isn't relevant. Do you think that by seeing play when pushing down on the barrel hood of a Glock, it means the same thing?

Define "looser."

posted Hide Post
The G26 is a rite of passage for Glock owners.
Got to be in the top 5 G's of all time.

Posts: 113 | Location: N.E.Ohio | Registered: August 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have never owned one but it definitely has its merits

mag compatibility being a big one

i just cant get over the '2 finger hold' and grip size

and once you 'size up' the mag -- you really are basically carrying a shorter barrelled G19

but its a great gun and works for a lot of people

huge fan of the 'do all' G19

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I personally sold mine and its one of the only Glocks I dont really have a use for. But that just my personal opinion.

I can pocket carry my G43, but the 26 is too big. If its going on my belt, the difference in concealability with the G19 is negligable, so I may as well carry it. If I want to be slimmer I have the G48.

Nothing wrong with the G26, it just wasnt for me. I wouldnt say its obsolete, plenty of people I know still love it

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its not obsolete, however there are plenty of options around today that were not available when the G26 was released.

It's probable they are taking sales from the G26, and not just from outside, the G43X,G43, G48 all probably pull sales from what would have been G26 sales for people that don't already have a G26.

Its still a great option, but I agree with LordV, I'm more likely to grab the G43 with the 15 round mag than a G26, I just like the fit better.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Its still a great option, but I agree with LordV, I'm more likely to grab the G43 with the 15 round mag than a G26, I just like the fit better.
I'd bet a large sum of cash money that the G26 using factory mags- in any of its versions- is far more reliable than a G48 (which must be what you meant) with an aftermarket magazine.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yeah I typed G43 but meant G43X, and the G48 certainly falls into that realm....

So far the 43X it's worked well with the 15 rounder mag that I bought with a bit of range time no failures. It also works well with the stock 10 round glock mags.

The reliability of the G26 is absolutely solid, its been around for a long time, same Glock platform mechanics, proven reliability ...

I do think the G43X is getting there, doesn't have the history of the G26 but it has the bloodlines of the family.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I do think the G43X is getting there...
No with aftermarket magazines, it won't. You'll see. Just wait until shooters get lazy and let those "extra-power" springs become fatigued, and then it'll be misfeed city.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I havent used any after market mags in my G48 yet, I am fine with the 10 rounds. If I want more Ill carry the G19.

Although I am late to the party now, and am starting to carry .45 more. The 30s is a great pistol.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No with aftermarket magazines, it won't. You'll see. Just wait until shooters get lazy and let those "extra-power" springs become fatigued, and then it'll be misfeed city.

I'm meaning G43X, with 10 round stock mags to G26, not saying it replaces its position or that it will knock it into obsolescence, but it's probably the biggest competitor to the G26 at the sales counter.

Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post
Short grip frame of G26 conceals MUCH easier than the new "skinny" pistols that have longer grip frames.
G26 iwb with G19 mag as backup... never obsolete.

Also, the current crop of thin guns might carry a bit more comfortably, but if I ever need a gun for self defense... My G26 shoots like a full sized gun! I've done side by side comparisons of G26 against P365, drawing from under concealment garment and putting 1 shot on 1st target, two shots on 2nd target, at speed (with shot timer).
For me, the results were much tighter groups and faster times with the G26.
Thin might carry a bit better, but if my life is on the line, I'll take the chubby/stubby G26!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TikritTourist,

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
NOPE Not to me.
The Glock 26 is still King of the Hill in subcompact. I sold off my 43 quickly it never measured up to the 26 IMHO. I gave up on single stack 9mm glocks in any configuration. I wanted to like them but found them lacking in comparison.

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post