SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 26...obsolete?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26...obsolete? Login/Join 
Picture of Kashew
posted Hide Post
The 1911 got replaced the Garand got replaced the M14 got replaced the M92 got replaced. Your Iphone gets replaced. None of them are obsolete. Technology advances things get improved. A 9mm carry gun used to hold 8 rounds in a single stack magazine and weigh 2 lbs. I had them all. Sig built a better mouse trap PERIOD. Glock has been playing catch up ever since thus the G43X and G48. Sig is pushing Glock to rethink what a small pistol is capable of. I think that is FANTASTIC we all benefit from the competition

Posts: 30 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: November 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're so busy babbling that you can't even understand what I'm saying to you. Cease and desist. You had a chance to state your case logically and instead, you come up with "this got replaced by that, got replaced by that".

The question of the thread is whether or not the G26 is obsolete. Well, it is not. The pistol has now moved into its fourth iteration after a couple of decades of continuous production.

Take your precious 365 and your non sequitur comments to some other thread.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kashew
posted Hide Post
They have been making 1911's for over a hundred years, a lot of folks still own them not many still carry them

Posts: 30 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: November 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Whatever. You either cannot follow what I am saying to you or you are simply ignoring what I am saying to you. Find another thread to post in. I'm not asking.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
For all practical purposes the G48 is the same size as a G19. The same thing happens when you compare the G43 and G26. There are people who are going to make a huge arguement over .16", but unless that small of a dimension prevents you from concealing the pistol I'd call it a wash. The G43 is actually taller than the G26. Some people just had to have a single stack Glock, and they're the ones buying them.

quote:
Originally posted by Kashew:
Obsolete? No. Are there better choices? Absolutely, Glock makes two themselves, the G43 and the G48. YMMV It took me a while but I have settled on the P365.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For anyone with a sufficient attention span, please take a look at this thread. My experience with my G43 is the same as with my G42. I have experienced no such issues with any of my three G26 pistols.

See, things aren't always cut-and-dried, so when peope start talking about how the slimline pistols obsoleted the G26, they need to broaden their perspective. Read that thread and you'll see. The issue is not the pistols themselves, but rather, the pistol/shooter interface, and only actual experience revealed the issue.

I do carry my G42 in an ankle holster, but it was necessary for me to remove the tab on the slide release lever. The pistol still locks open on an empty magazine but the slide lock functions in the same manner as the Walther PP series or SIG-Sauer P230/232 series pistols. The same holds true for my G43 and if I were to purchase a G48, I'd experience the very same issue of premature slide lock and I would have to apply the same imperfect fix.

The G26 OTOH, has never giving me any such grief. "Obsolete" or "superceded" my ass.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kashew:
They have been making 1911's for over a hundred years, a lot of folks still own them not many still carry them

Para has already told you the time of day; it's his site, and you should be aware that he's giving you far more latitude than he might normally give. Take the hint.

As it's out there, the 1911 has been the foundation for a LOT of handguns, and continues to be produced in various iterations by numerous manufacturers, to this day. It's still widely carried. I just left a shop after looking at several Wilsons; these aren't inexpensive firearms, but are highly evolved from where the 1911 was when John Browning developed it. Wilson's web site lists them as sold out. Go figure.

Glock offers the G26 in a Gen 5. One of the first pistols they offered in a Gen 5, after several other models.

I own the G43, G43X, and G48. I've carried my G43 extensively, and frankly, it is an outstanding pocket pistol. Likewise, the G43X and G48 are excellent pistols, especially for their cost. None of them, however, make the G26 obsolete.

One might choose to own a G43X instead of a G26, just as one could choose any other Glock, instead. Not everyone buys the same model. If one carries a G19 inside the waistband, neither the G43, G43X, or G48 will take the Glock 19 magazine. The G26 will.

By itself, the G26 is a very well designed handgun. Personally, it's hard for me to find any fault with it. Most of those whom I know, who own a G26, will keep it long after most of their other firearms are gone.

If you choose to own a different firearm, great for you. Carry it, shoot it, be happy. Your choice has no relevance to viability or obselescence of the G26. Simply because you choose not to own one, or carry one, or whatever, does not make the pistol obsolete. To suggest so would be extreme arrogance, as if your opinion changes the speed of the planet one iota. The best you can say is that it's obsolete to you.

My son, who recently separated from the USMC, received a G19 from me. When asked about other firearms, though he owns a G27, his first thought was a G26. Not obsolete to him. Nor to the thousands of citizens who own and carry and buy them, and officers, and others. Still every bit as viable today as any other day, and still a popular choice.

Maybe just not yours.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The only thing that the Glock 26 lacks as a guarantee to immortality is that it was not designed by John M Browning.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I dunno. The basic Glock design has become pretty immortal.

quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
The only thing that the Glock 26 lacks as a guarantee to immortality is that it was not designed by John M Browning.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Ah, but Glock does use the Browning designed stepped cam barrel lug. This should convey at least partial immortality. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The 26 is the finest of the Glocks...IMHO.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When all other Glocks are gone, there will still be a G26.

Posts: 113 | Location: N.E.Ohio | Registered: August 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the cities are gone and the weeds grow up, there will still be Glocks.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
No. It'll be the 19.

quote:
Originally posted by sugerwater:
When all other Glocks are gone, there will still be a G26.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, let's not get silly and debate which Glock will outlast cockroaches.

posted Hide Post
I'm thinking more in terms of the plastic which won't deteriorate, and if protected with a little grease, the internals. Glocks have a reputation for a hardy existence in a rough environment, and long after other things decay and fall by the wayside, the pistols themselves will still be around, given that they'll take a lot longer to decompose.

There was a thread here not long ago about the longevity of the Glock. Some claimed years ago when the Glock came out that they wouldn't own a "plastic pistol," but wanted something metal to ensure that the handgun lasted until their grandkids could own one, and that a "plastic pistol" would never be an heirloom.

I'm willing to bet, though I'll be long dead and unable to collect, that "plastic pistols" will be around a long, long time, and will likely outlast all of us.

Probably still not obsolete then, either.

posted Hide Post
I was told by someone familiar with the results, some years back when the FBI tested a bunch of different service pistols at 50 yards, that the Glock 26 shot the smallest groups of all, excepting the HRT custom 1911 pistols.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The itty bitty Glocks tend to be very accurate guns mechanically for some reason or another. I have noticed it with the 26/27/30. Harder to shoot well due to the smaller sight radius/grip etc. but pound for pound really accurate little buggers.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The itty bitty Glocks tend to be very accurate guns mechanically for some reason or another. I have noticed it with the 26/27/30. Harder to shoot well due to the smaller sight radius/grip etc. but pound for pound really accurate little buggers.

Short/stiff barrel is what I was told.

Many years ago, when I was trying to sort out accuracy issues with some Gen 1 M&P 9mm pistols that were giving me fits, I would shoot a 26 at 25 yards each session to confirm accuracy issues were the M&P pistols and not me.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Glocks since they became commonly available. I think I bought my generation one in 1987 - or so. However, I've never owned anything other than 17, 19 and 21.

I do recall reading an article in a gun magazine where they did a comparative accuracy test between a 17L (or whatever it was called back then), a 17 and a 19. The three guns fired at the same level of accuracy in spite of differing barrel lengths.

Perhaps it doesn't matter too much how long the barrel is? That would explain the accuracy of the 26.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post