SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Convert P226 from .40 S&W to 9mm?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convert P226 from .40 S&W to 9mm? Login/Join 
Picture of 7mm Mauser
posted
About 10 years ago I picked up a used P226 in its original .40 S&W caliber.

Can this pistol be converted to a 9mm with a new barrel, recoil spring and 9mm magazines?

Will it reliably feed the 9mm cartridges without any internal modifications?

If so, I imagine the sights may or may not deliver a significant change in POI at 30 feet. Range time will tell.

Thanks for your help.

Port Orchard, WA

Posts: 170 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I did it with a Barsto barrel but there are others that work too. I didn’t even change recoil springs and it functions 100%.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yes, used EFK Firedragon barrel and sig 9mm mags never had a failure

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you guys carry these conversion guns on the street or are they just range guns?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you've looked at a Sig Caliber X-Change Kit but they come with a barrel, slide, recoil spring and two mags. They work flawlessly.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
EFKFiredragon 9mm/40 conversion (and a 357Sig bbl) dropped in , fit & fired flawlessly. A 40 magazine feed the 357 (of course) and the 9 with one extra round. All 3" groups at 7 yards, though the 9 printed below the 40 and the 357 below the 9.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried mine all the time with the 9 barrel

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 226 started life as a .22 Classic.
I added the x-change kits in 9MM and .357sig and they all work flawlessly.

In .22, it's like a shooting a pellet gun.

For SHTF, the .357 Sig is a very potent self- defense round, the recoil is manageable but impressive.

In 9MM, its accurate, reliable and very controlable with an impressive round count.

I had it back to Sig for it's AEP action work, so Its a very nice shooter in whatever I choose to feed it.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
In my opinion they should never be carried for defense with the conversion barrel. They should be considered range guns only. The breechface is still 40 caliber size and the corresponding extractor geometry that goes with that.

You can buy a 9mm slide and barrel, or sell off the .40 gun and get the 9MM gun you want.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 7mm Mauser
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Port Orchard, WA

Posts: 170 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post