SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My P320RX conundrum: a poll and a karma
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My P320RX conundrum: a poll and a karma Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
After putting a SIG Romeo 3 on my 9x19mm PSA PA-X9 pistol (the Romeo 3 I got via the SIGforum Classifieds) I've been convinced a MRDS on a pistol is adoption of a new technological solution to an age old old age problem, specifically becoming blind as a bat as we (specifically I) age.

I won't defile my W. German P226, a MRDS is the size of my P230, so it will either involve my current EDC and competition pistol, a P320 Compact that has a threaded barrel and suppressor sights or buying a new P320RX which will become my EDC and competition pistol.

My conundrum is which way to go in acquiring one.

I have multiple choices, posed as the questions in the poll.

As always, I value the input of the members here, so I'm adding a karma to the poll in homes I get great feedback.

The karma is a $25 gift card to Top Gun Supply or Amazon.com, the selectee's choice.

Rules.
Choose one answer only to the poll.
After answering, post a reply explaining your choice. The reply is needed so the Karminator can pick amongst the entrants.
Have an eddress in your profile where I can reach you.
Respond to my "you won" email within 48 hours, or you are DQ'd.
Drawing is this Sunday evening or Monday.

Question:
Which way should I go with adding a MRDS pistol to my collection?

Choices:
Don't do it! Iron sights shall rule the Iron Throne!!!!
Buy a P320RX Compact conversion kit
Buy a P320RX Compact complete gun
Have your P320 Compact milled for a MRDS
Buy a P320RX Full-size conversion kit
Buy a P320RX Full-size complete gun

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why fool around get something you will enjoy. just buy the full- size complete gun.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
I’d buy a factory complete gun, I voted for the compact only because it’s already what you’re using. But if it were me I’d get the compact RX for your EDC and an P320 X5 for competition and swap the Romeo 1 back and forth or just buy a dedicated Romeo for the X5.

Another idea is you could get the Compact RX exchange kit and sell your current slide and barrel and invest the proceeds toward a new X5 for competition.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RX Full size, it allways nice to get a new gun

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
RX full size- no messing around and you have a complete gun vs the conversion...love mine. I also have aging eyes and I’m thankful for this evolution.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I'd have the existing gun milled. Sight radius is a non factor with a dot and you can get the dot lower and more secure with having it milled for that purpose. YMMV

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the RX fullsize. I just can't get behind putting an RMR on a compact gun.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
None of the above. Buy this:
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p226-rx-full-size.html

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I voted for a new 320RX compact, based off of your desire to EDC with it.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Karma!

I voted "Buy a P320RX Compact complete gun", but "Have your P320 Compact milled" is a very close second, especially if you don't have the funds for a whole new gun.

The RXs aren't available as conversion kits yet, so buying complete or getting milled are your only real options. (Though I guess if you really wanted to, you could buy a P320RX, then try to sell off the FCU to recoup some of the cost, effectively making your own conversion kit.)

And since it's going to be an EDC, the Compact makes more sense than the Full Size.

Posts: 32504 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Plenty of guys carry handguns with RDS. They're becoming increasingly popular for police duty guns too.

They're not that obtrusive... Smaller than many weaponlights, in fact. With the right holster, the impact on concealment is minimal.

And I don't really think it's very feasible to keep attaching/detaching a handgun red dot every time you switch between carry and competition. It's not like a return-to-zero QD mount for a red dot on a rifle. It involves loctited screws, and you'd likely have to re-zero it each time.

Posts: 32504 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I said complete FS.

I bought the Carry, figuring if I felt the 17 round grip was too big to EDC, I could get the Compact, or even SC and be okay. I don't have any issue concealing, so I may as well have gotten a FS. And if you're gonna EDC with a red dot, Compact, Carry, FS...it's gonna be bulky.

For competition, I think the FS had the edge. First, higher capacity (unless you're competing in mag limited competitions). Now sight radius would be another reason, but the RDS is kicking that to the curb. The final reason then is recoil absorption. The extra weight should help getting back on target quickly for follow ups.

So why a whole gun instead of conversion? Mainly cuz I doubt you'll find a conversion easily. And if you decide you don't need the Compact, you can sell it as a complete pistol rather than a conversion kit. If you were going to continue to carry the Compact and only compete with the RDS, then I'd lean towards conversion.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
A vote for full size RX here.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I would just go with the full size 320RX.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would have the Compact 320 milled for an trijicon RMR. In my opinion the Sig mini Reddots are not proven. RMR’s (and docter optics) are the granddaddy and are no nonesemse robust Sights. You can get very good deals on Gen 1 RMR’s in the same price range as the Romeo’s. Add a $10 anti-flicker sealing plate and you have a perfect pistol optic with great pedigree, aftermarket support, and warranty. I carry a custom Glock 19 cutdown with an RMR daily and the optic has never disappointed.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote the RX Compact conversion. The kits sell for $600 and you get a huge bang for your buck. I love my Romeo1's and they have been flawless for the past 18 months. I have an RMR'ed glock 17.5 and I can tell you that the romeo1 is just as reliable but it has a much better field of view.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

...The RXs aren't available as conversion kits yet, ...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/740145898

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/739901185

P229 AE 41XXX

Posts: 294 | Location: NJ | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say buy a compact conversion kit. Why have the most modular gun around if you are going to just go buy another gun to suit your needs Wink

Posts: 66 | Registered: October 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for a new 320RX compact. Makes a better EDC and factory installed might be less expensive.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote for a new 320RX compact because that’s what I’d want.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3529 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post