SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HELP! Range Recommendation Indianapolis Area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Range Recommendation Indianapolis Area Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
Help!

I'm two for two strikeouts looking at Indianapolis area ranges that will let me draw from a holster and fire.

I knew going in that the Atterbury complex was probably out, but Point Blank was a bit of a surprise. The commercial ranges in Colorado and Virginia I frequented all either permitted draw from a holster, or had some mechanism (usually an RSO watching you draw and signing off that you weren't a nitwit) to permit training from the holster.

Perusing range rules has yielded one maybe (Parabellum) and one "not mentioned at all." Any members local here who can advise? I'm south of the city in Columbus, IN but I'm willing to drive.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know of any indoor ranges. There are a few private conservation clubs. I think the closest to you would be in Martinsville.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a bummer.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live in the Columbus area, not sure if they allow draw from the holster.

http://www.ceraland.org/discov...ilities/rifle-range/

Posts: 88 | Location: Crawfordville | Registered: October 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Marion County Fish & Game Association allows drawing and firing from a holster under certain conditions. Drawing from a holster is NOT allowed on the main range firing line, but it is in the bays (there are two bays). Its only open to the public during events, but membership is not closed. You might consider checking out the range during the Friday Night Steel Matches, the next one is April 14. We'll be shoting bowling pins on Saturday April 22. Recently we've discovered that non-members have been walking in during events and using our range without a member's supervision, so the gate is now to be closed during all matches/events. It will be open at the start of the event to allow non-member shooting the match to attend. This range is located on the West side of Indianapolis off Crawfordsville Road between 465 and Girls School Road, so its a long drive for you. You can find more information at http://www.indyrange.org.
I've never been to Parabellum, but it is an active indoor range.

MCF&GA is not for everyone - no centerfire rifles (pistol cailber carbines are allowed), but I works for me.

From the rules at Marion County Fish & Game Association:
Drawing From a Holster:

23. Safely drawing from a holster and firing is allowed in the bays only.
24. Drawing from a holster on the main firing line is not permitted.
25. Safely drawing means that throughout the draw process, the muzzle is always pointed directly at the
ground or into a berm.
26. Only strong side hip holsters that hold the firearm in such a manner that that the muzzle is pointed at
the ground within one meter of the shooters feet are permitted.

Posts: 56 | Registered: December 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post