SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone know if Glock worked out the kinks on the 44?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know if Glock worked out the kinks on the 44? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
What the title implies ...

I'm looking to add a .22 pistol to the safe. And I'm thinking about an old fashioned down home plinker.

The new Glock 44 in .22 would be perfect, but only if some of the earlier glitches have been worked out.

So, does anyone know?

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Mine works fine, no issues so far, ran a couple of boxes of mini mags through it to break in since it's a higher quality ammo. After that it's bulk ammo only, otherwise, whats the point of making a 22.

Only thing that needs improvement is magazine capacity.

G44 with Lil Buckwheat Can

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Only thing that needs improvement is magazine capacity.

I inquired about that at my most recent Glock Armorer class a couple weeks back. The Glock rep said that it was such a bitch to get the existing 10 round .22LR mags to work reliably that it'll be a while, if ever, before higher capacity factory mags are released.

Working out the kinks in the magazine design is the reason why release was so delayed, as evidenced by the fact that four later models (45-48) were introduced before the 44 was released.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Maybe they should look at KelTec and Taurus mags, both feed significantly more rounds.

I have had a few feed problems with the Glock mags, nothing more than the tip nosing down and catching under the feed ramp, this is usually from me not making sure the rounds are in the mag properly when loading.

Same for my PMR30, you have to load the rounds properly for it to work well.

Other than that, I like the 44, just need about 8 more mags or glock to make them 20 round mags.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
.22LR and .22 Magnum are two very different animals, when it comes to feeding.

.22 Magnum is centerfire with a recessed rim. .22LR is rimfire, with a prominent exposed rim at the base of the cartridge.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

.22 Magnum is centerfire with a recessed rim. .22LR is rimfire, with a prominent exposed rim at the base of the cartridge.

Confused
Thought 22WMR (used in the KT PMR/CMR) was a rimfire?
22 Hornet, being the centerfire?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
My Kel Tec CP 33 has 33 round mags in .22lr and it feeds like a dream. If Kel Tac can do it, I'd think Glock and others should be able to figure it out too.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Confused
Thought 22WMR (used in the KT PMR/CMR) was a rimfire?
22 Hornet, being the centerfire?

You're correct. I'm not sure what I was thinking. That's what I get for distracted/rushed posting.

Even .22 Hornet, while centerfire, has a prominent rim.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
My Kel Tec CP 33 has 33 round mags in .22lr and it feeds like a dream. If Kel Tac can do it, I'd think Glock and others should be able to figure it out too.

True. But it may have to do with designing a reliable high capacity .22LR magazine without infringing on existing magazine patents. Just because someone else already figured out a way to do it doesn't mean other companies can utilize that way.

posted Hide Post
I know of two.
1. Works fine with MiniMag and other high end high velocity; but the owner is willing to put up with the occasional misfunction to use the cheap stuff.

2. Poor functionality, sent back, fixed, works fine with most ammo.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Mine has been exceptional with all types of ammo, including Thunderbolt.

Pro-Mag, (I know, I know) is releasing an 18 round mag. I haven't seen any yet. Here is the UPC for those interested:

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
What kinks? Mine has been flawless with anything I feed it. I wish the gun was a little heavier. Other than that, it's great gun and I enjoy shooting it!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of the 25 or so that we've sold since it went live, AFAIK we've heard gripes from maybe two or three buyers regarding problems and reliability. Another regular grouses about issues with his (bought elsewhere). That being said, I really don't know how many of these guns have actually been shot since too many of these were bought as a 'fallback choice' by panicky people "looking for a Glock 19" without any real clue as to WHY they were looking to buy a G19.

Warm and fuzzy now that they own a gun, any gun. What do they care that they don't actually know how to USE the thing. Or that after the background check comes back and they come back in to pick up their new purchase, THEY CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THE HELL IT IS THAT THEY BOUGHT. Roll Eyes

Yes...I myself now feel warm and fuzzy just thinking about how safe we all are now. Rant off.

(Sorry about the drift, but it was remembering one particular G44 buyer from a couple of months ago that set me off. Mad Probably why I hardsell the TX22 more than "The Glock".)

-MG

Posts: 1984 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still don't see the need for this when the Ruger MK2 family is still around.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I read a statement on another forum that Glock had updated the slides and extractors after a certain S/N. If I can find it again, I will post it.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
And ... I'm the new owner of a Glock 44.

My first observation was ... "Damn, I forgot just how bad these factory sights can be"!

Anyone know if I can order the same 10-8 sights (front red fiberoptic, rear solid black "U" notch) that I have on my G19 for the G44?

Other than that, the gun doesn't feel bad. The trigger isn't all that bad. Hopefully, I'll get to shoot her
Sunday, or next week.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just got one and ran a hundred rounds through it yesterday. Great gun but I'll also change the sights if possible. I carry a G19 all but the warmer months so the 44 will be a great fun/training gun.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
And ... I'm the new owner of a Glock 44.

My first observation was ... "Damn, I forgot just how bad these factory sights can be"!

Anyone know if I can order the same 10-8 sights (front red fiberoptic, rear solid black "U" notch) that I have on my G19 for the G44?

Other than that, the gun doesn't feel bad. The trigger isn't all that bad. Hopefully, I'll get to shoot her
Sunday, or next week.

Any steel rear sight is unlikely to play well with the dovetail cut on the G44’s polymer slide.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I still don't see the need for this when the Ruger MK2 family is still around.

Pretty sure this is true as I spoke with a Glock rep about it. Apparently, Glock makes very little money off Ruger .22 sales.

Wink

A stel sight will change the reciprocating weight slightly, what that might do to reliability I guess you'd have to find out.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Mine’s been perfect. Threaded barrel will be here Tuesday.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post