SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New MP compact coming out to match Glock 19
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New MP compact coming out to match Glock 19 Login/Join 
Picture of rappa
posted Hide Post
THIS is more exciting than the Gen 5 release! I'm a proud owner of 2 Glock 19's (Gen2, Gen4), but not interested at all in a Gen5. Not interested in a full size 2.0 nor the subcompact M&P9! Judging by the specs,this one fits in with the rest of my compact arsenal (the 19's, KB P228, KF P228, CZ75 Compact). I'm not an early adopter of anything but I might break my own rule for this one!

Posts: 268 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: December 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
About ten years too late! Better late than never though. This is the size "compact" they should have made instead of the 12 rounder.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they get it right, I really do, put my confidance in S&W's *consistent* quality control is pretty low. It took them a long long time to improve the accuracy of their M&P 9mm pistols. Also the manual safeties on the M&P nines I have handled took very very little thumb pressure to move them.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like this so much I think I might even buy one. And I don't generally buy S&W handguns made after WWII. And that's saying something! This MIGHT be the M&P that finally ticks all the boxes for me.

Posts: 127 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
HK would do well to get a VP9c out pretty quick.

Confused

They already have the sk out, no?

I'm not a buyer, as I'm happy with my Austrian guns, but I'm damn glad to see it on the market. I'd imagine they sell a boat-load of 'em.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
HK would do well to get a VP9c out pretty quick.

Confused

They already have the sk out, no?

I'm not a buyer, as I'm happy with my Austrian guns, but I'm damn glad to see it on the market. I'd imagine they sell a boat-load of 'em.

Compact, not subcompact. The SK is in the subcompact class, like the G26.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
The SK is in the subcompact class, like the G26.

Pfft! Wink

I know that's what they "call" it, and it's a solid piece, but I think I could hide my 26 inside an sk. Don't have a rail though, like the sk.

I don't see HK going to market with anything in between those two. The size difference is just too close as is.

Congrats to S&W, I had a M&P45C, and I always thought it was the ideal size. Good to see it's now available in 9mm form.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Pfft! Wink

I know that's what they "call" it, and it's a solid piece, but I think I could hide my 26 inside an sk. Don't have a rail though, like the sk.

I don't see HK going to market with anything in between those two. The size difference is just too close as is.

Congrats to S&W, I had a M&P45C, and I always thought it was the ideal size. Good to see it's now available in 9mm form.

I lot of people don't like the subcompacts like the SK of G26/G27, me included. The compacts fit the hands better. Big difference. No one here is questioning how "solid" the subcompacts are. It's about what fits you. Wink

Remember, HK made the USP Compact that was popular. Why not make a compact in the VP line?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
quote:

Pfft! Wink

I lot of people don't like the subcompacts like the SK of G26/G27, me included. The compacts fit the hands better. Big difference. No one here is questioning how "solid" the subcompacts are. It's about what fits you. Wink

Remember, HK made the USP Compact that was popular. Why not make a compact in the VP line?

More keenly, HK makes not one, but two pistols concurrently in that size class. The USP Compact and the P2000. I realize some wannabe schmaht guy over in Germany is fretting over how the extended baseplate magazine that comes standard with the two Compacts is similar in length to the natural grip of the P30 and VP9, so therefore they are the same damn thing (all while being really stingy with the supply of flat base plates).

Idealy, they could update the P30 or VP9 lineup with a proper compact pistol, bringing the just right size of the USPc/P2000 into the world of modern HK ergonomics.

Their loss. At least SIG knows what's up (since the old P228 and even before that), while S&W has finally pulled their heads out of their asses and stopped making weird "one size fits all" guns. The still screwed up a bit with the lack of a bobtail cut (something the Glock19 emulates), but whatever. It is as close as the P10C is at this point.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I like the idea of a Glock 19 sized Smith and Wesson, I am a bit puzzled. It looks like they are making the compact bigger. The Current version is listed as a 3.5 inch with a 12 round magazine, the new version is a 4" with a 15 round magazine. I suspect it will be heavier and wider/longer in the grip to facilitate the 15 round magazine.

Will they release a smaller "compact" for a higher concealability version like the current Compact or will they dump the 3.5 inch barrel and simply point to the shield for concealability.

Maybe it's just me, I've always liked the 3913/6906 and pined for a double column P239.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
While I like the idea of a Glock 19 sized Smith and Wesson, I am a bit puzzled. It looks like they are making the compact bigger. The Current version is listed as a 3.5 inch with a 12 round magazine, the new version is a 4" with a 15 round magazine. I suspect it will be heavier and wider/longer in the grip to facilitate the 15 round magazine.

Will they release a smaller "compact" for a higher concealability version like the current Compact or will they dump the 3.5 inch barrel and simply point to the shield for concealability.

Maybe it's just me, I've always liked the 3913/6906 and pined for a double column P239.

Thinking SW is going to have a line up much like Glocks 17, 19 and 26, and if so they should fit a lot a different roles. The MPs have always had better ergos, and I am what you call a glock guy. I don't see it being father or much heavier than a 19. sW should have done this 4-5 years ago, but with the latest improvements I am glad they are doing it now.

At the price I got my full size MP 2.0 I am looking forward to the compact 2.0

Sidenote : that's the new 1000 lumen surefire in the picture , plus updated XC-1

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
Thinking SW is going to have a line up much like Glocks 17, 19 and 26.

That's about it. I don't see why folks are puzzled by this. S&W is trying, albeit late, to capture the segment of customers who wants the G19-size M&P for the longest time.

Q

Picture of Q83
posted Hide Post
Since the release of the MP 2.0, I've been very tempted to give them a try. One of the few platforms I haven't shot.

I think I'll see if an LGS has a fullsize model to rent. The compact sparked my interest even more.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
ISRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

I'm betting the previous "compact" will get the 2.0 treatment and be reborn as a "sub-compact". That way they are consistent with Glock, SIG, etc. This is the first true compact S&W has made in the M&P series.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
That most definitely has my attention! Glad they finally did this.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Thinking SW is going to have a line up much like Glocks 17, 19 and 26.

That's about it. I don't see why folks are puzzled by this. S&W is trying, albeit late, to capture the segment of customers who wants the G19-size M&P for the longest time.

One of the reasons it's puzzling is because you are only going to have a .25 inch difference between the barrel lengths of the M&P 2.0 full size vs the compact 2.0 (4.25" fullsize, 4" compact) whereas the Glocks have a difference of approximately a half inch (G17 4.48 vs 4.02 G17). Heck, if you look at the overall length of the M&P 2.0 fullsize it's listed as 7.4 inches OAL and the Glock 19 is 7.28 inch.

Without the height and weight of the Compact 2.0 to compare to the Fullsize 2.0 we can't get the full picture, but looking at the sleeve to use the full size magazines in the compact it doesn't appear to be a major difference. Overall it doesn't look like it's as big of a dimensional difference between the M&Ps and the Glocks. If they relabel the existing M&P Compacts as the Subcompact 2.0 then I'd be happy. As the current compact has a 3.5 inch barrel and a significantly shorter but than my full-size M&P.

Again, maybe it's me, I actually prefer the grip size of the Glock 17 to the 19. It's also possible that this is one of those things that just feels right to certain people. But, given the fact that a Glock 19 lists at 23 oz empty and the MP current compact lists at 24 oz empty, I don't think the new S&W compact will feel the same as a Glock 19 to the hand.

But, We'll see.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
My Google fu must be weak. Anyone know when these will be in stores?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because - unlike the standard USP - the standard VP9 isn't a giant hulk of a gun. It's only marginally bigger than the SK variant. And we know to keep capacity equal, HK has to go full-size on the grip. So if they did bring it to market, it would compete heavily with itself, (in sk form) be more expensive, and not have the capacity of its competitors already on the shelf.

quote:
This is the first true compact S&W has made in the M&P series.

Aside from the M&P 45C which was around forever and was/is a fantastic little gun. Which also - by coincidence Wink - is almost identical in size to their new 9C.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
My Google fu must be weak. Anyone know when these will be in stores?

in stores no, but information is suppose to drop on Monday

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sidenote : that's the new 1000 lumen surefire in the picture , plus updated XC-1

that's cool.