SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New MP compact coming out to match Glock 19
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New MP compact coming out to match Glock 19 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
They should be marked with a small letter in a box on the lower outside rear of the grip. The M&P 2.0 Compact reviews I've seen show that. (For example, at ~2:00 and again at ~4:20 in the above video review.)

Yep ... got out the magnifying glass and there they are ... the main reason my compact is going to L&M Precision to be milled for a Leupold Deltapoint Pro and tall front sight ... that and the fact that I can't shoot it now, for a couple more weeks as I work on PT for my right shoulder following surgery.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies ...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
At one point the P320 Compact was appearing to challenge the G19 for the top standard compact auto-pistol. But the drop safety thing seems to have put a ding in that. The M&P 2.0 Compact looks to be in position to become the G19s prime competition.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad for options but the difference is smaller than I thought. I may need to see them in stores and evaluate from there.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have two CZ P-10C pistols, a new Gen5 G19 (unfired) and I just picked up the new S&W M&P 15rd compact today from my dealer. To *me* the CZ P-10C's triggers are better, but The Gen 5 isn't bad by Glock standards, there is a little sponge before the wall but the break is fine. Out of the box , the trigger on *my* M&P compact is much better than the 1.0 version, its accuracy and reliability are yet to me determined. So far with approx 4,000 rds of assorted FMJ ball and HP's of different weights my P-10c's have been pefect in function and with no issues. Be aware, on a new CZ P-10c pistol, the trigger, mag release and slide release *may* take a little time to break in. Mine did, and now all three are excellent. FYI, the new M&P 2.0's pistols have a new spring loaded detent next to the slide release which makes it a whole lot harder for the slide to auto forward when doing a hard mag insertion. The downside is it also makes it harder to operate the slide release. If the accuracy and reliability are there with the new 2.0 compact, it will be another fine option for those looking for a G19 sized pistol, but with much better ergonomics and a better natural pointability.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uncle Malice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I'm glad for options but the difference is smaller than I thought. I may need to see them in stores and evaluate from there.

The differences are indeed small. If you already own a 4.25, there's probably no reason to own both... but I think they are significant enough that this model is the 'better' option and if I had the 4.25, I would probably be looking to sell it in order to go with this version unless i had already invested in modifying it.

Posts: 532 | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The issue isn't length but height. The new compact seems to have a solid .5" height advantage on the full size, and is equivalent to the G19 (which seems to be a sweet spot for carry guns.) This is important for carry. If you're not going to carry it, you might as well get/keep the full size.

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Malice:
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:

The differences are indeed small. If you already own a 4.25, there's probably no reason to own both... but I think they are significant enough that this model is the 'better' option and if I had the 4.25, I would probably be looking to sell it in order to go with this version unless i had already invested in modifying it.

Picture of Uncle Malice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The issue isn't length but height. The new compact seems to have a solid .5" height advantage on the full size, and is equivalent to the G19 (which seems to be a sweet spot for carry guns.) This is important for carry. If you're not going to carry it, you might as well get/keep the full size.

Of course. I was just using 4.25 to refer to the model. That's what I mean though. The difference in grip length between the 4.25 and the 4" 'compact' isn't huge - as you said, about a half-inch.... but it makes a noticeable difference. It also doesn't have the flared forward bottom of the grip. And removing or modifying the takedown tool to get rid of that part right on the heel makes it even closer tot he G19 in the grip. I like it better that way. Still working on the best way to go about making it a permanent solution.

Posts: 532 | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The 1911 is 5.5" tall. The G19 is 5".

A half inch off the grip makes a world of difference when carrying. Doesn't seem like much, but it is.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another good review, just watched without volume, seems he had a few jams with 147.

Will watch at lunch to see what he says, he also has a review of the full size and seemed to be a little picky on some ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY_Fn_FDmTg

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
another good review, just watched without volume, seems he had a few jams with 147.

Will watch at lunch to see what he says, he also has a review of the full size and seemed to be a little picky on some ammo.

He was using crap ammo, Freedom Munitions 147 low power reloads. I would not hold that against the new M&P 2.0 Compact. Manual probably advises against using reloads. Some of these YT guys are in such a hurry to review a new gun I wonder if they even clean and lube it first.

Bottom line though is he really like it and gave it a quick review 9 out of 10.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Question because I have found one locally yet. The g19 is generally no go for me because I have XL hands and I get pinky dangle (even on the gen 5). Is the m&p compact a litte longer? Anyone got a pic side by side?

Thanks

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
Is the m&p compact a litte longer?

They're practically identical.

In the video review that grumpy1 posted towards the bottom of Page 6, there's a side-by-side grip length comparison with a Glock 19, at around the 5:30 to 6:00 mark.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It's not so much the numbers. For 20 years, the G19 has been considered something of the perfect form factor for a general purpose gun. Big enough to shoot well and have a great mag capacity, but still small enough to be a really good CCW gun. But for some unknown reason, no gun maker would build a gun that was the same form factor.

When the M&P first came out, I and many, Many, MANY other people stated this. It was a bit of a running joke. Now Smith finally got with the program. I think this gun will sell well, but it would have been selling well, and probably better than any of the existing M&P models have, for the decade or so that the M&P line has been out, and all through the gun sales boom years. I bet the Smith lost out on a high six figures, maybe seven figures unit count of gun sales.

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Malice:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Of course. I was just using 4.25 to refer to the model. That's what I mean though. The difference in grip length between the 4.25 and the 4" 'compact' isn't huge - as you said, about a half-inch.... but it makes a noticeable difference. It also doesn't have the flared forward bottom of the grip. And removing or modifying the takedown tool to get rid of that part right on the heel makes it even closer tot he G19 in the grip. I like it better that way. Still working on the best way to go about making it a permanent solution.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with S&W. The promo is good for the compact 2.0.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:

He was using crap ammo, Freedom Munitions 147 low power reloads. I would not hold that against the new M&P 2.0 Compact. Manual probably advises against using reloads. Some of these YT guys are in such a hurry to review a new gun I wonder if they even clean and lube it first.

Bottom line though is he really like it and gave it a quick review 9 out of 10.

no he was pretty clear what the issue was, and i agree with you and him i would not hold it against the MP compact at all.

He's one of the more honest guys out there, and seems to put a lot of thought behind his reviews.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Just got off the phone with S&W. The promo is good for the compact 2.0.

SWEET. Thanks for looking into that. Smile

Now I have to see if I can find one with a safety really soon locally. Buds has them in stock but I might not get it in time, though I should be good as long as receipt is dated by Sept 30. Illinois has 72 hour waiting period too. Mad

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Grumpy

As long as the “purchase” date is on your invoice/receipt showing it was BOUGHT before the 30th, you should be able to submit it after the 30th.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Grumpy

As long as the “purchase” date is on your invoice/receipt showing it was BOUGHT before the 30th, you should be able to submit it after the 30th.

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Brownells has them for 439.00 shipped now with code MAZ,

sorry Grumpy no available with safety.

posted Hide Post
Here are some Pics comparing the size differences between the new S&W M&P compact, the Gen 5 G19 and the CZ P-10c pistols and their magazines. If the accuracy, functional reliabilty and long term durability prove to be there with the new M&P compact, it will be another excellent option for those looking for a G19 sized pistol. The trigger on mine really needs nothing out of the box, but a flat faced Apex trigger shoe would make it feel a little better to *me*. Also, the trigger on the M&P breaks approx 1/8" farther back than on the other two pistols . The barrel fit on mine is excelent, very tight with zero play anywhere.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post