Find
Notify
Tools

Kahr P45 Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
Please educate me on this pistol. Are they accurate and reliable? Are they pleasant to shoot or is the recoil as bad as the Kahr 40 guns?

Are they durable? Hold up to a lot of shooting?

I have an opportunity to purchase a lightly used example. Of course the owner only fired it less than 50 times and claims if he didnt need the money he would keep it. Yeah, and Carmen Electra wont stop calling me. Wink

So what say you gents who have these P45s? Buy it, shoot it, love it or run away? Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Buy it, shoot it, then sell it, using the the same "If I didn't need the money..." sob story.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I shot the crap out of mine. I put close to 1,000 rounds down range with no malfunctions of any kind. It barks a bit, but nothing unruly. I put a Brooks A-grip on mine and it was fantastic, even if it did look a bit like an Elvs pistol. My only complaint, as with all Kahr pistols, was the sharp slide release that would smack my thumb if I kept it flat on the frame. It was a great carry gun.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one with nightsights. It's a handy package for sure. It won't feed 230 grain anything but really likes the 185 grain FP.(Primarily the 185 grain Sierra JHP bullets). It's on the backburner for now but I'll probably break it out soon since it's starting to get warm. It is flippy in the hand but not too bad compared to my CW45.

I'll send it back I guess one day or I'll work around the 185 grain. For me, if it doesn't feed 230 RN, I'm not very interested as most
of my practice rounds are 230 grain RN.

It's the gun in the middle. The metal framed 9's seem to be the most reliable and functioning guns.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, think its a PM45. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
I have one with nightsights. It's a handy package for sure. It won't feed 230 grain anything but really likes the 185 grain FP.(Primarily the 185 grain Sierra JHP bullets). It's on the backburner for now but I'll probably break it out soon since it's starting to get warm. It is flippy in the hand but not too bad compared to my CW45.

I'll send it back I guess one day or I'll work around the 185 grain. For me, if it doesn't feed 230 RN, I'm not very interested as most
of my practice rounds are 230 grain RN.

It's the gun in the middle. The metal framed 9's seem to be the most reliable and functioning guns.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
A used Kahr on the used market is about as good as a WELL used hooker. Expect it to choke (a lot) and be a giant lemon. I'm serious. People keep the good Kahr pistols and dump the lemons on the used market. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Usually these pistols are accompanied by used car sales tactics, like "barely shot", "only fired once", "need the money", or "less than 50 rounds fired", etc. This is the owners way of saying, its a turd, I know its a turd, but I can play naïve when you call in two weeks complaining about what a turd it is.

Honestly, friends don't let friends buy Kahr pistols.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
A used Kahr on the used market is about as good as a WELL used hooker. Expect it to choke (a lot) and be a giant lemon. I'm serious.

^^^ What he said. ^^^

I won't go into my whole Kahr rant, as I have not had this model, but suffice it to say after buying a new CW45 and the ensuing encounter with their customer service, it was and will be my last Kahr firearm.

ETA: When I got rid of it, I was very upfront about the issues and the resolutions given. I traded it on a beat-to-shit S&W 910 with an extra hundred dollars on my end. Best trade I ever made.

It's telling that when I bought it, it was retailing for $499 and a couple years ago you could get them brand new for $299 all day long.

How many really good guns have you seen go down almost half in price?

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
I have 6 Kahr's...including the P45, PM45, P9, K9, T9 and TP9. I have owned quite a few others over the years.

They are among the most accurate and reliable firearms I own. I would sell the vast majority of my handguns before I sold one of my Kahr's.

I find the P45 rather tame, much moreso than the PM45, and it handles 230 grain ammo just fine.

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ct45 and a cw9 no problems with either one. I don't think the 45 recoil is any worse than the 9. it just feels different. More of a push with the 45 verses a snap with the 9. I'm just as accurate with the 45 as the 9. In case you didn't know the ct45\tp45 will accept 1911 mags. The p45\cw45 will accept commander length 1911 mags.Some slight modification may or may not be needed to the 1911 mags depending on brand.

Posts: 91 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a Kahr P45 since 2006 and have never had any issues with it but I don't shoot it often. It's been very accurate, reliable and recoil is manageable but you could get a bit fatigued shooting over a hundred rounds in one session. If you can get it at a good price go for it, if the seller will let you test fire it that wouldn't be a bad idea either. Any firearm from any brand can be a lemon or have issues but my experience with Kahr has been positive.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a P45, but wish they made a steel K45. I have a couple of K9's, and they are indeed some of the most accurate firearms I have shot (including, in my hands, if I concentrate, my Sig P210 and S&W 952).

But I will agree with Bionic re their customer service. Consistently some of the rudest and leastvhelpful people in the industry. (Thanks for letting me get that off my chest -- I feel better.)

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I often carry a CM45, I like it.
It shoots well and I have not had any issues.
Accurate and reliable.
It takes some range time to get used to the recoil, I find the extended magazine helps.Getting the "extra" finger on the grip allows for much better recoil control.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the information and the experiences. Im thinking about this one still. Not real excited about this particular deal.

But should I get it, I will post here. Thanks again! Regards 18DAI

Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
Zero issues with mine and have had it for 7 years

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a p45 love it no issues at all . All my khar guns are very good not for sale they are keepers. I think they make some of the best guns.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
18DAI,
I had one purchased it new about 5 years ago it had the black diamond coating and Night sights
I shot just over 750 rounds of a variety of ammo from crappy alloy case blazer 230 to quality Gold Dots. I tried to get it to fail weak hand etc.. I didn't clean it for all those rounds. It was in competition with a Glock 36 rental gun. I ended up trading it for a barely used Glock 36. The Glock was just a hair better in recoil and faster with follow up shots due to the difference in trigger systems. I can only speak for my experiences I've had a couple of K9s P9s and PM 40 and none of them ever failed. All but one P9 and the that P45 were purchased used. Now I didn't put over 1000 rounds through any of them some less.. I just never had one fail... Still with the things I've read about them I never "Fully" trusted them 100% Well the K9s I did... That said in my hands they never failed me. and I tried to get everyone to fail Wink

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Smile

Thanks for the info RANGER20! I recently solved my small summertime 45 carry needs and passed on the P45.

A young man on the S&W forum named TercGen made me some cut down Delrin grips for my sidelined CS45. Those grips, similar to the OEM grips on all my other 3rd gen S&W 45 compact guns and comparable to the out of production Big Dog grips, completely changed this pistol.

It is now VERY easy to conceal and not difficult to shoot. It is finally a THIN little 45! Smile

The fellow is very talented and the fit of his grips is as good or better than the original factory Delrins. He has turned the CS45 from a gun I was contemplating selling, to an EDC.

Thanks again everyone for the info and education on the P45! Best regards, 18DAI

posted Hide Post
+1 here for a K9 Elite Stainless with night sights
.Feel great conceals well, and pretty accurate and its been flawless. Same size as my sig p230, slightly smaller than my p225-A1. These would be my top three pistols of my fleet for edc

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two K9’s, a P9 covert and a P40 covert. Zero issues with any of them. I just wish old sight cut night sights were more available along with lights for the K9’s.

Posts: 190 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post