SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ever hear of magazine issues with CZ pistols?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever hear of magazine issues with CZ pistols? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Thought I'd throw this out there and see if I catch anything. I've always liked the CZ 97B and now a BD model as they seem a strong and generous built .45 auto. Should have bought the one I handled years back. Watching a vid on MAC the 97 displayed issues with mag insertion when the top round is fully seated to the rear in the mag. Magazine says nope, aint going in. With the top round a bit forward, mag goes in and seats nicely. Now, a friend carries the poly P 10 pistol. He is having issues with his magazines releasing. He is not good at diagnosing minor issues as such so will be sending his plastic CZ off to " a professional". Now I am curious if CZ has some geometry left unworked in their pistols. I know I will get a million replies about running flawless which doesn't answer my question. I like the 97 pistols pretty good but not if there are magazine problems. Anyone here ever know of mag issues in the CZ line?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problems with my PCR and CZ75 Compact. They came NIB with Mecgar mags.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
My old 97B doesn't have any issue with mags. It uses the 10 round magazine sold by CZ or the same mag marked for a Witness 45.

The 75 Pre B and 75B does use a different magazine. the 75B won't fit in a pre B. Also many CZ 75 have a magazine retention spring that keeps the mag from falling free on ejection. This can be removed or sometimes flattened to allow a free falling magazine.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The only problem I've had if you even want to call it a problem is using PSA aftermarket 35 round mags in the Scorpion. You just need some minor sanding on the front lug of the mag to get it to drop free. I knew of this before buying the mags. One of the hallmarks of CZ guns is the way they eject the mags out of the gun when you hit the mag release.

Were these factory mags being used or aftermarket?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 97's and the current one is a 97 BD. All the mags I have never have had an issue in either gun.
My 75's and the P10 are the same with out issue.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
The only problem I've had if you even want to call it a problem is using PSA aftermarket 35 round mags in the Scorpion. You just need some minor sanding on the front lug of the mag to get it to drop free. I knew of this before buying the mags. One of the hallmarks of CZ guns is the way they eject the mags out of the gun when you hit the mag release.

Were these factory mags being used or aftermarket?
I believe all factory magazines. The video on MAC showed quite clearly, every full mag with rounds fully seated to the rear, mag would not insert. Top round was contacting something. Shawns P 10 is having mags which will not come out of the gun.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the 45AUTO: I've not experienced the issue with my 97B that I bought a year ago, though granted I and shooting buddies have only put a lowly amount of rounds through it to date, approximately 250 to 300 or so, I think (I haven't shot it since last August or September). However I believe this particular problem has been around since the gun was first released. When I first became interested in owning this CZ I did research the 97B a few years ago and came across forum posts by owners who where having difficulty getting fully loaded mags to seat. The solution I remember being offered for those guns was to NOT have the tenth round loaded into the mag (i.e., the top cartridge), seated fully to the rear of the magazine, but have it positioned slightly forward.

This issue did initially cause me to reconsider buying one, but in the end (years later) I bought the gun anyways, since coming to realization that .45AUTO ain't really 'my thang' and that a 97B just like my G21, 1911s, P220s, etc., would never be a gun that I would use for anything other than a range toy. Plus the 'fix' seems to be a relatively easy one to do and learn if the gun did have the issue.

-MG

Posts: 1978 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ's, especially older ones, are well known for having short magazines and short chambers.

My CZ's run my homespun longer rounds, but talking with CZ custom a few days ago, recent chambers are longer than the traditional chambers.

I haven't had an issue with my CZ's or mags, but not all mags for the CZ's are created equal, and there are a lot of variations out there for any given model of CZ pistol.

In some CZ's, a topped magazine may require firm seating.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
Is the friends problem of the mag not coming out due to the bullet stepping forward in the mag similar to the old P220 mag issue with dimple less mags?
I can find this out on the weekend. It is possible.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Damn if I dont like this pistol. My beloved H&K USP guns are being priced out of reach. I like the H&K 45 as well and these also are getting up in price. The CZ97 is working on me with every video I watch. Any input on its finish? I read some where they are painted?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak specifically to the CZ97 but yes most CZ’s have a “painted/applied” finish. In my experience it’s pretty durable stuff and looks fine.

Also, not that I don’t think CZ’s are great, as I do but if you really want a .45 HK but are waivering due to price don’t buy the CZ it will be the most expensive gun you buy because in the back of your head no matter how good that CZ is, and it will be good, you will still have that “but you really wanted X (HK in your case) voice and you will buy one anyway. Ask me how I know. Frown Wink

Only mag issues I have ever heard of over the years are the occasional weak springs or springs that didn’t last as long as they perceivably should have.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
This is what I've been wrestling with. I like the USP guns in either caliber. I got mags for the 9mm gun. The USP .45 would be perfect for me. The prices have left town on those. The only other contender is the P30L. I like the all steel CZ and how it operates. Not too complex. But, the USP has a strong draw of my attention. I friggin love the safety equipped model.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Opinions are like well we all know what they are like Big Grin so take mine with a grain of salt.

I don't have a ton of experience with the CZ97 but my own personal take is it feels kind of like CZ working outside of their wheelhouse. Its certainly not a BAD pistol but IMO doesn't come close to comparing to a CZ75/PCR/SP01 75 variant etc..

HK, for whatever reason, knows how to make a GREAT .45. Yeah the triggers generally are not that great but for guns designed with the amount of abuse envisioned its just as important the gun NOT go off when you don't want it to as it is to go off when you want it to.

My personal opinion is HK makes some of the best .45 caliber handguns out there and for whatever reason their .45s feel not only like its in their wheelhouse but like they were meant to make .45s.

There are tons of great guns and great gun companies but certain makes and manufactures just sort of have the comfort zone gun that is just always good. (Glock's in 9mm, CZ with 75 variants, Beretta in 92 variants, SIGs in .40 for example.) They just seem to be the sweet spots and I think HK, with their .45s are a sweet spot IMO.

Now all that said it is simply my uneducated, interwebz, idjit opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. In todays world you would actually have to pretty much go out of your way to make a BAD firearm choice and I don't think the CZ97 is a bad choice by any margin, I just think for me its not what CZ does best.

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I actually value your oppinion cslinger and enjoy your posts always. Good content in this Forum sir. I will say, I could live with either USP full size, 9mm or the .45. The 9mm USP commands a higher price on line. For me, its save a little longer and bring one home. One local chain Gun store offers very good prices but dont get them in regular. I need to stay in touch with them better as one just may come in. Also need to not buy the extra magazines just now.. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I don’t own a 97. No issues with other CZ’s both metal and plastic such as you experienced. I can speak to the finish though if you are concerned. The “painted” poly coat that CZ uses is applied over a fully nitrided frame (steel). My understanding is that CZ has a tough time making “perfect” frames or they would just be nitrided. They used to sell a Shadow 2 black on black but apparently it was hard for them to find enough “good” frames so they just stopped selling that sku. Poly coat covers imperfections well. So in reality these “painted” finishes are tough as hell.

I have USP’s in full size, compact, 9mm, 40, and 45. My 45 Expert is a keeper. I have never understood that USP’s command a large price but a P2000 are practically being given away and in 9mm at least I think it’s the better gun. I wish I could say something about 97 but all I’ve seen is others use it. They seem nice but I got nothing from personal experience.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Now the USP in 9mm I actually don’t feel is a sweet spot for HK. Smile. Maybe the USP compact but full size USP in 9mm is just not efficient. Given a choice of a USP full size 9mm vs a CZ75 I’m going CZ.

What can I say I am a fickle bitch. Smile

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
So in reality these “painted” finishes are tough as hell.

VERY TOUGH in my experience. I kinda like the way they feel too.

posted Hide Post
I don’t like the USPc at all. I have a couple that I’ve picked up over the years and they have never impressed me in any way. Hence my P2000 comment. I think it’s a better gun in every way I care about.

I also would be wary of making a decision about CZ based on older guns. CZ made now and CZ’s made years back are two different animals. My newest CZ’s, the SP01 and S2 aren’t very similar in many ways manufacturing wise from my first 75BD made in 99 I believe. I suspect a new 97 is fine.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack Bauer would disagree with both of us. Lol

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hence my P2000 comment. I think it’s a better gun in every way I care about.

Ohh I’m a P2000 acolyte. No arguments there. Smile