SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    C3 1911 possible cracked firing pin?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C3 1911 possible cracked firing pin? Login/Join 
posted
What do you guys think about this? I have a C3 1911 that's barely been shot, we're talking less than 30rds. It's pretty much lived its life in my safe with no handling or dry firing.

I was considering selling it when this was noticed. Sale fell through, which is fine because I've decided I kinda love this thing.

Would you have Sig fix it under warranty? I hesitate because they'll likely replace it with another of equal quality. I'm leaning towards Wilson Combat as it's a simple $15 part.

Anyone ever seen this happen?

Posts: 92 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen that before but if it was mine I would just replace the firing pin.

Try calling Sig, they just might send a replacement.

Cliff
FPD ret., USN ret., NRA Lifer

Posts: 45 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BT2012
posted Hide Post
I have never noticed that on the firing pin on my 1911. It is really hard to tell if you actually have a cracked firing pin from just looking at the back alone. Did you take it out and examined the entire firing pin? In any case, if your 1911 is still under warranty, call CS and let them know and see if they will send you a new one. At the same time, go ahead a buy a Wilson Combat FP. Speak to a CS at WC to make sure you get the correct FP for your 1911.

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a new one and be done with it. No need to stress about it.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I agree, just get a new FP, and forget about it.

That's a really nice detailed photo, makes me want to look at my 1911's rail to slide fit, as yours looks pretty sloppy.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
A firing pin is a drop in replacement. The only questions are is it series 70 or 80 system, and is it the 38 Super or 45 ACP pin?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is SIG using MIM firing pins? I would call who ever you decide to buy a new firing from and make sure you get the correct one for your SIG. I would not replace it with more of the same.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I agree, just get a new FP, and forget about it.

That's a really nice detailed photo, makes me want to look at my 1911's rail to slide fit, as yours looks pretty sloppy.

I actually took the pic with my phone (Note 8). Looks aside, the slide/frame for is very tight, no movement.

Consensus seems to agree with my gut which was to get a Wilson and be done with it. Might as well get a bullet proof FP stop while I'm at it.

Posts: 92 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Whats the round count?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It most likely fractured when quenched during the heat treat process.

Just get another one and replace it.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're easy to change, just replace it with a Wilson or Ed Brown......It wouldn't be worth my time to drive the gun to fedex to ship it out for warranty....UNLESS you want free shipping, then ask and pay for other work, once it's send off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I emailed Sig and they offered to send me a new firing pin, no questions asked. Since I don't carry this gun I'll probably just put the new free replacement in and forget about it.