SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the Romeo 1 good enough for duty use?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Romeo 1 good enough for duty use? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
Or should I go with the Trijicon? It will go on a glock 19 MOS.

I've done some research that shows the early Romeo 1s had problems but I can't find much on newer units.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
The RMR is going to be more rugged and is a better choice for duty use.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying a First Gen RMR 06 on duty on a FNX .45T for 4 years now. I have not had any problems, but I would say if you go with the Romeo I would get the shield. The hood on my RMR looks like I have been pounding nails with it, and I have not. Just the everyday abuse that the RMR is subject to during duty use. I don't have any first hand experience with the Romeo.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Before you decide, see Aaron Cowen’s videos with Sage Dynamics. He’s tested lots of RDS systems and really likes the RMR.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
Before you decide, see Aaron Cowen’s videos with Sage Dynamics. He’s tested lots of RDS systems and really likes the RMR.

Agreed!

A lot of the rds' he tests fail the drop test, primarily due to the shape (and material) of the glass surround.

Duty use: RMR

Posts: 62 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I would avoid the Romeo1 for one reason, the motac feature is very sensitive. With mine, just walking is enough movement to keep it on. You will probably go through a lot of batteries.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup. Watch this video. Sage Dynamics Romeo

He has quite a few red dot videos worth watching

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
quote:

Yup. Watch this video. Sage Dynamics Romeo

He has quite a few red dot videos worth watching

Thanks for bringing this guy to my attention. I've watched a couple of his videos so far and he does a good job.

I guess if I have to ask the question I already know the answer. RMR it is.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If you intend, in the line of duty, to use your pistol as a hammer repeatedly, get the RMR. If not, the SIG will do just fine.

There’s a point in time where these “torture” videos become a wee bit silly. I like how the RMR fans have already turned on the SRO as being “competition only” despite the fact I would get that it would a damn fine duty optic.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My only experience is with the Sig Romeo 1 on a 320 and not for duty use but just fun.... personally I'm old school and would never rely on my life with a battery in anything.... regardless of the make and model. Don't know about the other one but the one advantage to the Romeo sight on my Sig is you can still use the iron sights.... regardless of if the red dot is working or not.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint ACRO. Sealed sight, less potential issues r.e. occlusion, fogging, projected dot, etc.. It’s the first pistol mounted optic I’ve seen that I’d genuinely consider for duty use.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rmr is the toughest through a multitude of testing if I aggregate everything I've read and seen. I have a gen 1 rm06 and actually prefer the holosun 507c mostly due to the reticle. It's what I run on my current non summer carry. Ill likely run it as a summer carry once I get another 19 frame to chop. Check out the tests on Sage as I think they are worth a watch as folks have already mentioned. If I was buying for duty and wanted the absolute best I'd go.
1. Rmr gen 2 then gen 1.
2. Holosun 507c
3. I'd check out the acro or dpp. The 507 did similar to the acro but is half the price and has an eotech reticle I like for speed. YMMV.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Berg
posted Hide Post
I had an RMR on a Sig and didn't like it. Trying to identify a target/threat while looking through a purple tinted lens was too much for my eyeball and brain.

Posts: 785 | Location: near the 101 and 92 in Calif. | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alma
posted Hide Post
The Romeo1 is durable enough for duty use and is being issued by some Departments.
For duty you should add the Romeo1 Shroud for added ruggedness.

Posts: 254 | Location: Springfield, VA | Registered: November 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alma:
The Romeo1 is durable enough for duty use and is being issued by some Departments.
For duty you should add the Romeo1 Shroud for added ruggedness.

Which departments are issuing it?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
FWIW...I have 4 Acros

Full disclosure: I’m not Leo...I do carry every day

I have over 2000 rounds through 2 of my 4 acros

I have experienced no change in zero

I do not drop my guns intentionally. That said, I do carry off body a lot because I am in gym shorts a ton and I don’t like the on body carry options for a full size gun with a red dot. The gun is contained in a kydex holster in the bag, but the bag still gets dropped and tossed about as any bag would...no zero or damage issues

I have watched Aaron’s video on the acro. I agree with him that the adjustment screws could give more tactile feedback

The big knock on acro thus far has been battery life. I did have one battery die after about 3 months of continual on. I replaced the one dollar battery easily since it has a side battery compartment, and shot it with, again, no zero issues. In this instance trijicon appears to have Aimpoint on battery life. But not having to remove and rezero the optic to replace the battery still gives Aimpoint the win. I do absolutely pick up the dot on the acro faster and more clearly than n rmr. For the original red dot sights I liked the delta point pro better than the rmr.

YMMV

quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Aimpoint ACRO. Sealed sight, less potential issues r.e. occlusion, fogging, projected dot, etc.. It’s the first pistol mounted optic I’ve seen that I’d genuinely consider for duty use.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While Aimpoint has an terrific track record the ACRO is new and so I think falls in the same category as the Romeo 1 for serious use. Not enough time in the field to tell.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are about a dozen guys in my agency carrying the Romeo on duty, both for patrol and SWAT stuff. Most have put the shroud in, some have not. Only issue I have heard of or seen is burning through batteries due to constant movement.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion there is no contest, Trijicon RMR all the way. I was looking for a pistol red dot and I looked at several different brands, I wanted the Aimpoint Acro but not really available and over $600.00 I had to pass for the moment. I even looked at the Trijicon SRO and still pick up the RMR type 2. Today was my first time on my G17 gen 5 and couldn't be happier with my choice, it may not be perfect but I'm confident that will serve me well and I made a great choice.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a Romeo on my duty gun with no issues whatsoever. I just milled a slide to run a trijicon on a sub compact slide.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post