SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New vs Used, when and why.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New vs Used, when and why. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun, depends on the deal. Not long ago I bought a new P226 Tacops for less than I had seen them used-at the same dealer.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
...the "it is out of production, or no longer made statements
Aaron

If the deal is good enough or they are hard to find...

Usually all the cool stuff was made in the '80s.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I purchase more used than new > 4:1

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I actually just went through my guns last week to determine how many I had bought used vs new.

I have bought about 70% used vs 30% new. I don't generally care buying used as long as the gun is in good condition and appears to have been well cared for.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I buy used most of the time, as I like all steel hammer fired guns, and there aren't all that many made anymore. I haven't bought a klunker used gun yet. New? That's a different story. I've had a lot of bad new guns. Last one was about 3 years ago, so I'm overdue.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent a decade buying used exclusively. I broke that trend a couple years ago with a P30 that was the same price as used, then an AR in the same situation, and then a sporting clays gun that was exactly what I wanted at a price I could live with - I was in a situation where I couldn't really wait to find the ideal used gun...

Right now, firearms prices are generally spectacular, I would buy used for things no longer available new.

-shooter

Posts: 342 | Location: VA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I buy almost exclusively used and it's mainly due to price (more bang for the buck). One other neat thing though is that a really great price will sometimes push you into a gun you might not have otherwise considered.

Some examples of used purchases within the last 6 months:

1. Kahr CW9--99% condition in factory box with 1 magazine. Out the door cost $215

2. S&W 442--95% condition, no box or accessories. Out the door cost $239

3. S&W 686 Plus 3" -- 99 % condition, in factory box with set of Almont Wood Grips and factory rubber grips. Out the door price $530

Now there are a rare time when I'll buy something new in box. Things like a new Ruger LCP2 that just came out (well when it just came out) or if I was in the market for a Sig P320RX, it would be hard to find a used one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
New. I like lifetime warranties. I like knowing my paws have been the only ones fondling her. Also night sights are not cheap to replace, so saving money on used to dump money back into sights and springs doesn't make sense to me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Because I have a personal preference for older, German SIGs, I usually buy used. However, when I am not buying a SIG, for example, a smaller carry gun like a Walther PPS, I will usually buy new.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All Polymer Striker fired guns I only buy new and only Glocks. I would rather spend the 50-100 dollars on a new one.

Everything else it just depends. When I decide I NEED another gun and which one I always look here in the classifieds first. If I can't find one here then I ring up my buddy who owns a local gun store and he gets it for me at a fair price. I may pay a few bucks more but as a small business owner myself I would rather support local and my friend. Plus the perks are always nice. He always finds a way to hook me up with something.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say used for the most part. Best deals . No problem buying new though, if the price is right.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all keep it coming. It is good to see most of think similarly.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Even without California's screwed up DOJ "Approved" list (which limits the offerings of new handguns that are available for purchase), I have always enjoyed looking for gold among used firearms that may have had limited production runs. For me, the following are some of my recent finds:
4" Colt Diamondback in .22 LR
4" S&W Model 24 .44 Special
4" S&W Model 617 .22 LR (pre-lock) with stainless steel cylinder
Remington Model 700 Classic in .35 Whelen
Star Model PD .45 ACP
Astra Constable .22 LR
Iver Johnson Bicycle Company .410 SxS shotgun

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy based on price and condition. Everything, new or used, that would be used for carry is thoroughly tested prior to being deployed. LE discount from a lot of manufacturers makes it a lot easier to buy some things new.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I check the used gun counter first, just to see whats what, found a Model 29-3, 686 no dash during the first AR rush. Reason, I wanted to own the 29, the 686 was in great shape and they were priced right.

I bought a Glock 17 and 19 used, a XDs 45, 226, and a few others, if not for finding them I probably wouldn't have put the cash up for those new.

So if they are in great shape and I can get a good price I'll go used.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
I have a smattering of new, but I'd say 95% of my handguns are used.

For some reason, I got hooked on police trade in pistols. That has allowed me to buy several Colt, Smith, SiG,and Glock pistols at a pretty nice price. Most came with factory cases and paperwork too. There is something about looking at a pile of handguns and being able to pick out the one you want and get a really nice one!

Most of my rifles and shotguns I bought used. The only exceptions are the 4 AR-15s that I built out of parts. New receivers and mostly new uppers and hardware.

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I try to buy used. I'd rather someone else take the hit for the new gun. I am a fairly knowledgeable consumer, and can get a pretty good idea of how many miles are on the gun when I buy. I buy new when I can't find what I want used.

I bought a new 938, because I wanted one before there were many on the used market. I also bought a new AR, because the manufacturers I wanted (SIG, Colt, FN (duty grade) S&W (duty grade) never seem to come available used.

At some point, I want a high end 1911, and will likely buy new, as if I am spending that kind of coin, I want exactly what I want. But if I trip over a used one, I will have it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Most of my guns have been new.

Recently however, I bought a used gun. I was not able to afford the model I wanted as a new gun. I found one that was gently used and it was within my budget.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I'm an equal opportunity buyer!

dry-fly here is my FFL/dealer. He would probably appreciate it if I bought more new guns, but I really like the "hunt/find," so I end up with more used guns. Oh, and I like saving a few $'s also. However, if it's not a significant savings, it is certainly easier to have him source it and buy it for me.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
After a few bad experiences, "working guns" - weapons for defense - I will only ever purchase new in the wrapper.

Toys? Depends what I find.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post