SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New vs Used, when and why.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New vs Used, when and why. Login/Join 
posted
I am trying to gauge when people buy used vs nee firearms. Let us first remove the "it is out of production, or no longer made statements".

When would you buy a NEW firearm?

When would you buy a USED firearm?

I am on my cell now but will post my reasonings for me later in the am.
Aaron

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I purchased used on any gun if I can, or if there is a significant cost savings by doing so. Of course, there's always the used gun in the case that never got fired but traded on something else, which falls into the significant savings vs a new one. A Glock, for example, is a double edged sword. Since I only want Gen 4's, it's tough to find them used and when you do, they're not much cheaper than the blue line pricing I can get on new ones.

Or, if it's a gun I know very well in terms of replacing parts/springs etc., I would buy a beater that's been shot a ton and just do my own work to save money that way.

I only buy new if the price difference isn't much, or if I can't find what I want, used. Or, if I just want to buy new.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I buy almost all new firearms with excepetions for a couple German made/proofed SIGs that I could have not bought new. I can be patient and wait for a great price and typically buy online. To me it is well worth it and for my piece of mind to have a new from the factory pistol that has lifetime warranty as almost all my pistols have other than my one CZ that has a five year warranty. So far I have kept all my pistols and research and try them out before buying. I am not an impulsive buyer.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cpu is still updating. So please forgive the phone typing.

I buy used almost exclusively used. With a few minor caveats.

First i wait for a deal. I have a list of guns i want and i hunt for them at a price i am willing to pay and no more. Often i will find new in that price point. Ie my Khar m1 carbine, or my jericho 941. Sometimes my dan wessons.

Second, i do not by tuned guns. Period, ever, with out any exceptions. I will send a gun out to be worked on, aka my BHP, and i will demand high end price for the work if i sell a gun i have had work done on. I will not buy them. To many soured deals.

Third if there is a new gun model, i have learned to wait. Listen observe, and snatch up deals. If it is something that peaks my interest i might buy it new depending on the price. Ie hudson h9.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I am trying to gauge when people buy used vs nee firearms. Let us first remove the "it is out of production, or no longer made statements".

When would you buy a NEW firearm?

When would you buy a USED firearm?

I am on my cell now but will post my reasonings for me later in the am.
Aaron

Typically, I tend to give weight to the following:

New:

1. If it's something that I've shot or owned before and has the specific features I want.

2. If there is little used inventory to be found.

3. If a warranty is non-transferable.

Used:

1. If the condition and cost savings offset any potential benefits of buying new.

2. If I'm looking for something to use as the basis for a project.

3. If there is something that I've always wanted to try, but, don't want to take a large loss if I find that it's really not for me.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy used guns when shopping for vintage or if the price and condition are better than buying new. Otherwise I buy new.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Assuming the exact same model and same or close-to-same production generation, I choose new typically unless I happen to come across a price on a used example that's just too good to pass on. As well this will also depend upon the condition of the used firearm. All that said, those used, rarely if ever fired gems seldom happen for me, only about once or twice in the past 10 years, and one of those I chose new because the other was missing some pieces that should've been with that gun's complete kit. OTOH, I've had better luck among those discontinued ones you aren't asking about in this thread. Wink

There are some guns that, over the years of its production, may wear the same name but I don't consider them the same. SIGs for example: German vs NH. They both may say "P226" in the rollmark and most if not all parts may be interchangeable, but because of history and/or provenance I don't consider them the same gun.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I almost always buy used, either from a LGS or online, such as the classifieds here. Kinda like buying a car, buying used typically gets you more bang for your buck.

My last purchase was a full size P320 in 45 ACP with Sig night sights. It was less than a year old, and I got it for $430 out-the-door.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
new guns,,

I have bought a S&W 66, Lew Horton special, 3" full length ejector, round butt, still have it, bought in 87 or 88,

Ruger P85, brand spanking new, 1986 or so, traded off almost immediately for a 1911, it sucked

RIA 1911 in 38 super, clearance from a distributor,,, maybe mid 2000's, shoots well, still have it

Mac 11, NFA,, 1984, $218 cost,, + stamp, flipped it 10 yrs later,,

otherwise every rifle and handgun I have bought has been used, or milsurp,

unless you count new lowers, I have bought a few of them, and some used ones,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used, they are what I can afford to buy.

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a strong preference either way if the price is reasonable for the condition of the item.

Generally speaking, I will buy used if there is a significant savings from new.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Majority new. No real reason but it is nice having the new gun smell with a warranty if needed.

I do buy used guns but I won't wait to buy a used one if that model is still in production.

I'd like to buy more old S&W revolvers and Winchester Lever Actions but the price points are above what I want to pay.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I'm an equal opportunity buyer!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I buy used unless it is a full custom gun built to my specifications or something that I just really really want.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun.

Glocks and SIGs, I prefer older ones.

Old Gen3 Glocks with actual Tenifer and non MIM for example.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like both and I guess for me, it depends on what I want.
Just picked up a used P229 today that I bought here in the classifieds. P239 before that(used), P220 before that(used).
Did purchase a new Colt 1911 this year but the majority of my pistols are used.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Price and make.

I can spend 5 minutes with a SIG or a Glock and tell if it's like 85% of them. Very light use. Most people don't shoot a lot.

I will buy them for a significant savings.

But...Those same people often overpay, especially SIG's so they will sometimes want to sell them too high.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Also, every time I have bought used from Bud's, I couldnt tell them from Brand New.

No smilies.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'll buy new if it's otherwise unavailable or if its a gun I fully expect to keep and shoot for years. I also make a point of buying new if its a gun people are known to monkey with under the proverbial shady tree and I don't know enough about it to spot any problems and set them right. Finally, I'll buy new if the warranty is particularly valuable to me, which is also generally the case if I'm not very familiar with the gun.

Other than that, used is fine - but I generally stick to guns that I'm familiar with or are known for having long and full service lives.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try also to buy used , good savings cant hurt most guns .

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post