SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 Springs and Magazines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 Springs and Magazines Login/Join 
posted
P239 questions below

Question:
i just inherited a P239 and it was suggested I get springs and magazines before I no longer can find them. Which springs should I buy and which magazines? Any idea where? Thanks in advance.

Choices:
springs
magazines

Posts: 15 | Location: Lone Tree Colorado | Registered: September 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I recommend checking this thread about spring replacement schedules:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6801056451

If you plan to do a lot of shooting with the gun (or even if you don’t) the recoil spring is the one that should be replaced most frequently for long life. The others are mostly preventative maintenance items that probably won’t fail, but should be replaced, if possible, to avoid problems.

As for sources, there are several vendors that carry SIG parts. Top Gun Supply and Midwest Gun Works are two that I’ve purchased from several times. When things start drying up, though, sometimes Numrich and CDNN will have parts that no one else seems to stock.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I recommend checking this thread about spring replacement schedules:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6801056451

If you plan to do a lot of shooting with the gun (or even if you don’t) the recoil spring is the one that should be replaced most frequently for long life. The others are mostly preventative maintenance items that probably won’t fail, but should be replaced, if possible, to avoid problems.

As for sources, there are several vendors that carry SIG parts. Top Gun Supply and Midwest Gun Works are two that I’ve purchased from several times. When things start drying up, though, sometimes Numrich and CDNN will have parts that no one else seems to stock.
Thanks so much, just what I needed to know!

Posts: 15 | Location: Lone Tree Colorado | Registered: September 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For springs go here. These guys have been doing this for a long time and they make great stuff across the board. Hopefully the link takes you to the P239 if not just go to the Sig section etc etc.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG...239/cID1/mID4/dID256

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks man, truly appreciated!

posted Hide Post
The P239 recoil springs are the same as the SP2022 (SigPro) recoil springs. The SP2022 is still in production (until at least the year 2022), so don't worry about recoil springs just yet.

I've read on the Internet (so it must be true) that P225A1 magazine bodies are the same as P239 magazine bodies.

I was surprised to actually find P239 magazines in stock at a few online retailers. So...

Stock up on magazines this year, and on recoil springs next year.

Posts: 830 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For mag springs, you can’t go wrong with Wolff.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'll have to defer to the experts here... but I'm still waiting to need to replace a spring on any of the semi-auto pistols I own and shoot. I guess from a 'just to be prepared' standpoint it would be good to have replacement springs and parts... but I've chosen over the years to look at it a different way... when you find a gun you really like that functions well and would be what you would choose to use if the need arises and on top on top of that hold its value... just buy a 2nd and 3rd one....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Your other comments are useful, but this I totally disagree with:

quote:
Originally posted by Sundo:
Stock up on magazines this year, and on recoil springs next year.

If you think you will need it in the future, buy now. None of those things will go bad because they’re not used right away. In my time here I have seen countless examples of the supplies of things like gun parts drying up very quickly. The events of the past year should have demonstrated that, and not only for discontinued guns or for the most popular guns. As has been reported here, even things like some precision rifle barrels have become hard to obtain.

And no, it never happens literally overnight, but sometimes it seems like it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Parts can dry up fast, only count on what you have in hand. In many cases you are your own resupply.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All good advice, but one query: What caliber is it??? Makes a total difference for both springs and mags.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm

Picture of g26s239
posted Hide Post
I have read that magazines are harder to get. But my current 9mm 239 is one I bought in 2005 and the 357/40 was traded for in 2008 so I didn't have to do any panic magazine shopping when Sig announced they were dropping the P239. Is yours 9mm or 40?

Posts: 1284 | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
For springs go here. These guys have been doing this for a long time and they make great stuff across the board. Hopefully the link takes you to the P239 if not just go to the Sig section etc etc.

why am I only seeing hammer and mag springs at link? .

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Speaking of magazines.... I have a few laying around and loaded for my 'couple' of Sigs I have in various places... the other day I decided to look in the Sig boxes I have stored away to see if there were any spare magazines in any of them:

Seems every box had one - three magazines in it... I started putting a red tape on each box that had an extra magazine or more in it.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
why am I only seeing hammer and mag springs at link? .

Because that’s all they make for the P239. They offer recoil springs for some other models as well, but the P239 uses a different design of recoil spring with flat coils and thinner guide rod.

Based on my couple of decades or so of experience with Wolff, they don’t try to produce any of the myriad other springs in SIG pistols. It’s necessary to find factory parts from the factory or other vendors, and that’s why when a gun is discontinued by the factory, don’t wait to stock up on spares.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Function BEFORE Luxury. Having the pistol sidelined for lack of a small spring means that all those extra magazines you purchased are now worthless for actually shooting. So get the parts you need to keep operating before spending any funds on magazines.

Note, I am assuming that you have at least one magazine at present, if you don''t have any magazines that is a matter of Function and should be your first purchase.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Ahhh the P239. Still my favorite carry gun. Congrats on the new pistol!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'll have to defer to the experts here... but I'm still waiting to need to replace a spring on any of the semi-auto pistols I own and shoot. I guess from a 'just to be prepared' standpoint it would be good to have replacement springs and parts... but I've chosen over the years to look at it a different way... when you find a gun you really like that functions well and would be what you would choose to use if the need arises and on top on top of that hold its value... just buy a 2nd and 3rd one....

Today I replaced my recoil spring on my .40 P239. It was the original spring. I didn't have to throw my gun away and buy a new one.
I can't afford to buy a new gun when the spring(s) needs replacement, nor wait till the gun rails are damaged to the point it is no longer safe.

I'm a proponent of prodigious amounts of grease in my rails to prevent excessive wear but that is secondary to a proper recoil spring.
I'll also defer to experts as I am not one, but spare guns are not a proper substitute for spare parts. Unless you are throwing guns away.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, someone explain to me how you determine that a spring needs replacing other that it just breaking? What is for me a more important question is how often does this happen and what is the approximate number of rounds through the average well made semi-auto pistol before this occurs?

I don't shoot my pistols that much and when I do it's probably 20 our 30 rounds max through one. I read sometimes about some folks who go through 2oo-500 rounds every time they go to a range and that is often.... but is that really what most gun enthusiast do?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"