SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which is better a nice 9mm 1911 or Sig P210?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is better a nice 9mm 1911 or Sig P210? Login/Join 
posted
Lately I’ve had a bug to pick up a nice 1911 in 9mm but I’m starting to think I should consider a Swiss P210. Is there a consensus on the board as to which is better? Just curious.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Technically, the P210 was two generations ahead of the Goverment model. It´s barrel locking mechanism is stiff and does not rely on the precison of a barrel bushing or a barrel link. Accuracy is better for that reason. The sear in a P210 has a transfer ratio which can be adjusted very precisely. While you have to take what you get when you are tuning the Goverment trigger, the P210 trigger can be adjusted to personal preferences.

Both of these advantages of the P210 can be experienced when both pistols are shot beyond 15 yds. The only advantage the Government model has over the P210 is speed. It´s safety is faster. So is a magazine change.

The debate between Swiss or German made quality and accuracy is irrational and based on owneship pride. Nobody ever came up with a rational explanation why one was better then the other but with non saying worlds like "different quality"...whatever that means.

If one wants to have the advantages of the Goverment model in a P210 the Legend would be my choice. If it´s only between the two, the P210, probably the Legende would always be my prefered choice.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better for what?
Out of the box, the Switzer will be more accurate and likely more reliable.
But, it has lower magazine capacity and less ergonomic controls. Also bites the hand of some who feed it.
How many NRA, USPSA, or IDPA shooters do you see campaigning a P210?

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Trick question?

A nice 9mm 1911, of course.

trigger, trigger, trigger.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’d choose a P210, but a P210A (current production) rather than a Swiss P210.

It’ll be interesting to see what Robert Burke can do with the P210A trigger. He did a superb job on the trigger of my X5 Comp.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8853 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you are calling a nice 1911. Ruger? Springfield? Kimber? SVI?

How difficult would it be to obtain replacement parts if something breaks or you want extra mags?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
1911 if it is also going to be carried.

P210 if it is a range gun only.

Just my humble opinion.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I own a Swiss P210-6 and an Ed Brown 1911 in 9mm. For me the P210 is more comfortable, a better shooter, and has a better trigger.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
LVJD, I honestly don't think there is a "better". I enjoy both, and think it comes down to which fits a person better, and the intended use. For most uses, I prefer the 1911 type. But for a recreational/fun gun at the range, exhibiting an excellent trigger, splendid accuracy and boring reliability without any tinkering, tuning, polishing or adjusting,the 210s are worthy of serious consideration IMHO. The 210s were designed as military pistol,and could certainly be called upon to perform in more serious roles, than range plinker or target pistol, according to the needs or desire of the owner. I don't think the 210 would let a person down in whatever role it was assigned, but I suspect most shooters now days might prefer something else as a general use SD/HD/Duty/carry/competition, etc. pistol....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I’ll throw a wrench in the works - have you handled and shot a Browning Hipower? Specifically any of the FN made pieces? I think mine is Belgian made and built in Portugal. Parkerized, so not really concerned with extra careful handling to protect the finish.

Sweet piece, nice size, 9mm, 13 in the mag.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’d choose a P210, but a P210A (current production) rather than a Swiss P210.

It’ll be interesting to see what Robert Burke can do with the P210A trigger. He did a superb job on the trigger of my X5 Comp.

Robert doesn't work on P210s.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I didn’t know that Robert doesn't work on P210s. Thanks for that info. A Sig that TheSigArmorer doesn’t work on…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8853 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you using it for?

Which 1911? I'd say if you're comparing like to like.....such as a 210 to a Ed Brown or similar, it's going to come down to how the gun fits you/feel.....don't forget the high dollar S+W 952 I think it was they made which also was a very accurate pistol.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
*** bias alert ***

I've never had a 1911 that I felt I would keep forever and never part with. And I've had Dan Wesson, Colt, and Springfield. We're not talking about Philippine made guns here.

That said:

After watching my brother try and fail to get a few up-market 9mm 1911s functioning, I wouldn't give a warm cup of piss for any of them.

A P210 however, now that gets my blood going.

Here's the rub. With a P210, you are getting a service pistol that was specifically tuned to run the 9mm Luger round. With a 1911, you are getting a somewhat finicky service pistol that was made to run the .45, and then re-tuned to run the 9mm.

For 9mm, I'd definitely go with the 210. For .45 however, I'd go with an all metal single stack platform that was built to run it accurately and reliably . . . . . like the P220. Razz

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Tough one. For most purposes I'd not hesitate to choose a Swiss P210 over most premium 1911s. However I do covet the fit, finish and superb quality of Bill Wilson's creations and if I were choosing a defensive carry gun out of the two (HAH! Fat chance for this thumb-safety averse Glock guy) I'd pick a 1911, specifically WC's EDC X9. Another one of those was transferred in by a customer recently and I must say that I certainly would like to have one of those...someday.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So the question was a P210 or a 1911? I've never seen a "not nice" P210. I've seen way too many not nice 1911. Just due to probability, there are some not so nice P210s around. I don't know where, but maybe back in their country of origin. Remember, all 1911s aren't the quality of the 1911s we see from the custom makers. Like nearly all the issued ones. Not a fair test.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Um...a Swiss P210 or a nice 1911. What's so unfair about that? Especially considering what the asking price for a obviously used (but not beat) Swiss P210 is these days. You can definitely buy a new Baer or Ed Brown for that kind of money. Or even a base EDC X9 without adds, depending how greedy the seller is.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You stumped me with this question. I really like nice 1911's in 9mm due to arthritis. But, I also own a legend and find it flawless. I shoot a Brown Executive Elite and a Baer long slide PPC in 9mm. I am no help to you though because I can't pick which I like best. The Les Baer is well broken in now and may just be the smoothest pistol I have ever used.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post