SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lucas Oil and Grease
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lucas Oil and Grease Login/Join 
posted
Was using TW25 and Slip 2000 or Break Free. Recently switched to Lucas oil and grease. The grease is a lot heavier than TW25. Also recently started following Florks lube recommendations. Now though, whenever I handle my 320 I get grease on my hands. I cleaned the grip module plastic with alcohol and the slide is wiped with CLP and a silicon cloth. Was wondering if others have found this also or maybe I should use less grease, Flork does use alot of grease,

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figure it's easier to add more than take some off. So I put the minimal amount on, reassemble and rack a dozen times then break it back down. Add more grease if needed.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
Typically striker fired guns do not need a whole lot of lubrication. For the P320, I'd probably use oil on most of it except the areas where the bars are moving on the FCG

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adequate grease or oil should exist between contact surfaces to reduce friction. Any in excess of that will serve no purpose with regard to lubrication.

Glock has perhaps the most minimal lubrication instruction, putting a single drop of oil in several key points. I use grease and I lubricate more areas, but excess of anything to the point that it is interfering with your grip isn't helping. It's reached a point of diminishing returns.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:
Typically striker fired guns do not need a whole lot of lubrication. For the P320, I'd probably use oil on most of it except the areas where the bars are moving on the FCG

Yep, I have never used grease on a SF gun. A little oil is all they need.

Q

Posts: 26323 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Although I'd rather use a bit more lube, then not have enough, I've always thought Flork's recommendations were a bit heavy.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will go back to oil on the 320 except for a few spots. Seeing all that grease in the Flork picture I thought maybe that was a better way to do it.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Depends on the usage. When I was making frequent trips down to Roger's Shooting School, I would use grease on the rails of anything I was using. If I go to a high round count class, I grease the rails. It's simple. Grease does a better job at making the gun run smoother, especially where heat is introduced.

Glock does advocate really minimal lube. I greased the rails on carry guns for the longest of times, but have since discontinued it. But, with that being said, if I do not use the gun for a couple of weeks, I will strip it down, wipe it down, and relube it. I do the same practice with ARs. I'll run one or two clean patches down the bore while I'm at it.

Most guns I see are woefully underlubed.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Lucas grease on the rails and Lucas oil on the other parts.

Oddly, I like the way the stuff smells too.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Lucas extreme gun oil and have been very happy with it.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig78257:
Was using TW25 and Slip 2000 or Break Free. Recently switched to Lucas oil and grease. The grease is a lot heavier than TW25. Also recently started following Florks lube recommendations. Now though, whenever I handle my 320 I get grease on my hands. I cleaned the grip module plastic with alcohol and the slide is wiped with CLP and a silicon cloth. Was wondering if others have found this also or maybe I should use less grease, Flork does use alot of grease,

I only wipe the slide down with a dry patch. After cleaning teh slide usually has alot of CLP on it and the dry patches clean all the CLP off the outside of the slide.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
I've personally discontinued all grease and am sticking with Lucas Extreme. It's decent and pretty cheap.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a thorough cleaning with denatured alcohol, I use a patch with oil on hammer and striker pistols. I do put oil drops on some parts where the patch cannot reach. Then, I grease the rails (two dots on each side) and the barrel, no matter the Hf or Sf. Oh, I run a patch of Otis solvent down the barrel a few times until it comes out clean.
All excess grease or oil is wiped off with an absorbent paper towel but only after the gun is put back together and racked a number of times.
other than alcohol, I use Lucas oil and grease, save for the Otis product.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
Yeah the P320 is a different animal then the old P Series per Flork's guide. Grease on the trigger bar where it runs over the frame of the FCU helps on the P320. I learned that from the Grayguns trigger installation video. A tad on the FCU "rails" and oil of the outer barrel. A little oil on the recoil assembly and sometimes a little grease where the barrel hood rubs on the slide. Cycles slick. I have never had a failure from too much lube unless it gets in the striker channel or extractor channel.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I tried both. To be honest, a company puts a real bad taste in my mouth when they put nothing into R&D, and just re-bottle an off the shelf lube they already have in inventory, and sell it as gun lube.

The gun grease is nothing more than Lucas marine grease, with a 1000% markup. It smells terrible too.

I prefer a thinner grease then #2 wheel bearing grease on my guns. The TW25B is about right. The ALG very thin grease is about right as well.

I removed both products from my cleaning kit and am going a different direction.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I did a little research awhile back to see if there were any comparable greases available to average folks that could be used for firearms and that had similar technical properties to Lucas gun grease.

What I found was that brake caliber grease available at your local Auto parts store has some comparable and impressive tech properties as compared to gun greases like Lucas. Specifically this stuff: CRC Brake Caliber Grease

The CRC brake grease has a very high temp operating range, an impressive Timken load OK of 60 lbs and it is designed to resist wash out. If you want to save on grease price then perhaps buy a bottle of brake grease rather than gun grease.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post